Callaway County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Acorn School
Description:Name taken from oak trees(?).
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Alexandria
Description:This place was located on the north bank of the Missouri River and was doubtless a boat landing. Nothing definite could be found concerning the history of it or the origin of the name. It has been extinct more than fifty years. (Ovid Bell; David H. Harris; Cited in Beck's GAZETTEER OF MISSOURI & ILLINOIS, p. 259)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ashland School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Atkinson School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Auxvasse
Description:J.A. Harrison settled here in 1871. On October 22, 1873, a town was laid out and called Clinton City. Later it was changed to Auxvasse for the stream on which it is located (q.v.). (Ovid Bell; Conrad, I, p. 47; Gannett, p. 63; HIST. OF CALLAWAY, p. 260)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Auxvasse Creek
Description:"At an early day Lilburn W. Boggs, afterward Governor of the state, was traveling with a company of Frenchmen, and on arriving at the stream attempted to cross. In doing so some of the train mired and were extricated with the greatest difficulty. Hence the party named it "Riviere Auxvasse." The original form was Riviere aux Vases, meaning "river with mud." Vase literally means "mud in the bottom of a river." Vases is the plural form. "Aux" stands for the preposition "a" plus the definite article "les" and means with. People who did not know French might very easily have put the s's together in "vases" and have "vasse." Spelling the two words, Aux Vases, together doubtless came about in the same way. (HIST. OF CALLAWAY, p. 92; Sectional Map of 1844; Littre, p. 1250)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Auxvasse Township
Description:Auxvasse Township was organized February 12, 1821, and named for its principal town and stream (q.v.). (Ovid Bell)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bachelor
Description:This country store received its name from the nearby stream (q.v.). (HIST. CALLAWAY COUNTY, p. 260; Ovid Bell)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bachelor Creek
Description:The name "originated in the fact that two old bachelors, whose names are unknown, camped on the stream through one winter or longer." Their camp is believed to have been located about a mile or more northwest of the present village of Bachelor. (Ovid Bell; Cited on Map of 1860)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bachelor School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Baker School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Barkersville
Description:The origin of the name is unknown. The village was founded about 1867 but has long since been extinct. (Ovid Bell; HIST. CALLAWAY, p. 169).
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Barkersville School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Big Tavern and Little Tavern Creeks
Description:The origin of these names is unknown. (Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Fulton Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Boone's Lick
Description:Boone's Lick was a section of the country in the Missouri valley now occupied by Howard, Boone, Cooper and Callaway Counties. It had no definite boundaries. It received its name, "Boone's Lick," because the two sons of Daniel Boone, Nathan and Daniel, had come to the country in 1807 and made salt from the water of the salt springs they found in the region. (Johnson, p. 55; Barnes, p. 178; Houck, v. III, p. 148)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bougher
Description:Bougher, a railroad switch, was named for A. E. Bougher, who was superintendent of the St. Louis district of the Missouri Kansas Texas line. (J.E. Brossart; Ovid Bell; Cited on Railroad Commissioner's Map 1910) [Southwest corner of the county, 1.4 miles west of North Jefferson, on the railroad.]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bourbon Township
Description:Organized February 21, 1825. The name was given by the early settlers for Bourbon County, Kentucky. (Ovid Bell)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Boyd School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Boydsville
Description:This country store and post office was established June 26, 1858 and named for John K. Boyd, the first postmaster. The post office was discontinued November 21, 1861, re-established in June 1864 and permanently discontinued in 1908 when rural mail routes came in. (HIST. CALLAWAY, p. 251; Ovid Bell; David H. Harris)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Boydsville School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Boyles School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brooks School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Brown School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bryans
Description:Bryans, a flag station for shippers, bears the name of a prominent family in the community. (David H. Harris; Cited on Railroad Commissioner's Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bush School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Caldwell Township
Description:Organized June 5, 1883 and named for the Caldwell family, who were prominent in the township. (Ovid Bell)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Callaway
Description:This country post office was maintained from April 30, 1894 to April 14, 1906. It was named for the county. (Ovid Bell; Cited on Railroad Commissioner's Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Callaway County
Description:Settled by Captain Samuel Boone, nephew of Daniel Boone, in 1818, and organized as a county November 25, 1820. It was named in honor of Captain James Callaway, grandson of Daniel Boone, and one of the leading men of his time in the state. Captain Callaway met his death March 8, 1815 in Montgomery County, where he had led an attack on the Sacs and Foxes who had stolen some horses from the settlers near Loutre Island. (HIST. CALLAWAY, p. 94; Eaton, p. 267; Campbell, p. 94)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Calwood
Description:Named for Cal James and Edward Wood. This name was given March 19, 1874. Previously it had been known as Jones, Tan Yard because Mr. Jones operated a tan yard there. The town is now extinct. (Ovid Bell; HIST. CALLAWAY, p. 254)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Calwood School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Calwood Township
Description:Organized February 23, 1876, and named for its principal town (q.v.). (Ovid Bell)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Carrington
Description:Judge William Carrington had the town surveyed June 5, 1872 and it was named in his honor. Judge Carrington, a very influential citizen, was judge of the county court one term. The town was almost demolished by the cyclone of 1927. (HIST. CALLAWAY, p. 250; Ovid Bell; Eaton, p. 496)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Carrington School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cedar City
Description:Laid out by David Kenney in 1870 and named for the cedar trees on the bluffs near it. (Eaton, p. 496; HIST. CALLAWAY, p. 161)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cedar City School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cedar Creek
Description:The French named this stream because of the growth of cedar trees near its mouth. "At this place, also, the north bank of the Missouri assumes a most interesting appearance; it consists of a range of rocks, nearly perpendicular, from 130-150 feet high. They are composed of very white limestone, and their summits are covered to the edge with cedar." (Beck GAZETTEER OF ILLINOIS & MISSOURI, p. 266; COLUMBIA DAILY TRIBUNE, Dec. 14, 1914)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cedar Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cedar Hill School
Description:Named for its location
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cedar Township
Description:Organized November 13, 1824, derived its name from Cedar Creek (q.v.). (Ovid Bell)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Center School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Central School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cleveland Township
Description:Cleveland Township was named in honor of Grover Cleveland, who was president of the United States at the time of the organization. (Ovid Bell)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Coats' Prairie
Description:"In 1817 Rev. William Coats removed (from South Carolina) to Callaway County, Missouri, and settled on the prairie which has since borne his name." (Bryan & Rose, p. 318; Williams, I, p. 289)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Concord
Description:John Henderson laid out the town of Concord May 18, 1837. Prior to the Civil War this was a very prosperous town. At present it is practically extinct. The name is derived from the Concord Presbyterian Church, located nearby. (Ovid Bell; David H. Harris; HIST. CALLAWAY, p. 229)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Concord School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Conner School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cote Sans Dessein
Description:The first settlement in Callaway County was a trading post established by the French about 1803 or earlier. The name signifies a "hill without design" and was so called "from its location near an immense rock, which in remote ages, had been separated by some convulsion, from its kindred rock on the other side of the river, and left like a solitary sentinel in the alluvial bottom." Sans Dessein as the French used it refers to a mental state. The only interpretation of the two words, that seems applicable here, is: a hill that apparently has no reason for being. When the town was laid out it took the name of the old trading post. Through the encroachments of the river the town has entirely disappeared. (HIST. CALLAWAY, p. 91; Campbell, p. 96; Beck, p. 270)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cote Sans Dessein Township
Description:Although the town of Cote Sans Dessein is now extinct "the name has been given to the township, in which the first settlement was located and in that way will be preserved." The township was organized February 12, 1821. (Williams, v. I, p. 285)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cotton Rock School
Description:Name of unknown origin.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Craig School
Description:A local family name. [J.T. Craig owned land on which School No. 1 was located.]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Crow's Fork Creek
Description:This creek perpetuates the name of Jonathan Crow, supposed to be one of the first American settlers in Callaway County. (FULTON GAZETTE, Feb. 19, 1915, 1-2; Ovid Bell)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Dixie
Description:A pottery, operated by the Caldwell family, was the principal impetus to the growth of this town. A post office was established June 14, 1880 and N.G. Caldwell was the first postmaster. In 1892 the name was changed to Dixie in honor of the daughter of the postmaster, S.H. Powell. (Ovid Bell; HIST. CALLAWAY, p. 258)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Dorsey School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Dry Fork
Description:This small stream received its name from the fact that it is dry most of the time. (Ovid Bell; Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Fulton Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Dry Fork School
Description:A transferred name from a creek.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Duley School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Duncan School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Earl
Description:A Mr. Sexton established this country store and named it for his son. (David H. Harris; Cited on Railroad Commissioner's Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Effie
Description:The origin of the name of this defunct village could not be found. It was probably named for the wife or the daughter of some prominent family. (Cited on Railroad Commissioner's Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Elizabeth
Description:The first county seat of Callaway County, was named in honor of the wife of Henry Brite, one of the pioneers of the county, at whose house the first court met. In 1826 the county seat was moved to Fulton. (HIST. CALLAWAY, p. 113; Conrad, I, p. 472; Williams, I, p. 288)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Elkins
Description:A country post office, was named for the Honorable Steve B. Elkins, a prominent Republican senator of West Virginia. The post office was established about 1898, the time of Elkin's national popularity. (David H. Harris; MISSOURI GAZETTEER & BUSINESS DIRECTORY, 1898, p. 338)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ellerslie
Description:At one time Ellerslie was a station on the Chicago and Alton railroad. It has been extinct many years and nothing is known of the name. (David H. Harris; Ovid Bell; CALLAWAY COUNTY HIST., p. 162)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Elm Spring School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fair Oak School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Filmore School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Floyd Sill School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Flynt School
Description:A local family name. (?)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Folsom
Description:A post office was maintained at Folsom from 1888-1905. It was named for the wife of Grover Cleveland, Francis Folsom Cleveland. (Ovid Bell; David H. Harris; Cited on Railroad Commissioner's Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fry School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fulton
Description:The county seat of Callaway County was originally called Volney after a French author and infidel. The name, however, was soon after changed to Fulton, in honor of Robert Fulton, who built the first steamboat. The town was laid out about 1822 and incorporated March 14, 1859. (Eaton, p. 267; HIST. CALLAWAY, p. 184; Conrad, I, p. 472)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fulton Township
Description:This township received its name from the county seat town (q.v.). (Ovid Bell)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Garden Prairie
Description:Settled in 1825 by Richard Berry and named by him because of its "diminutive size and great fertility." (HIST. CALLAWAY, p. 481)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Garden Prairie School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Garrett
Description:Garrett was named for the Garrett family who owned a mill there. A post office was established June 17, 1898, and discontinued in August, 1905. The village is now extinct. (Ovid Bell; David H. Harris; Cited on Railroad Com. Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Grand Prairie
Description:Settled in 1839 by W.R. Benson and so named because of the rich land it contained. The name is now used to designate a community. (Ovid Bell)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Grant School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gravel School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gregory School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Guthrie
Description:Guthrie was established September 26, 1872 by B.S. Bigbee and named in his honor. In 1874 the name was changed to Guthrie in honor of Samuel N. and John Guthrie, who were prominent in the community. (Ovid Bell; Eaton, p. 268; HIST. CALLAWAY, p. 161)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Guthrie School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Guthrie Township
Description:Named for a prominent family. (Ovid Bell)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Halifax School
Description:Name of unknown origin.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hall School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ham's Prairie [1 of 2]
Description:This country post office was named for the prairie of that name. (q.v.) (HIST. CALLAWAY, p. 256; Ovid Bell)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ham's Prairie [2 of 2]
Description:In 1816 John Ham, one of the first settlers in Callaway County, cut his name on a tree near the edge of the prairie. (FULTON GAZETTE, Feb. 19, 1915, 1-2; Cited in MISSOURI GAZETTEER & BUS. DIR., 1893-4, p. 386)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ham's Prairie School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hancock Prairie
Description:Settled in 1819, "and named for a Mr. Hancock who was killed there by the Indians." (HIST. CALLAWAY, p. 481)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hardin School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Harrison School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Harrison-Yates School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hatton
Description:Established in March, 1882, and named for postmaster General Frank Hatton. A store and several residences still remain. (Ovid Bell; David H. Harris; Cited on Railroad Com Map of 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hazel Dell School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hempstead
Description:A post office was maintained at Hempstead from December, 1868 to September, 1872. The origin of the name is unknown. (Ovid Bell; David H. Harris; Cited on Sectional Map of Missouri 1844)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hereford
Description:Mr. Murray, postmaster at Hereford from 1898-1907, was a breeder of Hereford cattle and named the post office on account of his interest in Herefords. A store and school are all that remain of the town today. (Ovid Bell; David H. Harris; Cited on Railroad Com. Map of Missouri, 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hereford School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Herring School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hibernia
Description:A post office was established at this place March 12, 1825 with Patrick M. Dillon as Postmaster. Hibernia is the ancient Latin name of Ireland. The name of the post office was changed to Cedar City in 1870. The name Hibernia is now applied to a station on the Missouri Kansas Texas with Holt Summit as the post office. (Gannet, p. 156; Ovid Bell; Cited in county history, p. 147)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hickory Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:High Point School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Holman School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Holt Summit
Description:Holt Summit was laid out September 7, 1870, by Timothy Holt and named in his honor. (Eaton, p. 268; HIST. CALLAWAY, p. 162; Ovid Bell)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Holt Summit School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hord
Description:Hord was established in 1881 and named for John W. Hord, the first postmaster. In January, 1895 the post office was moved to Tebetts. (Ovid Bell; David H. Harris; HIST. CALLAWAY, p. 169)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hord School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lamar School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:An ideal name. (?)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Logan Creek
Description:Nothing definite could be found concerning the origin of this name. It is doubtless a family name. (Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Fulton Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lone Star School
Description:Name of unknown origin.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:May's Prairie
Description:Harry May settled on this prairie in 1820. (HIST. CALLAWAY, p. 481)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:McClellan School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:McCredie
Description:McCredie was laid out September 20, 1871 by George P. McCredie and named in his honor. (HIST. CALLAWAY, p. 259; Ovid Bell)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:McCredie Township
Description:This township derived its name from its leading family. (Ovid Bell)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Middle River School
Description:A transferred name from a creek.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Miller School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Millersburg
Description:Thomas Miller laid out this town October 15, 1829 and named it for Millersburg, Kentucky, his former home. (Eaton, p. 268; HIST. CALLAWAY, p. 152; Williams, I, p. 295; Bryan & Rose, p. 358)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Millersburg School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mokane
Description:Mokane was first known as Smith's Landing in honor of a Mr. Smith who was a pioneer. A post office was established there in 1849 and called St. Anbert. When the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad was built it was changed to Mokane. The name is a portion of each of these names. (Eaton, p. 268, Gannett, p. 271; Ovid Bell)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Moore School [1 of 2]
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Moore School [2 of 2]
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Morning View School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mud Creek
Description:Mud Creek derived its name from the character of its water. (Ovid Bell, Cited on Higgin's Map of Missouri)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Muir School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Musick
Description:A country post office from 1890-1907, was named for Mr. Musick, who was elected to Congress, from that district, in 1888. (Ovid Bell, David H. Harris, Cited on Railroad Commissioner's Map 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:New Bloomfield
Description:New Bloomfield has undergone various changes. May 30, 1827 a post office was established and called Round Prairie, the name being derived from the topography of the location. In 1836 Mr. Enoch Murry laid out a town at Round Prairie and called it Bloomfield. The origin of this name is unknown. June 6, 1841, after the building of the railroad, the site of the town was moved one-half mile farther south to the railroad and the prefix New was added. (Eaton, p. 268; HIST. CALLAWAY, p. 162; Ovid Bell)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Nine Mile Prairie
Description:The first settlement on this prairie was made in 1819 by Samuel Boone. As indicated by its name, the prairie is nine miles in length. (HIST. CALLAWAY, p. 480; Ovid Bell)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Nine Mile Prairie Township
Description:This township was named for the prairie it contains (q.v.). (Ovid Bell)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:North Jefferson
Description:This station, on the Missouri, Kansas, Texas line, received its name from its location, north of Jefferson City. (Ovid Bell, David H. Harris, Cited on Railroad Commissioner's Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oak Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pleasant Ridge School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Portland
Description:Nothing definite could be found concerning the origin of the name. However, popular conjecture is that it was derived from the fact that the place was a prosperous shipping point and boat landing. It was settled in 1831. (Conard, V, p. 196; HIST. CALLAWAY, p. 146)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Portland School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pottersville
Description:Thomas Caldwell settled in Callaway County in 1826, and established the pottery works there, now known as Pottersville. When the post office was established it was known as Caldwell. (HIST. CALLAWAY, p. 257; Bryan & Rose, p. 320)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Prentiss
Description:A post office was maintained at this store from 1902-1904. The origin of the name is unknown. (Ovid Bell, David H. Harris, Cited on Railroad Commissioner's Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pugh School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:R.D. Boone School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Readsville
Description:Readsville was settled in 1856 by John H. Read and named in his honor. He was also the first postmaster. (Eaton, p. 268; HIST. CALLAWAY, p. 147; Ovid Bell)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Readsville School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Red Brush School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Red Star School
Description:Name of unknown origin.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Reform
Description:Reform was never more than a country store, post office and church. The post office was established in 1853 and discontinued in 1907. The only community church in the county is located at Reform, this might have had something to do with the name, although the inference is rather far-fetched. (Ovid Bell, David H. Harris, Cited in HIST. CALLAWAY, p. 146)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Reform School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Richland Creek
Description:This creek was so named because of the very fertile land that lies on either side of it. (Ovid Bell; Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Fulton Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Round Prairie
Description:Enoch Murry settled here in 1817 and named the prairie because of its topography. (HIST. CALLAWAY, p. 481) [Cedar Township]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Science Hill School
Description:Name of unknown origin.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Scott School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Shady Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Shamrock
Description:A post office was established here January 10, 1833 with John M. Crockett as postmaster. The office was discontinued December 2, 1861 and re-established June 4, 1863. The name is derived from the national emblem of the Irish. Many of the settlers in the community of Shamrock were of Irish descent. (Eaton, p. 268; Judge David H. Harris) Another source, given by Mr. James P. Carrington, a veteran of northeast Callaway, "I have always heard that the post office was named for a big rock near the place where the first post office was located, about two and a half miles east of the present village of Shamrock." (FULTON GAZETTE, Sept. 7, 1916)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Shamrock School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Shamrock Township
Description:Shamrock Township was named for its principal village (q.v.). (Ovid Bell; David H. Harris)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sheets School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Smith's Landing
Description:"Hezekiah Smith settled in Callaway County in 1818, and established Smith's Landing on the Missouri River, now called St. Aubert." Many years later the site was washed away. The corresponding post office is now Mokane. (HIST. CALLAWAY, p. 253)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:St. Anberts [Auberts]
Description:Henry Holman surveyed St. Anberts [Auberts] November 17, 1848. The origin of the name is unknown. However, it was changed to Mokane with the coming of the Missouri Kansas Eastern Railroad. (CALLAWAY COUNTY HIST., p. 255; David H. Harris)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:St. Aubert Township
Description:St. Aubert Township received its name from its principal village, (q.v.). (Ovid Bell)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:St. Eunice School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Steedman
Description:Steedman "was named for Dr. I.G.W. Steedman, of St. Louis, who at one time owned what is known as "The Big Survey." He was the owner of the survey when the Missouri Kansas Texas Railroad was built across the land and the station on the tract was named for him." (Eaton, p. 196)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Stephens School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Stephens Store
Description:Stephens Store was named for the proprietor. Dr. T.L. Stephens established the store at an early date. He was the inventor of Stephen's eye salve, which is sold the world over and which he first made in his store at Stephens. (Eaton, p. 268; Ovid Bell)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Stringfield Store
Description:This country store was named in honor of Perry Stringfield, its owner. A post office was established there in 1856 and discontinued in 1861. (Ovid Bell; David H. Harris; Cited on BECK'S GAZETTEER, p. 742)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Summit Township
Description:This township was so named because of the nature of the land it contains. (Ovid Bell)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sunrise School
Description:Name of unknown origin.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Tate's Prairie
Description:James Tate settled on the prairie, that was named in his honor in 1823. (HIST. CALLAWAY, p. 481)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Tavern Hill School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Tebbetts
Description:Tebbetts, a railroad station, was named for an official of the Chicago and Alton Railroad. (Ovid Bell; David H. Harris; Cited on Railroad Commissioner's Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Tebbetts School
Description:A transferred name from a town. [1941 Callaway County road map has Tebbetts School]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Thorn Hill School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Toledo
Description:Nothing was found concerning the origin of the name. (Cited on Railroad Commissioner's Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Toledo School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Town Creek
Description:Received its name from the fact that it circles almost half way around the town of Fulton. It is sometimes called Stinson but the origin of this name is unknown. However, the following unauthentic explanation has been given concerning the name Stinson: "An early day rhymster, whose verses have long been lost, is believed to have been the first to use the name Stinson, probably because it suited the meter of his doggerel better than Town Creek." (Ovid Bell; Names File No. 5)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Truitt School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Van Bibber's Lick
Description:"In April, 1816, James Van Bibber, a Kentuckian, located on the Aux Vasse at what became known as Van Bibber's Lick." (Conrad, I, p. 471)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Venice
Description:Venice, a country post office, has been discontinued for many years. The origin of the name is unknown. (Cited in MISSOURI GAZETTEER & BUSINESS DIR., (1898), p. 1430)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Victor School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Viers School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Vivion School
Description:Name of unknown origin.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wade School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wainwright
Description:This station on the Missouri, Kansas, Texas Railroad bears the name of a prominent St. Louis businessman. (Ovid Bell; David H. Harris; Cited on Railroad Commissioner's Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wainwright School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wallace School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Walnut Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Weeks School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:West Sheley School
Description:Name of unknown origin.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Williamsburg
Description:A post office was established at this place in 1824 and called Fruits in honor of Enoch Fruit, the first postmaster. Later, about 1836, the post office was moved to the home of Harvey Williams and called Williamsburg. It has grown to be a town of three hundred inhabitants. (Eaton, p. 268; Williams, I, p. 295)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Williamsburg School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Younger's
Description:Younger's, a country store and post office was established by Anderson Younger and named in his honor. The old site was in Boone County but in recent years the store was moved across the county line to its present location. (E.W. Stephens; Cited on Railroad Commissioner's Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Young's Creek
Description:This creek was named in honor of Judge Ben Young, who lived nearby and was a prominent man of his time in the county. He served repeatedly in the two houses of the General Assembly and was a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1840. (Ovid Bell)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Yucatan
Description:Yucatan received its name from the Yucatan Baptist Church, near which it is located. It is not known how the Church received its name. (David Harris; Cited on Railroad Commissioner's Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names