Cedar County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Akard (later Owen's Mill, q.v.)
Description:Akard is a trading-point near the mouth of Bear Creek. It was named for Judge J.M. Akard. It was established at the close of the Civil War, and before Owen's Mill. (J.A. Jackson, J.A. Gunnier)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Alder Creek
Description:Alder Creek is a small stream which flows near El Dorado and empties into Cedar Creek. It was so named because of the many alder bushes growing along its course. (John Rountree; J.A. Jackson)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Alder School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Alice
Description:The name of a store eight miles northwest of Stockton. It was founded about 1870. It was named for a woman in the neighborhood very likely. (J.A. Jackson; J.A. Gunnier)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Amity School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Arnica (later Fincastle, q.v.)
Description:Named for a spring which people thought contained the medicinal properties of arnica. Since 1882 it has been known as Fincastle. (George Hornbeck; J.A. Gunnier)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Arnica School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Baker's Store
Description:Baker's Store is a country store which was named for the owner and has been in operation since 1915. (J.A. Jackson; J.A. Gunnier)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Balm (earlier Cedar Springs, q.v.)
Description:Balm was so named because of the medicinal nature of the water in the vicinity. The site was laid out in 1844 by Thomas Eslinger. It is the same place as Cedar Springs. (Missouri (16), p. 421; J.A. Jackson)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Barnes School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Bear Creek (also Payntersville, q.v.)
Description:This village was named for Bear Creek because it is near that creek. This name is the one favored for the post office when names were submitted to the Postal Department. Bear Creek (village) began as a trading-point in the 1850s. (John Rountree) Just after the Civil War Charles W. Paynter and Jefferson Jackson opened a store there. So people began to call the village Payntersville, but the post office still bears the name of Bear Creek. (J.A. Jackson; J.S. Bacon)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Bear Creek School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Bell's Mill
Description:Bell's Mill was built on Bear Creek in the 1840s and was named for the builder and operator, a Mr. Bell. (J.A. Weaver; J.S. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Benton Township
Description:Benton Township was laid out by the first court in 1845 and was named for Senator Thomas H. Benton of Missouri. (Missouri (16), p. 390)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Bethel School
Description:A transferred name from the Bible or a church.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Blakey's Mill
Description:Blakey's Mill was built in the 1840s on Sac River by a Mr. Blakey. (J.D. Hendricks; Missouri (16), p. 360)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Bluff Springs School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Boggy Springs School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Box Township
Description:Box Township was laid out by the court in 1855. A citizen of the neighborhood, a Mr. Box, dug his coffin out of a big walnut log about 1835. There was so much comment on this rather odd performance that Mr. Box was soon very well known. The township was named for him. (J.A. Jackson; Missouri (16), p. 390)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Bugtussle
Description:Bugtussle is a store established about 1921 east of Arnica. After the name was jokingly applied to the place it came to be used by common consent. (J.A. Gunnier; A.M. Weaver)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cane Hill
Description:Cane Hill is a trading-point in the southern part of the county. Tom Dale, and his son, Bill, and John M. Rountree, a son-in-law of Dale, opened the first business there in 1868. Tom Dale named the place Cane Hill because of the abundance of cane produced in the neighborhood. (John M. Rountree)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cane Hill School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Caplinger Mills (earlier Williams Mill, q.v.; later Sacville, q.v.)
Description:A village named for Samuel Caplinger who moved there from Tennessee in 1842 and bought Williams Mill on Sac River. It was known for a while as Sacville, and the post office obtained under that name still remains. (J.A. Jackson; Eaton (28), p. 273; Williams (20), p. 22)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Caplinger Mills School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cedar Church
Description:This Baptist Church, organized by Obadiah Smith in 1838, was named for the creek on which it was built. It served as church, schoolhouse, and community center for many years. (Willimas (20), p. 37-38)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cedar County
Description:Cedar County was named from Cedar Creek (q.v.). Eaton is mistaken when he says that the county took its name from its main stream. Sac River is the main stream, as it runs entirely across the county from south to north. The upper half of Cedar Creek lies in Dade County, while the lower half is in Cedar. He is right in the statement that cedars are along its bluffs. That was true of most of the hill streams in the early days. The county was organized February 14, 1845, by an act of the Legislature. (Session Acts 1844-5; R.L. Myers)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cedar Creek
Description:Cedar Creek was so called because of the cedars along its bluffs. It has been known by this name since pioneer days. (W.F. Ringo; Dr. E.V. Lafoon)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cedar Hall School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cedar Mill
Description:John G. Williams from Cole County moved to Cedar County in 1837 and built this mill on Cedar Creek, from which it got its name. (Williams (20), p. 14)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cedar Springs (later Balm, q.v.)
Description:Cedar Springs, established about 1880, was named for Cedar County. (A.M. Weaver; J.A. Jackson)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cedar Springs School (2)
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cedar Township
Description:Cedar Township was laid out by the first court in 1845. It was named for the county. (Missouri (16), p. 390)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Center School (2)
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Centerville
Description:Centerville, a trading-point eighteen miles northwest of Stockton, was a very early place. It was destroyed during the Civil War and was never rebuilt. No reason for the name is known. (Campbell (47), p. 127)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cherry Creek
Description:Cherry Creek flows into Horse Creek and was named for the cherry trees which line its course. (James Lanning; G.W. Brown)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cherry Valley School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Childers Creek
Description:Childers Creek was named for pioneers of that name who lived along its course. (A.M. Weaver; F.M. Davis)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Claud
Description:Charles E. Eliston put up the store and had the trading-point named Claud for his nephew. (J.S. Bacon; J.A. Jackson)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Clear Creek
Description:Clear Creek was so named by the pioneers because of the appearance of the water. (J.S. Bacon; J.A. Jackson)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Clear Spring (later Lebeck, q.v.)
Description:Clear Spring was an earlier name for Lebeck. It took its name from Clear Creek. (J.A. Jackson; J.S. Bacon)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cline Hill School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Clintonville
Description:Clintonville was laid out in 1857 by G.B. Adcock. It was named for the neighboring town of Clinton. (Campbell (47); Missouri (16), p. 420)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Clintonville School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Collins School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Concord School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cook's Mill
Description:This mill, one mile below the mouth of Horse Creek on a little branch two hundred yards away from Cedar Creek, was named for its builder and owner, a Mr. Cook. (Francis Kirby; G.W. Brown)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Crackerbox
Description:Crackerbox is the name of a store which was opened about 1910 and was operated for about ten years. The store was so small that it suggested the name Crackerbox to some local joker, who called it that. (Sol Hartley; George Hornbeck)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Crow's Mill
Description:Crow's Mill was built on Cedar Creek in the 1840s or 1850s. It was named for its owner. (A.M. Weaver; Missouri (16), p. 357)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Deer Creek
Description:Deer Creek, which flows into Silver Creek, was so named by the pioneers because of the abundance of the deer along the stream. (T.G. Rechow; T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Dixon's Store (also Red Hill, q.v.)
Description:Dixon's Store is the name of a country store which was named for the owner. It has been there since 1900. It is called Red Hill, also. (J.A. Jackson; George Hornbeck)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Dunnegan's Mill
Description:Francis Dunnegan, an uncle of T.H.B. Dunnegan of Bolivar, a pioneer, settled near Sac River in 1856 and built a mill just above the bridge on what is now United States Highway 54. It was used until about 1880. (T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:East Fork (also Little Sac, q.v.)
Description:East Fork was used in the early days in Cedar County to designate the east fork of Sac River which is now called Little Sac. (J.A. Bacon; J.S. Bacon)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:El Dorado School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:El Dorado Springs
Description:El Dorado Springs is a rather noted health resort. It was laid out on July 20, 1881, by Natt and Peyton Cruse who opened the first business there. The name El Dorado, which means "The Golden" in Spanish, was probably given in honor of one of the fourteen other cities of that name in the United States. (A.M. Weaver; F.M. Davis; Eaton (28), p. 273)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Elliston School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Excelsior School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Fair View School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Filley
Description:Filley was named for Chauncey I. Filley, Senator, from St. Louis. (J.A. Jackson; George Hornbeck)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Fincastle (earlier Arnica, q.v.)
Description:Fincastle, which was at first Arnica, was laid out in 1882 by T.T. Loy and M. Jacobs. No reason for its name is known. (James Lanning; A.M. Weaver)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Flat Rock School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Flowing Springs School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Forest Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Forest Home School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Fowler School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Fremont (earlier Lancaster, q.v.; finally Stockton, q.v.)
Description:Fremont was a new name given to Lancaster in 1847. It was named for General John C. Fremont, the great western explorer. It held the name of Fremont from 1847 to 1857. At that time it was changed to Stockton. (Missouri (16), p. 174; A.M. Weaver)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Friendship School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Gordon School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Graceland
Description:Graceland was so named from the beautiful country about it. Rural delivery soon closed the post office, which was obtained about 1900. (George Hornbeck; J.A. Gunnier)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Green Ridge School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Gum Springs
Description:Gum Springs is the name of an old Cumberland Presbyterian campground four miles west of Stockton. It was named for a family of Gums, local landowners. (J.A. Gunnier; J.A. Jackson)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Gum Springs School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Hall School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Hamlet (earlier Sexson, q.v.)
Description:Hamlet is the same site as Sexson and was called Hamlet for Charles Hamlet, the owner of the store. It has been under this name but a few years. (J.D. Hendricks; J.A. Gunnier)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Hartley
Description:Hartley is the name of a store established about 1914 in the southeast part of the county. It was named for Dick Hartley, the owner. (Sol Hartley)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Hartley School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Hazel Dell School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Hickory Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:High Point School (2)
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Hudson School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Hyattsville (later Olympia, q.v.)
Description:Named for a Mr. Hyatt who first began business there. It soon took on the name of Olympia. (A.M. Weaver; James Lanning)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Independence School (2)
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Ivy
Description:W.E. Phipps started a store in this place about 1910 and named it Ivy because of the quantity of ivy growing on the swamp land in the vicinity. (J.D. Hendricks; George Hornbeck)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Jackson School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Jaketown (post office Mollie, q.v.)
Description:Jaketown is the name of the trading-point for the Mollie post office and was named for Jake Dixon who owns the store. (J.A. Gunnier; George Hornbeck)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Jefferson Township
Description:Laid out by the first court in 1845. It was named for Thomas Jefferson. (Missouri (16), p. 390)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Jerico Springs
Description:In June, 1882, D.G. Stratton bought some land and laid out the town of Jerico Springs, which is noted locally for its medicinal springs. The name Jerico is a combination of the ancient Jericho with that of an early owner of the townsite, Joseph B. Carico. (A.M. Weaver; Eaton (28), p. 273)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Jerusalem
Description:Jerusalem is a name given jokingly by the residents to a part of Jerico Springs that is cut off from the main village by Jordan Creek. Although Jerusalem has no legal standing, the people of the region know it well and get much amusement from their imaginary Biblical trips from one town to the other. (A.M. Weaver; James Lanning)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Johnson School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Jordan Creek
Description:This is a little stream running through Jerico Springs dividing Jerico Springs proper (q.v.) on the east from Jerusalem (q.v.) on the west. It was jokingly named from the river in Palestine, as it was near Jerico. (A.M. Weaver; James Lanning)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Kader
Description:Kader was a country store about the time of the Civil War. Julian Osborne, owner of the store, named the place Kader for a friend, who later became postmaster. (Francis Kirby; A.M. Weaver)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Kinneytown
Description:Kinneytown was the name of a store on the highway between Stockton and Fair Play. It was established about 1905 and named for the man who owned it. (J.D. Hendricks; J.A. Gunnier)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lamberton's Store
Description:This trading-point was named for Christopher I. Lamberton, who built the store in 1838. (Williams (20), p. 14)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lancaster (later Fremont, q.v.; then Stockton, q.v.)
Description:At the meeting of the court February 11, 1846, it was ordered that the commissioner of the permanent seat of justice lay off the town of Lancaster. It was very likely named for one of the seventeen other Lancasters in the United States. (Missouri (16), p. 408)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lebeck (earlier Clear Springs, q.v.)
Description:Lebeck is a trading-point established in 1868 by Noah Graham. It was named for the Lebeck family, who were prominent people and friends of Graham. (J.A. Gunnier; Campbell (47)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lelia
Description:The name of a store established about 1905. Tradition says it was named for a woman in the neighborhood. (J.D. Hendricks; J.A. Jackson)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Liberty Hall School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lindley Prairie School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Linn Township
Description:Laid out by the first court in 1845. It was named for the abundance of linden trees in the region. (See Lin Branch, Dade) (W.G. Brown; A.M. Weaver)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Love School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Madison Township
Description:Madison Township was laid out in 1845 by the court. It was named for James Madison. (Missouri (16), p. 390)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Masters
Description:This is a trading-point in the southeastern part of the county. About 1895 Colonel James Masters, a prominent lawyer of Springfield, made a speech there during a political campaign, and the residents named the place for him. (J.D. Hendricks; A.J. Gunnier)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Meadow
Description:This little store in Washington Township was named for the beautiful meadow at the site of the store. (J.A. Gunnier; George Hornbeck)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mitchell School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mollie (post office of the trading-point Jaketown, q.v.)
Description:Mollie was one of the names submitted to the Postal Department by Jake Dixon of Jaketown. It was named for a woman in his family. (J.A. Gunnier; George Hornbeck)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Montgomery School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mount Enon School
Description:A transferred name from the bible or a church.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mount Langdon
Description:This was a trading-point a half mile southwest of Pleasant View near a mill on Cedar Creek. The origin of the name is unknown. (James Lanning; J.D. Hendricks)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mount Olive School
Description:A transferred name from the Bible or a church.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mountain Grove School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Needmore
Description:Needmore is the name of a store three miles northeast of Cane Hill. It was established about 1900 and was named for a local joker as a pleasant criticism of the small amount of goods in stock. (George Hornbeck; J.A. Gunnier)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Olympia (earlier Hyattsville, q.v.)
Description:After Hyatt established his store in 1895, he submitted names to the Postal Department and asked for an office. From his list of names the department selected Olympia, probably from one of the four Olympias in other states. (A.M. Weaver; James Lanning)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Omer (earlier Whitehare, q.v.)
Description:About 1880 Clem Jordan submitted three names for this post office, and the Postal Department changed the name of Whitehare to Omer, one of the three submitted. The postmaster said that his reason for asking for a change was to get a shorter name for the office. He probably took it from someone in the neighborhood, as Omer is a common Christian name. (Francis Kirby; A.M. Weaver)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Osiris
Description:Established in 1900 by J.M. Biddy who submitted names and got an office in 1902. He stated that he wanted a name different from others. He chose the name Osiris from Egyptian mythology, in which Osiris is the god of light, health, and agriculture. (A.M. Weaver)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Owen's Mill (earlier Akard, q.v.)
Description:Built about 1870 at Akard (q.v.). The importance of the mill caused people to cease using the name Akard and call it Owen's Mill for the name of the man who built and operated it. (J.A. Gunnier; George Hornbeck)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pacetown (Nicknames: Pepperville, Sandridge, and Smackout, q.v.)
Description:Pacetown was named for Ike Pace, who established a store there in 1904. (A.M. Weaver; G.W. Brown)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Parker School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Payntersville (earlier Bear Creek, q.v.)
Description:Charles W. Paynter and Jefferson Jackson began business here just after the Civil War. The name of Bear Creek was soon changed by the people to Payntersville in honor of the popular young merchant, Charles W. Paynter. (John Rountree)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pepperville (Pacetown, q.v.)
Description:Pepperville is the name given by Ike Pace to the place which his neighbors insisted on calling Pacetown. He said he wanted it to be a "hot place." (A.M. Weaver; G.W. Brown)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pleasant Ridge School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pleasant View (earlier Zinn's Mill, q.v.)
Description:Pleasant View is the name of the trading-point and post office on the old site of Zinn's Mill. It was named for it's location. (J.A. Gunnier; Missouri (16), p. 422)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Polecat Creek
Description:This creek was named for pioneer hunters because of the abundance of the cats in early days. (James Lanning; G.W. Brown)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Potter School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Prairie Mound School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Prairie Valley School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Prairie View School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Red Hill (also Dixon's Store, q.v.)
Description:Red Hill was so named from a badly-washed red hill between the store and the river nearby. It is a nickname for Dixon's Store. (J.A. Jackson; George Hornbeck)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Red Hill School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Rock School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Roland School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Rose Hill School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Rowland
Description:Rowland is a little trading-point in the southern part of the county. It was named for R.P. Rowland who got the post office in about 1908 and still owns the place. (A.M. Weaver; G.W. Brown)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Sac River
Description:There is a well-grounded tradition that during the 1820s the Sac Indians held some pow-wows at the big spring where Stockton now stands and that the earliest pioneers named the stream for them. We find also that the Sac Indians lived in the western part of Hickory County about fifteen miles from Stockton. (H.H. Howard; Missouri (16), p. 214)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Sacville (later Caplinger Mills, q.v.)
Description:Sacville, now known as Caplinger Mills, was a trading-point on the Sac River. The place was laid out in 1870 by Shadrach Chandler who named it for the Sac River. (Missouri (16), p. 420; G.W. Brown)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Sand Hill School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Sandridge (later Pacetown, q.v.)
Description:Sandridge is a nickname given to Pacetown before the name was definitely settled upon. It was so called because it was located on a sandy ridge. (A.M. Weaver; Francis Kirby)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Sandridge School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Sexson (later Hamlet, q.v.)
Description:Sexson is the name of a small trading-point in the eastern part of the county. It was named for Mart Sexson, but is now called Hamlet. (George Hornbeck; J.A. Gunnier)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Shady Hill School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Silver Creek
Description:Silver Creek is a small stream which was given this name because it flows near some mines which were supposed to contain silver. (Campbell (47), p. 128)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Smackout (Pacetown, q.v.)
Description:Smackout is a nickname given to Pacetown before the name was definitely decided upon. "Plumb out," "clean out," "slap dab out," and "smack out," with a meaning of "entirely out," of any article are common colloquialisms among Southwest Missouri pioneer settlers. It seems a sound conjecture to account for this name, attached to a very small store, as an application of this colloquialism. (R.L. Meyers; J.M. Weaver)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Snag Creek
Description:Snag Creek was so named in early days because it was usually full of snags. (Francis Kirby; G.W. Brown)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Spring Creek
Description:Spring Creek is the little stream along which the pioneer Dunnegan family settled in the western part of the county. It was named for the big spring at its source. It empties into Bear Creek. (T.H.B. Dunnegan)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Spring Valley School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Stockton (earlier Lancaster, q.v.; then Fremont, q.v.)
Description:When General John C. Fremont became unpopular the people of the village of Fremont petitioned the Legislature to change the name to Stockton, in honor of Commodore Richard Stockton, who is credited with having done much to save California for the United States during the Mexican War. The Legislature approved an act for changing the name to Stockton, January 2, 1847 [1857?] (A.M. Weaver; Session Acts, 1844-1845)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Stony Point School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Taylor's Store (earlier Williamsburg, q.v.)
Description:Taylor's Store is a small trading-point that takes its name from a Mr. Taylor, who owns the store. (A.M. Weaver; J.A. Jackson)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Tingley
Description:A Mr. Van Wormer established a trading-point in 1897 and named it Tingley in honor of an old citizen, Henry Tingley, who was a Dunkard preacher. (A.M. Weaver; F.M. Davis)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Turnback River
Description:A party of pioneers camped on the banks of this river in 1830. Cold weather and rough land caused the party to divide, some going on and entering land and others returning to their home in Tennessee. Because some of the party "turned back" the river was given the name which it bears. (Mrs. C.C. Preston (letter); John Cecil)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Umber
Description:Umber, a store near Cane Hill, was established about 1905 by a Mr. Umber and got its name from him. (John Rountree)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Union Hall School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Vandenburg School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Veercamp School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Virgil City
Description:Virgil City, a very old trading-point on the north line of the county, was laid out in 1866 by B.R. Conyers and Virgil W. Kimball and named for the latter. (Campbell (47), p. 128; A.M. Weaver)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Wagoner School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Walnut Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Washington Township
Description:The court laid out this township in 1854. It was named for George Washington. (Missouri (16), p. 390; A.M. Weaver)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:West Union School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:White Hall School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Whitehare (later Omer, q.v.)
Description:When the mother of A.M. Weaver, as a young woman, lived at this place in 1854, the store was owned and operated by a Mr. Whitehare. About 1880 Clem Jordan requested the Postal Department to change the name to Omer. (A.M. Weaver; Francis Kirby)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Williams Mill (later Caplinger Mills, q.v.; also Sacville, q.v.)
Description:This mill was named for its pioneer owner, who had previously built Cedar Mill. He built this mill on Sac River in 1842 and sold it to Caplinger before the end of the year. (Williams (20), p. 22)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Williamsburg (later Taylor's Store, q.v.)
Description:Taylor's Store was named Williamsburg for Jasper Williams, who lived near the store before Taylor bought it. (A.M. Weaver; J.A. Jackson)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Willowville
Description:Willowville is a small trading-point established about 1905 in the northern part of the county. It is so named because of the willows growing along the little stream nearby. (George Hornbeck; J.A. Jackson)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Wright School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Youngtown
Description:Youngtown is the name of a trading-point established in the early 1890s. It was named for Bud Young, who owned the land. (George Hornbeck; J.A. Jackson)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Zinn's Mill (later Pleasant View, q.v.)
Description:Zinn's Mill was named for the founder of the mill built on Cedar Creek in the 1850s. It later became the site of Pleasant View. (J.A. Gunnier; J.A. Jackson)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names