Buchanan County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Adams
Description:This is a country post office. Nothing could be found on the name. (Cited in MISSOURI GAZ., 1891, p. 122)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Agency
Description:The present town of Agency owes its existence to Agency Ford (q.v.). It was platted in 1865 by William Smith.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Agency Ford
Description:Formerly there was a road from Clay County to the Blacksnake Hills which crossed the Platte River at the point where Agency now stands. Here the river was shallow and could be forded by teams. The agency of the Sac and Fox Indians was established at this point also. Liberty, Clay County, was the nearest trading point for the settlers in Buchanan County, and the ford as well as the agency became well known. General Andres S. Hughes acted as agent here for many years before the Platte Purchase. (HIST. BUCHANAN 1881,p. 47, p. 374 f; HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1904, p. 47; Eaton, p. 264)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Agency Township
Description:First settled in 1837, and doubtless named from Agency Ford (q.v.). (HIST. BUCHANAN 1881, p. 130)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Annie
Description:Annie is a country post office and a feminine name; but why chosen is not known. (Cited in MISSOURI GAZ., 1891, p. 130)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Arnoldsville
Description:At one time, Arnoldsville was a prosperous trading point and post office. It takes its name from Eli Arnold, a native of Ohio, who came about 1847 to Missouri, and built a mill where the town later was located. Arnold was the first postmaster of the town. (HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1904, p. 43; HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1896, p. 68; HIST. BUCHANAN, 1905, p. 68; HIST. BUCHANAN, 1881, p. 378)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Arnoldsville School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bartlett School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bee Creek [1 of 2]
Description:Bee Creek is a railroad point where the Santa Fe and Chicago, Great Western Railways join. The name is derived from the creek of the same name. (HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1898, p. 73)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bee Creek [2 of 2]
Description:Like other streams of the same name, or similar, Bee Creek perhaps derived its name from the fact that hunters, in an early day, found an abundance of honey along its banks. (Cited Hutawa's Map, 1844; HIST. BUCHANAN 1881, p. 377)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Benton
Description:"The commissioners named the new county seat Benton, in honor of Senator Thomas H. Benton, but this did not meet with popular approval, and at the August Term, the County Court changed the name to Sparta," (q.v.). (HIST. BUCHANAN, p. 45; HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, p. 26)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Benton School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bermond School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bethel School
Description:A Biblical name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Birming
Description:The present village of Halleck (q.v.) was formerly called Birming. (HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1904, p. 44; HIST. BUCHANAN, p. 69)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Blacksnake Creek
Description:This creek is said to have been named by the Indians, who inhabited the region of the Blacksnake Hills. (Thomas F. Ryan (letter); Robidoux p. 93; Names File No. 7; HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, p. 55)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Blacksnake Hills
Description:The post of Joseph Robidoux was called Blacksnake Hills, a name given by the Indians. It is said that there were many blacksnakes in the hills in the early days. (Thomas F. Ryan (letter); Conard, Vol. I, p. 285; HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1904, p. 26; HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1898, p. 46; Robidoux, p. 68; MORNING HERALD, Aug. 20, 1873, p. 8)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Blair School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bliss School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bloomington
Description:Bloomington, now called De Kalb (q.v.) was laid off in 1837, with a square in the center for the purpose of accommodating the courthouse. James Finch, the founder, owned the first store in the place. He was a Bostonian. The origin of the name was not discovered. In 1851 the name was changed to De Kalb. (Louise P. Hauck (letter); HIST. BUCHANAN, 1881, p. 370; Session Laws, 1850, p. 428; HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1915, p. 56)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bloomington Township
Description:Established in 1839 and evidently named for the town of Bloomington. (MORNING HERALD, Aug. 20, 1873, p. 8; Louise P. Hauck (letter); HIST. BUCHANAN, 1915, p. 39)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Boyer's Settlement
Description:Named after the Boyer family, who lived in that locality. (Names File, No. 21)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Brick School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bruce School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Buchanan County
Description:Buchanan County was organized February 10, 1839, and named in honor of James Buchanan of Pennsylvania, who afterwards became President of the United States. At that time he represented the United States at the Court of St. Petersburg and was a popular idol at home. Formerly the county was known as Roberts County (q.v.). (Eaton, p. 263; Campbell, p. 73-4; HIST. BUCHANAN 1881, p. 152; HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1904, p. 25; BOONVILLE WEEKLY ADV., Nov. 10, 1911, p. 2)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Burnette School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Carnegie School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Central School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Centre Township
Description:First settled in 1837 and organized in 1841. This township lies in the center of the county; hence the name. (HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1915, p. 39; HIST. BUCHANAN, 1881, p. 126; Hutawa's Map, 1844)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Columbus
Description:The town of Rushville (q.v.) was formerly called Columbus. It was laid out in 1874. The origin of the name was not found. (Parker, p. 196; Eaton, p. 264; HIST. BUCHANAN, 1881, p. 372)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Contrary Creek
Description:This creek receives its name from the fact that it flows north, which is contrary to the course of the Missouri River. (HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1904, p. 21; HIST. BUCHANAN, 1898, p. 41; Conard, Vol. 1, p. 413)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Cornelius School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Council Hill
Description:So named because a legend says that on this hill was held Indian Councils, and also that it was the scene of the last council held in Missouri, that of the Platte Purchase. (LANOWA, 1925)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Cox School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Crawford Township
Description:As it was the custom of early courts in northeast Missouri to give names in honor of national leaders, Crawford Township, in two counties, perhaps is no exception. William Crawford, a prominent political leader, died four years before the Clinton County Court met in 1838 and named Crawford Township. The township of the same name in Buchanan County was established in 1839. (MORNING HERALD, Aug. 20, 1873, p. 8, (4-7); HIST. OF BUCH., 1915, p. 39; HIST. OF CLINT., p. 107)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Crosby School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:De Kalb
Description:De Kalb, first called Bloomington (q.v.), was named in honor of Baron De Kalb. It is the oldest in the county, having been laid off in 1839, by James G. Finch. (Eaton, p. 264; HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1915, p. 56, 70)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Dippin School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Douglas School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:East Atchison
Description:East Atchison is located across the river from Atchison, Kansas, hence the name. (Eaton, p. 264)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:East Atchison School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Easton
Description:In 1848, E. Don McCrary purchased four hundred acres of land, where Easton now stands. For some time he operated a general store on his farm and in 1854 he laid off the town. The town is a few miles east of the County Seat, St. Joseph. The name may have been derived from this fact. (Eaton, p. 264; HIST. BUCHANAN, 1881, p. 379)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Ebenezer School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Ernst School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Eugene Field School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Eveline
Description:Halls (q.v.) was formerly known as Eveline, a name given by William Britton, who platted the town, for his daughter. (N.H. Moser (letter); Cited in HIST. BUCHANAN, 1881, p. 379)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Everett School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fair Grove School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fairview School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fancher's Cross Roads
Description:The site of Halleck (q.v.) was originally known as Fancher's cross roads. Henry Fancher owned the first blacksmith shop in Crawford Township; it was located at the cross roads where Halleck now stands. (HIST. BUCHANAN, 1881, p. 121; 375)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Faucett
Description:Faucett originated when the Chicago Great Western Railroad extended its line, in 1890, from St. Joseph to Kansas City. The name was given in honor of Robert Faucett, a miller. (Eaton, p. 264; HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1904, HIST. BUCHANAN, 1898, p. 69; HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1915, p. 55)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:First Colored School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Florence School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Floyd School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Frankhauser School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Franklin School (2)
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Frazer
Description:A country post office named for the Frazer family. (Eaton, p. 264; HIST. BUCHANAN, 1881, p. 379; HIST. OF BUCH & ST. JOSEPH, 1915, p. 60)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Frazier School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:French Bottoms School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Frogge School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Garfield School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Garrettsburg
Description:Named for Zach Garrett, an early settler. (HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1915, p. 60; Names File, No. 21; MISSOURI GAZ., 1876, p. 196)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:German Branch
Description:A small branch of Mayfield Creek in the southern part of Scopus Township, which was German Township until 1919. The branch is so named because the settlers along the creek were German. (Dewitt, County Map (1906)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:German-English School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Green Valley School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hall School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Halleck
Description:Named for Henry W. Halleck, a United States General in the Civil War. Halleck has also been known as Old Taos, Fancher's Cross Roads, and Birming (q.v.). (HIST. BUCHANAN, 1898, p. 69)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Halls Lake Station School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hall's Station
Description:Located on the Kansas City and Council Bluffs Railroad and named in honor of Governor Willard P. Hall. It was formerly called Eveline (q.v.). (HIST. BUCHANAN, 1881, p. 379; Eaton, p. 264)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hosea School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Humbolt School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hyde School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Indian Head Ravine
Description:This name is said to have been derived from a likeness of a face found on a large rock on the banks of the stream. (LANOWA, 1925)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jackson School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jackson Township
Description:Four counties honored Andrew Jackson, the seventh President of the United States, when each named a township Jackson: Buchanan in 1843; Clinton, 1833; Daviess, 1840; and Nodaway, 1866. Andrew & Gentry Counties honored pioneer settlers. Jackson Township, in Andrew County, eas established in 1846. (HIST. OF BUCH., 1915, p. 39; HIST. OF CLINTON, p. 103; HIST. OF DAVIESS, p. 252; 744; ATLAS OF DAVIESS, 1876, p. 12; HIST. OF N.W. MISSOURI, Vol. 1, p. 449; Sam Evans (letter); PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 281; C. Gooden; Names File, No. 20; ATLAS OF ANDREW, 1877; J.S. Williams)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jefferson Township
Description:All of the counties, with the exception of Gentry, which honored Andrew Jackson by naming townships for him, likewise honored Thomas Jefferson, the third President of the United States. The dates for the organization of these townships are as follows: Andrew, 1846; Buchanan, 1839; Clinton, 1838; Daviess, 1840; Harrison, about 1845; Nodaway, 1871. (Names File, No. 20; ATLAS OF ANDREW, 1877; HIST. OF BUCH., 1915, p. 39; MORNING HERALD, Aug. 20, 1873, p. 8; HIST. OF CLINT., p. 107; HIST. OF DAV., p. 252; Sam Evans (letter); ATLAS OF DAV., 1876, p. 12; HIST. OF N.W. MISSOURI, Vol. 1, p. 449; R.H. Dunn; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 286)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jones School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Kelley School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Kenmoor
Description:Founded by Warren Samuel of St. Joseph, and named for a Scotchman who operated the first telephone exchange there. (Mrs. John A. Connett (letter); HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1915, p. 58)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:King's Hill
Description:Louise Platte Hauch, authoress of St. Joseph, states that the bluffs called King's Hill were so named from an incident in early day history. John King, who had robbed a tribe of Indians of some rare pelts, was overtaken and killed by his enemies, at the top of what is now called King's Hill. Campbell and Parker maintain that the place was formerly a celebrated battleground, fort and burying place of the Indians. (Louise P. Hauck (letter); Campbell, pp. 73-5; Parker, p. 195)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Kirschner School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Krug School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lafayette School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lake Station
Description:The nearest railroad station to Lake Contrary; hence the name. (Names File, No. 21; HIST. BUCHANAN, 1881, p. 379; HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1898, p. 72)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lake Township
Description:The smallest township in the county. It includes Lake Contrary; hence the name. (Hutawa's Map, 1844; HIST. BUCHANAN, 1881, p. 133-4)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lanowa Park
Description:Lanowa is a name derived from Wan-wan-Lamo-wau (q.v.). It commemorates a strip of land along the Missouri River which is said to have been sacred ground to the Indians who once inhabited the region. (LANOWA, 1925)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Leachman
Description:A post office established in Rush Township in 1851. James Leachman was the first postmaster. (HIST. BUCHANAN, 1881, p. 129; HAYWARD'S GAZ., p. 824)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lewis School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lewis Township
Description:Lewis Township, Buchanan County, was organized in 1839. Three years later, the same name was given to a township in Holt County, perhaps for John Lewis who was elected constable in the same year. (MORNING HERALD, Aug. 20, 1873, p. 8; HIST. OF BUCH., 1915, p. 39; HIST. OF HOLT & ATCH., p. 104)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lincoln School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Longfellow School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Madison School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Malden School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Marion Township
Description:Four counties chose the name Marion for a township: Buchanan, in 1837; Ray, which is now included in Caldwell, in 1832; Daviess, in 1869; and Harrison, about 1845. Perhaps all were named in honor of Francis D. Marion, Revolutionary General. (R.H. Dunn; MORNING HERALD, Aug. 20, 1873, p. 8; HIST. OF BUCH., 1881, p. 132; HIST. OF RAY, 1881, p. 240; HIST. OF DAV., p. 725; 306; ATLAS OF DAV., 1876)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Matney's Mill
Description:William Matney became the owner of the Platte River Mills in 1857. The post office here was known as Platte River (q.v.). (HIST. BUCHANAN, 1881, p. 119)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Maxwell School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:McKinley School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Moore School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mt. Pleasant School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:New Hurlingen
Description:New Hurlingen was named for a locality in Bavaria from which the early settlers of this place came. (Mrs. John Connett (letter); HIST. BUCHANAN, 1898, p. 75; HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1904, p. 48; HIST. OF BUCH & ST. JOSEPH, 1915, p. 60)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Noble Township
Description:Organized in 1839. The origin of the name was not found. (MORNING HERALD, Aug. 20, 1873, p. 8; HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1915, p. 39)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Nodaway Township
Description:Although the Nodaway River crosses only three counties of northwest Missouri, townships in five counties were named for it. Andrew organized a Nodaway Township in 1846; Buchanan, in 1839; Clinton, in 1838; Holt, in 1841; and Nodaway in 1871. In Buchanan County, the name is no longer in existence. Nodaway Township, Clinton County, was organized before the county was reduced to its present limits. (Names File, No. 20; ATLAS OF ANDREW, 1877; HIST. OF CLINT., p. 107; HIST. OF HOLT & ATCH., p. 104; HIST. OF BUCH. & ST. JOSEPH, 1915, p. 39; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 303)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Oak Dale School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Oak Grove School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Oak Hill School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Oakland School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Old Taos
Description:A nickname given to Fancher's Cross Roads (q.v.) about 1849. This name is said to have been given by soldiers returning from the Mexican War galloped through the streets of the town, shouting, "Hurray for Taos!" By this expression he meant to compare the whiskey which he had bought at Fancher's Cross Roads, with Taos whiskey, proverbial for being the meanest sold in Mexico. (HIST. BUCHANAN, 1881, p. 375-6; HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1898, p. 69; HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1904, p. 44)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pateetown
Description:In the early days of St. Joseph, John Patee platted his land, donating a strip of forty acres for a railroad terminal and depot purposes, and built a large hotel. This section, which is now a part of St. Joseph, was named Pateetown, for its founder. (HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1915, p. 77)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Paw-Paw
Description:A nickname for Winthrop (q.v.), probably derived from the fact that a large number of paw-paw trees grow in that locality. In 1884 the station was destroyed by a flood. (Names File, No. 21; HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1898, p. 71)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pigeon Creek
Description:Nothing was found on the name. (Cited in HIST. BUCHANAN, 1881, p. 375)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Platte River
Description:The Platte River rises in Southern Iowa and flows southward through that part of Missouri known as the Platte Purchase. Lewis and Clark called it the Little Platte, perhaps to distinguish it from the larger Platte, and described it as a passing through "high open plains interspersed with groves of timber." This would indicate that the name had the meaning of a plat. The name was doubtless given by Frenchmen. A post office, located on the river in Buchanan County, in 1848, was called Platte River. It was established at Matney's Mill (q.v.), or the Platte River Mills (q.v.). (Lewis & Clarek, Vol. 6, p. 36; MISSOURI GAZ., 1876-7, p. 765; HIST. OF BUCH., 1881, p. 119; Thwaites, Vol. 27, p. 227; Hutawa's Map, 1844)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Platte River Mills
Description:A mill established on Platte River became the nucleus of a village, though the town never grew to any size. Later the place became known as Matney's Mills (q.v.) and the Platte River post office (q.v.). (HIST. BUCHANAN, 1881, p. 119)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Platte Township
Description:Three townships formed in the early days of Andrew, Buchanan and Clinton Counties, (in the years 1846, 1839 and 1838, respectively) were named from the Platte River. (Names File, No. 20; HIST. OF CLINT., p. 107; HIST. OF BUCH. & ST. JOSEPH, 1915, p. 39; MORNING HERALD, Aug. 20, 1873, p. 8)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pleasant Hill School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pleasant Knoll School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pleasant Ridge School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pleasant Valley School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rising Sun School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Riverside School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Riverton
Description:A small village on the Platte River. (Map in HIST. BUCHANAN, 1881)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Robert's County
Description:Before Buchanan County was organized the territory now within its limits was known as Roberts County, for the line settler, Hiram Roberts, who escaped the troops from Fort Levenworth sent to dispossess the squatters. Roberts came to the vicinity of De Kalb in 1836, one year before the county was open for settlement. (Louise P. Hauck (letter); HIST. BUCHANAN, p. 881, p. 122)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Robidoux Landing
Description:Before the founding of the city of St. Joseph (q.v.), the pioneer settlement there was called Robidoux Landing, for Joseph Robidoux, the first white man to locate in that locality. (Conard, vol. 5, p. 378)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Robidoux School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rock House Prairie
Description:At an early date, the prairie in the southern part of Tremont Township became known as Rock House Prairie, deriving its name from a large pile of stones shaped together like a rock house located on the prairie. The Indians had erected the house, perhaps during some ceremony, or as a memorial to some event in Indian history. (Conard, vol. 5, p. 387; HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1904, p. 48; HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1898, p. 24)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rockhold School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rohan Store
Description:The first merchant in Platte Township was John Rohan who had a store on his farm. He commenced business shortly after the Civil War. (HIST. BUCHANAN, 1881, p. 116)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rough and Ready School
Description:A sobriquet; an assumed name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Round House
Description:A round house station on the Kansas City, St. Joseph and Burlington Railroad. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 827)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Roy's Branch
Description:A noted stream, where Joseph Robidoux landed. John B. Roy was a pioneer trader, and friend of Robidoux; it is from him that the stream takes its name. (Conard, vol. 5, p. 407; Robidoux, Louise P. Hauck (letter)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rush Township
Description:Settled in 1837 and organized five years later. Perhaps named for the same reason that its principal town was called Rushville (q.v.). (HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1915, p. 39)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rushville
Description:Laid out in 1847, in Rush Township, and named for a dense growth of rushes nearby. It was first called Columbus (q.v.) and changed to its present form in 1851. (Eaton, p. 264; HIST. BUCHANAN, 1881, p. 372)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:San Antonio
Description:An old trading post and post office which was settled in 1850. Perhaps the name was derived from the city in Texas which was defended to the death by Texas patriots in the Mexican War. (HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1904, p. 48; HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1915, p. 60; MISSOURI GAZ., 1876-7, p. 1152)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Saxton
Description:Albe M. Saxton donated land for a railroad station and the town takes its name from him. (HIST. BUCHANAN, 1881, p. 380; HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1898, p. 75)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Saxton School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Shearer School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Sheperd School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Sherwood School (2)
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Singing Waters
Description:A stream found in the locality now called Lanowa (q.v.), tradition says, was named by a lost Indian girl, Lucheta, who thought she could hear an Indian song in the rushing of its waters. Lucheta frequently visited the falls on this stream while looking for her people. (LANOWA, 1925)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Sleepy Hollow School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:South Park School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:South St. Joseph
Description:With the opening of the Stock Yards a suburb of St. Joseph soon developed; and because of its relative position to the main part of the city, it was called South St. Joseph. In 1899 the city extended its limits to include the suburb. (HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1915, p. 61; HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1904, p. 49)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Sparta
Description:For a while Sparta had the honor of being the county seat town. In 1840 a town was laid out on the farm of Samuel McCauley and named Benton (q.v.). A few months later the name was changed to Sparta, but why is not recorded. Six years after the establishment of Sparta, the county seat was removed to St. Joseph. (HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1915, p. 58; HIST. BUCHANAN, 1881, pp. 126-8; HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1898, p. 73)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Sparta School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Spring Garden School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Spring Hollow School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:St. Joseph
Description:St. Joseph was laid off by Joseph Robidoux, who located permanently in the Blacksnake Hills (q.v.) in 1840. In 1843, he had two surveys made, one by Simon Kemper, who suggested the name Robidoux for the town, the other, by F.W. Smith, who named his plat St. Joseph, in honor of his patron, Saint Joseph. Robidoux selected the latter. Perhaps his modesty caused him to reject the honor of the name Robidoux, for by naming the town St. Joseph, he too was honoring his patron, Saint Joseph, husband of the Virgin Mary. In 1846 St. Joseph became the county seat, Sparta (q.v.) having failed to merit its claim longer. (Eaton, p. 264; SESSION LAWS, 1844, p. 216-7; HIST. BUCHANAN, 1881, p. 392-3; HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1904, pp. 50-58; Parker, p. 195; Robidoux, p. 142; JEFF. CITY INQ., July 12, 1845, p. 3)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Stamper School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Stanley
Description:A railroad station and country post office, perhaps from a personal name. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1893, p. 1230)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Steinacker School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Stock Yards
Description:South St. Joseph is also called the Stock Yards locality because the suburb originated when the yards were built. (Cited in MISSOURI GAZ., 1898-1899, p. 1395)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Stockbridge
Description:Originated from a bridge built over low ground for loading stock. It is a shipping point. (Mrs. John Gannett (letter); Cited in HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1915, p. 60; HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1898, p. 75; MISSOURI GAZ., 1898-1899, p. 1394)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Stony Point
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Tremont
Description:A village established about 1837, by Ismall Davis of Kentucky. The origin of the name was not found. (HIST. BUCHANAN, 1881, p. 134- 135)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Tremont Township
Description:Organized in 1839. (HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1913, p. 39)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Union School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Valley Chapel School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Vories
Description:"The real name of this post office is Voris, but it was intended for Vories, and so named for Judge Henry M. Vories, who was a Judge of the Supreme Court...The post office is now in the city of St. Joseph, but is still maintained, either as a separate post office or as a sub-station of the city post office." (Names File, No. 21; Cited in MISSOURI GAZ., 1898, p. 75)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Voris
Description:See Vories.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Walkup School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wallace
Description:Laid out in 1872 and named for an officer of the railroad which passed through the place. (HIST. BUCHANAN, 1881, pp. 376-8; Eaton, p. 264)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wallace School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Walnut Grove School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Walnut Hill
Description:A country post office, perhaps descriptive. (Hayward's GAZ., p. 824)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Warfield
Description:A country post office in existence between the years 1879 and 1883. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 1246)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Washington School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Washington Township
Description:Six counties honored George Washington by naming a township for him. Following are the dates of the establishment of each: Buchanan, 1842; Clinton, 1835; Daviess, 1838; De Kalb, 1845; Harrison, about 1845; Nodaway, 1845. (HIST. BUCHANAN, 1881, p. 135-6; HIST. OF CLINT., p. 106; HIST. OF DAVIESS, 1898, p. 12; ATLAS OF DE KALB, 1877; R.H. Dunn; PAST & PRESENT, vol. 1, p. 319-20)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wau-Wau-Lano-Wau
Description:Tradition says the Indians called the Platte Purchase Wau-Wau-Lano-Wau. From this name Lanowa (q.v.) has been coined recently, during a campaign to set off a state park in that region. (SAVANNAH REPORTER, Mar. 10, 1916, p. 1; LANOWA, 1925)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wayne Township
Description:Organized in 1842. Its origin was not discovered. (HIST. BUCHANAN, 1881, p. 133; HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1915, p. 39)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Webster School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Weis School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Whittier School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Willow Brook School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Willowbrook
Description:A name given to a village from a willow bordered stream nearby. (Eaton, p. 264)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wilson School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Winthrop
Description:Named in honor of Governor Winthrop, of the Massachusetts Colony, and established in 1857. The post office and town are now usually called East Atchison (q.v.). A nickname, Paw-Paw (q.v.), is also sometimes used for the town. (HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1898, p. 71; HIST. BUCHANAN & ST. JOSEPH, 1904, p. 45; HIST. BUCHANAN, 1881, p. 392)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Woodbine School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wyatt School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Young School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names