Caldwell County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Advance School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Baker Hill School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Barwick School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bethany School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bethel School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Big Otter Creek
Description:An old settler says that in early days there were many otter "slides" on the stream now called Otter Creek, according to the county history. Little Otter Creek derives its name from the larger stream. (HIST. OF CALDWELL 1886, p. 426; SOME PIONEER HISTORY)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Black Oak
Description:A village near Mud Creek, which came to existence in 1872 when Joseph Owens established a general store there. It was laid out the year before by Samuel D. Davis and incorporated in 1880. It was named for the black oak timber which in an early day was in abundance throughout the county. (HIST. OF CALDWELL & LIV., p. 587; SOME PIONEER HIST.; Mrs. Mary Eisohler (letter)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Black Oak School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bluffton Township
Description:Two townships, Bluffton and Missouriton, were established in 1821 and 1822 respectively, before Caldwell County was separated from Ray. Bluffton had for one boundary line the Missouri River and it perhaps takes its name from the bluffs. What is now Caldwell County was once a part of this township. (HIST. OF RAY, 1881, p. 238; HIST. CALD. & LIV., 1886, p. 102)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Blythe Township
Description:This township was named for Riley Blythe, a pioneer who hunted and trapped along Shoal Creek about 1836. (HIST. CALDWELL, 1882)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bonanza
Description:This village sprang into existence because of a noted spring in its vicinity. The town was named by Dr. Smith, Bonanza, a Spanish word meaning a "good venture." In 1881 it was established. (SOME PIONEER HIST.; HIST. CALDWELL, p. 447; MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 179)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bonanza School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Braymer
Description:Established in 1887 and named for Judge Daniel Braymer, a banker. (Eaton, p. 266)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Breckinridge
Description:This town was laid out in 1856 and named in honor of John C. Breckinridge of Kentucky who was then a candidate for Vice President of the United States and afterwards elected. There had been a post office prior to this time one mile east, called Grand River (q.v.). (SOME PIONEER HIST.; Eaton, p. 266; HIST. CALD. & LIV. 1886, p. 636)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Breckinridge Township
Description:Named for the town of Breckinridge (q.v.). It was organized in 1869. (HIST. CALD. & LIV., p. 637)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Brown Jug School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Brush Hill School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Brushy Creek
Description:A name descriptive of the land along the banks of the stream was given to creeks in four counties. Sub-branches of the stream in Daviess County are called East and West Brushy, according to their position to the main stream. (HIST. DAVIESS, p. 647; ATLAS OF DAVIESS, 1898; ATLAS OF DE KALB, 1877; SOME PIONEER HISTORY; HIST. CALDWELL & LIVINGSTON, p. 550; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 276)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Buffalo School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Caldwell County
Description:This county was organized in 1836 from a part of Ray. It was named by General Alexander M. Doniphan in honor of Matthew Caldwell, commander of Indian Scouts in Kentucky. General Doniphan's father, Joseph Doniphan, had belonged to Captain Caldwell's Indian Scouts and had often spoke of Captain Caldwell as a brave and gallant soldier. (BOONVILLE WEEKLY ADV., Nov. 10, 1911, p. 2; Eaton, p. 265; SESSION LAWS, 1841, p. 47; HIST. OF CALD & DAV., 1886, p. 105; Parker, p. 200)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Catawba
Description:This town was platted in December, 1884, and named for that species of trees which were found there in abundance. (Mrs. Mary Eischler (letter); HIST. CALD. & LIV., p. 480; MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 249)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Catawba School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Center School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Cottage Grove School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Cottonwood Creek
Description:It is said that this stream was named because of the cottonwood trees, which grew on its banks. (HIST. CALDWELL, 1886, p. 426; SOME PIONEER HIST.)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Cottonwood School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Cowgill
Description:Established in 1887 and named for Judge James Cowgill, a prominent citizen of the county. This village was formerly called Glassville (q.v.). (Eaton, p. 266; CENSUS REPORT, 1920, p. 245; SOME PIONEER HIST.; MISSOURI GAZ., 1898, p. 389)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Crab Apple Creek
Description:In a history of Harrison County the following statement testifies as to the appropriateness of the name Crab Apple. "The early comers in the southern part of the county who named Crab Apple Creek, gained thereby the first right to a name that might well have been applied to other streams, for the Crab Apple was, and still continues to be quite common in all parts of the county." Throughout Northwest Missouri that species of trees is indigenous to the soil. (HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 525; R.H. Dunn; HIST. OF HOLT, p. 44; Inman, p. 5; H.N. Kennedy)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Davis Township
Description:Davis Township was named for John T. Davis and his brother, Sameul D. Davis (Judge), who came there in 1839 from Adams County, Illinois. It was formerly a part of Grand River. (HIST. CALD. & LIV., p. 1886, p. 589; SOME PIONEER HIST.)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Dead Oak Creek
Description:In the southwest portion of Fairview Township. The name originated from the fact that there were so many dead oak trees which could always be found in the water. (Mrs. Mary Eischler (letter); Cited HIST. CALD. & LIV., p. 476)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Dillon School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Dodge School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Eagle School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Easterville
Description:A country post office established prior to 1889 and discontinued shortly after. It received its name from a man named Easter. (Mrs. Mary Eischler (letter); MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, p. 324)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Easterville School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Ed. Johnson School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Elk Grove
Description:This town, established in 1876, received its name from the fact that there were so many wild elk roving through the timber there. (Mrs. Mary J. Eischler (letter); G. Toland (letter); SOME PIONEER HIST.; MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 324)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Elk Grove School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Elm Grove School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Elmont
Description:A country post office. (HIST. CLINT., p. 249)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Emmett
Description:Prior to 1860 the only railroad station in this locality was at the home of P.S. Kenney, who owned a store and presided over a post office called Emmett. The name was changed to Kidder when a depot was established. (SOME PIONEER HIST.)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Eureka School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Excelsior School (2)
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fairview School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fairview Township
Description:Organized in 1869 and named for the Fairview School House, "a large two-story building, built in 1867, at a cost of two thousand dollars." (HIST. CALD. & LIV., p. 480)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Far West
Description:Far West, the first county seat of Caldwell, was settled by the Mormons about 1836. It was their intention that the town should become one of the great cities of the world, and with this thought in mind, a magnificent temple was planned but it was never completed. The name designated the geographical location of the Mormon Settlement. Far West prospered until 1838 when Joseph Smith arrived from Ohio. This was the beginning of the trouble which led to the expulsion of the Mormons from the state. (Campbell, pp. 87-9; Linn, p. 187; SOME PIONEER HIST.; Thwaites, Vol. p. 47; Conard, Vol. 1, p. 467)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Far West School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fern Hill
Description:A locality in Caldwell County was known as Fern Hill because of the numerous kinds of ferns growing there. (SOME PIONEER HIST.)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fishing River Township
Description:Organized in 1821 as a part of Ray County, this township included territory now belonging to six counties. The name was derived from Fishing River. (HIST. OF RAY, p. 241-2)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Flat Rock Ford
Description:See Rock Ford.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Friendship
Description:Originally a Mormon settlement on Shoal Creek, consisting of a few business houses and a school. A post office was established about 1879 and discontinued before 1889. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1879, p. 429; 1883, p. 350; 1889, p. 371)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Frog Pond School
Description:A sobriquet; an assumed name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Glassville
Description:The first hamlet in Caldwell County was called Glassville but it was never platted. (SOME PIONEER HIST.)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Goddard School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Gomer
Description:Nettleton (q.v.) was first called Gomer, a Hebrew word which signifies "finished" or "completed," and the name of one of the sons of Japbeth. (HIST. CALDWELL, p. 428)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Gomer Township
Description:Named for the town of Gomer (q.v.). The township was organized in 1869. (HIST. CALDWELL, p. 427)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Goose Creek
Description:This name recalls a kind of wild game frequently hunted by the pioneer along the banks of streams. (SOME PIONEER HIST.)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Gould Farm
Description:C.L. Gould secured a post office which was located on his farm; hence the name. The name still exists for the community. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 373)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Grand River
Description:The Grand River, one of the largest streams in northwest Missouri, is two hundred miles long. With its tributaries, it waters thirteen counties. A French party explored this river as early as 1724 and named it "La Riviere de la Grande." In Worth County are found East, West and Middle Forks of Grand River. Two post offices were established along the banks of this river, one in Caldwell County, in 1852, and the other in Gentry County. (HAYWARD'S GAZ., p. 824; HIST. OF CALD., p. 638; MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 375; 1876, p. 201; Adams, p. 102; Conard, Vol. 3, p. 85; THE EVENING TRIBUNE, Sept. 4, 1915, p. 1; HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 685; SOME PIONEER HIST.)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Grand River Township
Description:A township named for the Grand River was established in Caldwell County, in November, 1869; in Clinton, 1834; in Daviess, 1837; and in De Kalb, 1845. In Caldwell County, the name was changed to New York Township (q.v.) and in Clinton County, the Grand River Township's boundaries have been changed until finally a new name was given to all the townships formed from the division of it. (HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 456; HIST. OF DAV., p. 238; HIST. OF CLINT., p. 106; Davis & Durrie, p. 360; HIST. OF N.W. MISSOURI, Vol. 1, p. 449; Atlas of De Kalb, 1877)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Grant Township
Description:Not only was Grant a popular name for towns and post offices, but it was also a general favorite with the county courts which selected the names for townships. Five counties thus honored General Grant; one county, Harrison, gave the name in 1845, in honor of a prominent family of the county. In May, 1870, Caldwell County Court divided Blythe Township and named the new township Grant. In 1866, Jackson Township, Daviess County, was divided, forming Grant, but four years later the name was changed to Jamesport. In the same year the name was rejected in Daviess County, DeKalb organized a township and named it Grant. In Nodaway County, Washington and White Cloud Townships were reorganized; the new one formed was named in honor of the commander-in-chief of the Union forces. The dates for the organization of the Grant Townships in Nodaway and Holt were not found. (HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 617; SOME PIONEER HIST. ATLAS OF DAV., p. 12; HIST. OF DAV., p. 305; ATLAS OF DE KALB, 1877; R.H. Dunn; ATLAS OF HOLT, 1876, p. 23; HIST. OF NOD., p. 159)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Granville School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hamilton
Description:Founded in 1855 by Albert G. Davis, who said he selected the name partly in honor of Alexander Hamilton, of national fame, and partly for Joseph Hamilton, a brilliant young lawyer and soldier who was killed in the battle of the Thames, in Canada, October 5, 1813. (SOME PIONEER HIST.; HIST. CALD. & LIV., p. 346; Eaton, p. 266)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hamilton Township
Description:Hamilton Township, Caldwell, was organized from a part of Kingston in 1867 and was named for the town of the same name, which had been established in that county in 1855. In Harrison County, the township derived its name directly from Alexander Hamilton. (R.H. Dunn; HIST. CALD. & LIV., p. 344; HIST. CALDWELL, p. 344; SOME PIONEER HIST.)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Harrison School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Haun's Mill
Description:This settlement, which centered around Jacob Haun's Mill, was the scene of a massacre in the Mormon War. The village was never larger than a mill, blacksmith shop and half a dozen houses. (SOME PIONEER HIST.)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hazel View School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Houghton School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hunter School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Idumea Baptist
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Independence School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jewell School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jim Creek
Description:Doubtless named for a local resident. (HIST. CALD. & LIV., p. 255)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Kettle Creek
Description:It is said that Kettle Creek was named from the circumstance of finding an iron kettle on its banks, where a party of bee hunters had camped. The story is probably apocryphal. (SOME PIONEER HIST.; HIST. CALDWELL, p. 426)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Kidder
Description:Kidder was founded as the home for Kidder Institute. It was laid off in 1866 by trustees of the Kidder Land Company of Boston, and named for H.B. Kidder, head of the firm. (SOME PIONEER HIST., Eaton, p. 266; HIST. CALD. & LIV., p. 553; MISSOURI GAZ., 1898, p. 703)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Kidder Township
Description:Organized in May, 1867, and named for the town of Kidder (q.v.). (SOME PIONEER HIST.; HIST. CALD. & LIV., p. 552)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Kingston
Description:In 1842 the county seat was from Far West (q.v.) to Kingston, a town named in honor of A.A. King, who was afterwards governor of the State. (Gannett, p. 175; Campbell, pp. 87-9; HIST. CALDWELL, p. 259-60; Eaton, p. 265; SOME PIONEER HIST.)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Kingston Township
Description:In 1867 Kingston Township was separated from Blythe but its present boundaries were not established until 1870. Evidently the name was derived from Kingston, (q.v.) the county seat. (HIST. CALD. & LIV., p. 259)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Kinney School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Layton School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Liberty Bell School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lick Fork
Description:The stream called Lick Fork, is said to have been named from the saline banks or deer "licks" near its mouth. A village was established in the vicinity of the stream and was also called Lick Fork. (SOME PIONEER HIST., HIST. CALDWELL, p. 426)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lincoln Township
Description:Andrew County named a township Lincoln for John Lincoln mentioned under Lincoln Creek (q.v.). Atchison County, in 1871; Caldwell, in 1869; Daviess, in 1866; Harrison, in the 1860s; and Nodaway, in 1866, all honored Abraham Lincoln by naming townships for him. (Names File, No. 20; HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 526; HIST. OF HOLT & ATCH., p. 789; ATLAS OF DAV., 1876, p. 12; Sam Evans (letter); B.P. Sigler; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 293)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Locust Grove School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Log Creek
Description:Three Mormon brothers built a horse mill on the banks of Log Creek in 1833. Perhaps the stream received its name from the fact that logs were often seen floating in it. (SOME PIONEER HIST.; Mrs. Mary Eischler (letter)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Log Creek School
Description:Named for a stream.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lone Star School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Long Branch
Description:The name Long Branch, describes the length of streams found in four counties of Northwest Missouri. (Names File No. 20; J.S. Williams; HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 650; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 276)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lovely Ridge School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Manson School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Marion Township
Description:Four counties chose the name Marion for a township: Buchanan, in 1837; Ray, which is now included in Caldwell, in 1832; Daviess, in 1869; and Harrison, about 1845. Perhaps all were named in honor of Francis D. Marion, Revolutionary General. (R.H. Dunn; MORNING HERALD, Aug. 20, 1873, p. 8; HIST. OF BUCH., 1881, p. 132; HIST. OF RAY, 1881, p. 240; HIST. OF DAV., p. 725; 306; ATLAS OF DAV., 1876)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Marquam's Store
Description:Mirabile (q.v.) was first called Marquam's Store, for William Marquam, the first merchant in the town. (HIST. CALDWELL, p. 319; SOME PIONEER HIST.)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mill Creek
Description:Settlements were made along Mill Creek, in Caldwell County, by the Mormons, in 1838. Doubtless the name was derived from an early mill. In Holt County, the stream was called after a mill built by John Thorpe. Hutson's Creek (q.v.), in Nodaway County, became known as Mill Creek for the mill built on its banks. (HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 344; HIST. OF HOLT. & ATCH., p. 116; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 293)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mill Creek School
Description:Named for a stream.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mirabile
Description:Named by William Marquam; Mirable, a Latin word signifying wonderful. Formerly called Marquam's Store (q.v.). (Eaton, p. 266; HIST. CALDWELL, p. 319; Gannett, p. 210; SOME PIONEER HIST.)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mirabile School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mirabile Township
Description:Named for the town of Mirabile (q.v.). (Eaton, p. 266; HIST. CALDWELL, p. 319; SOME PIONEER HIST.)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mound School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mt. Pleasant School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mud Creek
Description:One of the principal streams in Davis Township. Doubtless the name is descriptive. North Mud Creek is a tributary. In 1837 Elias Beuner built a mill on this creek. A small village of half a dozen houses centered around the mill and became known as Mud Creek. (SOME PIONEER HIST.; HIST. CALD. & LIV., p. 587)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Muddy
Description:A country post office established prior to 1876 and discontinued before 1879. It is perhaps named for Mud Creek. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1876-7, p. 340; 1879, p. 462)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Musser School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Neeley School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Nettleton
Description:In 1870 Gomer (q.v.) was changed to Nettleton, in honor of George H. Nettleton, a railroad official. (HIST. CALD. & LIV., p. 428; Eaton, p. 266)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:New Houghton School
Description:A borrowed name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:New York Township
Description:First called Grand River when it was organized in 1869. One month later, upon the demands of a number of citizens within its boundaries from the State of New York, the name was changed to New York. (HIST. CALD. & LIV., p. 447; SOME PIONEER HIST.)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:North Victory School
Description:A borrowed name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Noyes School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Oak Grove School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Oakland School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Owen School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Panther Creek
Description:Folk stories from Caldwell, Gentry and Harrison County Histories relate that the Panther Creeks, traversing those counties, were named by hunters who killed a panther on the banks of these streams. (SOME PIONEER HIST., HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 97; J.S. Williams; Inman, p. 5; HIST. OF GENT. & WORTH, p. 178-9)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pickett School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pleasant Grove School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pleasant Hill School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pleasant Ridge School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Plum Creek School
Description:Named for a stream.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Polo
Description:Established in 1867 and named for a town in Illinois called Polo. (Eaton, p. 266; HIST. CALD. & LIV., p. 617; SOME PIONEER HIST.)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Prairie Gem School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Prairie Town School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Radical Creek
Description:Perhaps named from some pioneer incident. (Cited in SOME PIONEER HIST.)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Radical School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Railroad School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Richmond Township
Description:Bluffton (q.v.) was changed to Richmond in 1829, in honor of the new county seat of Ray County. This was before Caldwell was a separate county. (HIST. OF RAY, p. 239-40)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Riggle School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rock Ford
Description:It is said that there is evidence to show that an Indian battle, between the Missouris and Northern tribes, was fought at Rock Ford. The name is descriptive. Also called Flat Rock Ford. (SOME PIONEER HIST.)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rockford Township
Description:Named for the Rock Ford (q.v.) or Flat Rock Ford. (HIST. CALD. & LIV., p. 512; SOME PIONEER HIST.)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Salem
Description:In Caldwell County, three Mormon brothers settled in 1833, at a place called Salem, a Hebrew word signifying peace. Coffey (q.v.) in Daviess County, was known as Salem, when it was established in 1856. Evidently its founder, B.F. Coffey, selected the name from the Bible. About 1857, M.S. Couch opened a store in Jackson Township, Gentry County, and added a third name to the list of towns called Salem. This name was changed to Island City (q.v.). (HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 123; SOME PIONEER HIST.; HIST. OF DAV. & GENTRY, p. 85; 280; Names File, No. 7; ATLAS OF DAV., 1876, p. 12; HIST. OF GENTRY & WORTH, p. 189)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Shantytown
Description:During the Mormon War; a number of houses called "Shanties" were built between the Steer and Brushy Creeks. "For a long time the locality was known as Shantytown." (SOME PIONEER HIST.)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Shoal Creek
Description:Probably descriptive. (HIST. OF CLINT., p. 116)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:South Victory School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Spring Hill School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Spring Valley School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Steer Creek
Description:One of the main streams of Kidder Township, which has for its tributaries East and West Steer Creeks. Many streams bear names of animals, most of which defy an analysis of their origin. (HIST. CALD. & LIV., p. 550; SOME PIONEER HIST.)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Tassa Grove
Description:One of the earliest settlements in Caldwell County was named Tassa Grove, for the former home of its founder, Jerome B. Terril, in Kentucky. (SOME PIONEER HIST.)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Terril's Grove
Description:Also known as Tassa Grove (q.v.).
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Toben Valley School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Tom Creek
Description:A picturesque story is reported in histories of Caldwell County to the effect that a party of bee hunters named a stream Poor Tom Creek because one of their members was ill from eating too much honey and his father sat by him all night, on the banks of the creek, exclaiming at every moan from his son, "Poor Tom! Poor Tom!" (HIST. CALD. & LIV., p. 341; SOME PIONEER HIST.)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Turkey Creek
Description:Turkey Creek, in both Caldwell and Nodaway Counties, is said to have been named by hunters of wild turkeys along its banks. (HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 635; SOME PIONEER HIST., PAST & PRESENT, vol. 1, p. 319)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Turkey Creek School
Description:Named for a stream.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Van Note School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:West Prairie School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Willow Branch
Description:Davis Township, through which this stream flows, is thickly wooded. Perhaps the name was given for Willow trees, which are frequently found along streams. (HIST. CALD. & LIV., p. 587)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wolf Grove
Description:A settlement made in 1852 by people from Kentucky. Wolves were numerous in pioneer days which may account for the name. (SOME PIONEER HIST.)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wolf Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wright School
Description:Named for a prominent man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wycoff School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Yankee Ridge School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names