Boone County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Acton School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.
Place name:Ammon
Description:"A stream sawmill, operated by a Mr. Ammon, was the principal impetus to the growth of this hamlet, which was laid out December 19, 1879 and contained some twelve or fifteen houses. Since the removal of the mill the place has ceased to be a point of interest and importance to the community in which it is situated." (Wm. F. Switzler, HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 1076; J.C. Schwabe; P.S. Quinn)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Angell School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Arnett School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Arnold School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ashland
Description:Ashland was founded in 1853 and named by the admirers of Henry Clay for his home in Lexington, Kentucky. There may have been a grove of ash trees at or near the location of the town in early days, but the people living there prefer the other source as the origin of the name. (Eaton, p. 211; W.F. Switzler, HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 633; Gannett, p. 20; Columbian Evening Missourian, July 18, 1921, 4-3.) [Ashland was first founded in 1827 under the name "Wiseman." The post office was discontinued in 1856 and established as Ashland February 22, 1856 (Dr. Denny, Univ. of Missouri)]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Barnes School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Barnett School
Description:A local family name. [Built in 1877 for $300 on land donated by J.M. Alexander. (HIST. BOONE COUNTY (1881) p. 556) ]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bear Creek
Description:This is the only stream in Boone County named for a wild animal. It derived its name from the following apocryphal story: "In the time of the early settlers a woman was seated in a one room cabin with her baby in the cradle. A bear got on the cabin and fell down the chimney. The fire scorched him and the fall stunned him. The woman had the presence of mind to take the baby and leave the cabin. She remained outside until her husband returned and he opening the door of the cabin shot the bear. The cabin stood close to a stream, which afterward took the name Bear Creek." (UNIVERSITY MISSOURIAN, March 8, 1912, 3-2)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Benton School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bethel School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bethlehem School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Boone County
Description:Boone County was organized from Howard County, November 16, 1820, and named in honor of Daniel Boone, the pioneer and Indian fighter. It is not known who conceived the title of "Boone," but it is probable that its selection was influenced by the event of Daniel Boone's death September 26, 1820. The members of the legislature were wearing badges of mourning in respect to his memory. "Under such circumstances it is but a natural supposition that there should have been a prevalent sentiment to establish some lasting monument in honor of a man whose career had been so illustrious and whose name had been so closely linked with the early fortunes of Missouri." (HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 152; Beck, p. 227; Barns, p. 179; Conrad, v. I, p. 323; Eaton, v. 10, p. 211)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Boone's Lick
Description:Boone's Lick was a section of the country in the Missouri valley now occupied by Howard, Boone, Cooper and Callaway Counties. It had no definite boundaries. It received its name, "Boone's Lick," because the two sons of Daniel Boone, Nathan and Daniel, had come to the country in 1807 and made salt from the water of the salt springs they found in the region. (Johnson, p. 55; Barnes, p. 178; Houck, v. III, p. 148)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Boonesborough
Description:In 1836 a Mr. Woods laid off this town and named it in honor of Daniel Boone, the pioneer. It was in existence about twenty years. (Williams, HIST. OF MISSOURI, I, p. 235; Stephens, E.W.)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bourbon
Description:Established March 5, 1849 and named by some of the citizens who were from Bourbon County, Kentucky. It was also called Buena Vista meaning beautiful or good view. The building of the Wabash Railroad changed the site of Bourbon to Sturgeon.[?] The original spelling was Bourbonton but was shortened to Bourbon. (HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 543; COLUMBIA DAILY TRIBUNE, January 7, 1915) [p. 561 HIST. BOONE COUNTY]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bourbon Township
Description:This township was organized June 19, 1854 and named for Bourbon, its chief town. (q.v.). (HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 543)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Browns School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Browns Station
Description:Founded by the owners of a coal mine located nearby, and named to perpetuate the name of Dr. Leonidas B. Brown, the first physician of the village. No plot of the town was ever filed. (Eaton, p. 212; E.W. Stephens; J.C. Schwabe; COLUMBIA EVENING MISSOURIAN, Feb. 6, 1922; 4-5; Cited on Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brushwood
Description:This railroad station near McBaine was so called because it is on Mr. Brushwood's land. (J.F. Brossart; M.G. Proctor; CENTRALIA FIRESIDE GUARD, May 19, 1916, 1-5)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Burlington
Description:Colonel Thad Hickman, of Kentucky, founded the town of Burlington about 1856. Nothing could be learned concerning the name. The Missouri River destroyed the town many years ago. (P.S. Quinn; J.W. Sappington; Cited in ATLAS OF BOONE COUNTY, (1875) p. 51)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Burnett School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bush School
Description:A local family name. [Approximate location near Bush's Station and on land owned by C.C. Bush (Boone County Atlas) ]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Butler
Description:Founded by, and named in honor of, John Butler, who came here from New York. The town grew rapidly for a while and Mr. Butler grew wealthy. At the time of his death he owned 3700 acres of land. No plot of the town was filed. (J.C. Schwabe; A.M. Schwabe; M.G. Proctor)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Callaham Creek
Description:The earliest emigrant of Boone County found William Callaham domiciled near the creek which now bears his name. It is not known how long he had been there. Of late years the spelling has changed to Callahan. This is doubtless a confusion of the Anglo- Saxon "ham" for home and the familiar family name Callahan. (Conard, I, p. 323; HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 1067)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Callaham School
Description:A transferred name from a creek.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cardell School
Description:A local family name. [J. Cardle owned sixty acres in SE 1/4, Sec. 30, from 1875 Boone County Atlas, and there is symbolized a Methodist Church there, but no school. Location suspect.]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Carlisle School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Carter School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cave Creek
Description:"The entire country in the locality of Rockbridge is honey-combed with "sink-holes" and the cave whose opening fronts last, is entered by going down into one of these sinkholes. Inside is a stream called Cave Creek, that flows wholly underground from northeast to southwest." (HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 616)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cedar Creek
Description:The French named this stream because of the growth of cedar trees near its mouth. "At this place, also, the north bank of the Missouri assumes a most interesting appearance; it consists of a range of rocks, nearly perpendicular, from 130-150 feet high. They are composed of very white limestone, and their summits are covered to the edge with cedar." (Beck GAZETTEER OF ILLINOIS & MISSOURI, p. 266; COLUMBIA DAILY TRIBUNE, Dec. 14, 1914)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cedar Township
Description:This township received its name from the stream that forms its eastern boundary, Cedar Creek (q.v.). (P.S. Quinn; M.G. Proctor)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Centralia
Description:Centralia was laid out in 1857, but not incorporated until 1867. "It was named from its central position on the old North Missouri line of railway from St. Louis to Ottumwa, Iowa." It is also the center of a vast prairie between Mexico and Huntsville and between Columbia and Paris, Missouri. (HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 695; Eaton, p. 212; COLUMBIA MISSOURIAN, Oct. 22, 1923, 4-5; William, I, p. 236)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Centralia Township
Description:This township was organized June 30, 1874 and named for the town of Central (q.v.) (P.S. Quinn; M.G. Proctor)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Christian School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Clardy School
Description:Name of unknown origin. [1875 Boone County Atlas has school symbol on land in Sec. 12 owned by a C. Clardy. In 1898 Boone County Plat, school land is owned by J.C. Wilkenning and in 1917 by Hattie B. Wallace. 1940 Boone County Road Map has Sycamore School in almost the same location.]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Claysville
Description:Claysville came into existence November 13, 1844 after the flood of that year, and was named by the admirers of Henry Clay in his honor. Clay was Whig candidate for the presidency in 1844 and as the majority of settlers were from the south, it was natural they should wish to honor one of their greatest statesmen. (Eaton, p. 212; HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 622; COLUMBIA EVENING MISSOURIAN, Feb. 6, 1922, 4-5)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Claysville School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Clear Creek
Description:Clear Creek derives its name from the fact that its whole course is over a rock bottom and its waters are unusually clear, being truly a clear creek. (ATLAS OF COOPER COUNTY, p. 21; UNIVERSITY MISSOURIAN, Feb. 3, 1923, 6-4; P.S. Quinn)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Columbia
Description:The county seat of Boone County was laid out in 1821. It was named "Columbia" for patriotic reasons "for the queen of the world and the child of the skies." (Eaton, D.W., p. 211; COLUMBIA MISSOURIAN, Feb. 27, 1923, 4-7; Walter Williams, HIST. OF N.E. MISSOURI, I, p. 232) [I says: "named for America's discoverer, Christopher Columbus"]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Columbia Township
Description:This township was organized in May, 1821 and named for the county seat town, (q.v.). (P.S. Quinn; M.G. Proctor)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Conley School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Coon Branch
Description:This stream is so named because the early settlers found many raccoons in the trees along its banks. (COLUMBIA EVENING MISSOURIAN, Aug. 15, 1921, 1-6)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Crenshaw School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cummings School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cunningham School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Daniel
Description:A station of the Missouri Kansas Texas line, was first named Webster. There happened to be another Webster in the state so the name was changed to Daniel for Daniel Webster Hunt, who gave the land for the station. (M.G. Proctor; Cited on Railroad Commissioner's Map of 1910) [Northwest of McBaine on the railroad]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Deer Park
Description:"In the early days Judge Harris owned a farm, a part of which was devoted to a large park in which were kept a great number of deer. When a precinct was established there and a post office built on one corner of the farm, it was only natural that the name chosen for the precinct was Deer Park." (COLUMBIA EVENING MISSOURIAN, Feb. 6, 1922, 4-5; M.G. Proctor)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Deer Park School
Description:A transferred name from a town. See Deer Park.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Dinwiddie School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Douglass School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Dripping Spring
Description:There is located near this country store a spring that drips from the rocks into a large branch. This is one of the most appropriate names in the county. (Eaton, p. 212; HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 1075; COLUMBIA MISSOURIAN, Oct. 22, 1923, 4- 5)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Dunbar School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Easley
Description:This village was named in honor of W.G. Easley, who not only owned the land on which the town was built, but was also the postmaster and owner of the store. The station name of the town is Rutland in honor of a railroad official of the Missouri Kansas Texas line. (P.S. Quinn; Edwin Nichols; COLUMBIA MISSOURIAN, Oct. 25, 1923, 6-2)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ellis School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Englewood
Description:Englewood was named by Miss Lizzie Smith, who taught school near there, for Englewood, Illinois. She had returned from a visit to Englewood shortly after her uncle established the store. (Edwin Nichols; Cited on Railroad Commissioner's Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Englewood School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Eugene Field School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Eureka
Description:A boat landing on the Missouri River, has proved a difficult one to trace. [May be close to Wilton] The word is of Greek origin meaning "I have found it." It is probable that someone seeking a good boat landing gave that name to the place because of its meaning. The river claimed the town in 1865. (P.S. Quinn; Cited in MISSOURI STATE GAZETTEER & BUSINESS DIRECTORY, p. 79)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Everett
Description:Laid out in 1860. Mr. Charles Sexton established a plow factory there and the town flourished for a while. It was called Sextons for a time. When or why the name was changed to Everett is not known. (P.S. Quinn; M.G. Proctor)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Everett School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Far West School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Faucett School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Flat Branch
Description:This stream is well named. A short distance beyond its head it has no banks and overflows easily. (P.S. Quinn; A.M. Schwabe; Cited on MAP OF BOONE COUNTY ATLAS, p. 5)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Flint School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fowler's Creek
Description:This creek was named for the Fowler family who lived on its banks. (P.S. Quinn; M.G. Proctor; Cited in ATLAS OF BOONE COUNTY, p. 47)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gallup's Mill
Description:Thomas J. Gallup operated a grist mill at this place for many years. It is now extinct. (Eaton, p. 287; COLUMBIA EVENING MISSOURIAN, Feb. 6, 1922, 4-5; M.G. Proctor)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Germantown
Description:Scultz and Fretter, two enterprising Germans, founded this town in 1858. "They erected a large, substantial store, which they filled from cellar to garret with all kinds of merchandise. The town was burned during the Civil War and never rebuilt." (HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 1077; J.C. Schwabe)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gillaspy School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ginlet
Description:"A very small store was started there and application was made for a post office. Since the place was so small its inhabitants suggested the name "Gimlet." The post office department mistook the "m" for an "n" and named the town "Ginlet." The place is still known by that name, although the post office has been abolished." (COLUMBIA MISSOURIAN, Oct. 25, 1923, 6-2; M.G. Proctor; Cited on Railroad Company Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Givens School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Good Water Creek
Description:No doubt this creek received its name from the good, clear water it has. (P.S. Quinn) [Also enters Audrain County]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Goose Creek
Description:The following, possibly apocryphal, story accounts for this name: "Two women had a quarrel on its banks. The cause of their contention was two geese. Several lawsuits and a great deal of ill feeling resulted from the encounter." This story appears to be local folk lore. (UNIVERSITY MISSOURIAN, March 8, 1912, 3-2) [This is the creek which flows across the northwest part of the University of Missouri campus. Under the road at the entrance to the columns across Peace Park (by Geology building and McAlester Hall) then is channeled underground again and empties into Flat Branch Creek. (Boone County Plat Book, 1875; S. Totten, 1975) ]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Grand View School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Grant School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Grassland School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Grindstone Creek
Description:The early settlers used rocks from the bluffs near this creek for making grindstones. (UNIVERSITY MISSOURIAN, March 8, 1912, 3-2; M.G. Proctor) (Cited in ATLAS OF BOONE COUNTY, p. 419)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Grindstone School
Description:A transferred name from a creek.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hallsville
Description:Hallsville was laid out in 1866 and named for Judge John W. Hall, a pioneer citizen and its first postmaster. (Eaton, p. 212; HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 1116; Conrad, v. III, p. 162; Williams, I, p. 237)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Harg
Description:The original name of this village was McHarg. It was given in honor of Mr. John H. McHarg who had a store there. The name was shortened to Harg as an accommodation to the post office department. (COLUMBIA MISSOURIAN, Oct. 25, 1923, 6-2; M.G. Proctor; J.C. Schwabe)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Harrisburg
Description:Founded July, 1871 and was named for John W. Harris, owner of the model farm near Columbia, and a prominent citizen of the county. (Eaton, p. 212; HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 1073; Williams, I, p. 237) [Formerly referred to as Greenland. Greenland post office established December 11, 1860. (Dr. Hugh Denny's records of Missouri post offices.) ]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hayden School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hickory Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hinkson Creek
Description:Hinkson derives its name from Robert Hinkson, one of the first settlers of Boone County. He came here in 1816. The name is often misspelled "Hinkston." (HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 735; COLUMBIA DAILY TRIBUNE, Dec. 18, 1914)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hinton
Description:This village commemorates the name of Judge John W. Hinton, who was, for many years, a steamboat captain and in 1872 was elected probate judge of Boone County. (J.C. Schwabe, M.G. Proctor, COLUMBIA MISSOURIAN, Oct. 25, 1923, 6-2)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Huntsdale
Description:Huntsdale, laid out August 1, 1892, received its name from William Bunch Hunt, a nearby land owner. (J.F. Brossart; I. Williams, p. 237; COLUMBIA MISSOURIAN, Oct. 22, 1923, 4-5)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Huntsdale School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jacobs School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jamison Creek [also Jimmerson or Jemerson]
Description:This creek bears the name of a family who lived near it. (M.G. Proctor, Edwin Nichols, P.S. Quinn)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Joe Wren School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Johnson Branch
Description:This stream was named in honor of "Alfred Johnson, said to have been the largest man in the world." Nothing further could be found concerning Mr. Johnson. (EVENING MISSOURIAN, Aug. 15, 1921, 1-6; HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 550)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jones School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Judy School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Keene School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Kelley Creek
Description:Kelley Creek was named for the Kelley family though no one member seemed so prominent as to give it his name. (P.S. Quinn; M.G. Proctor)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lakeview School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lathrope School
Description:A local family name. [Also known as Lathrop Academy, (Boone County Atlas, 1875) ]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lebanon
Description:Laid out about 1836 and was named for a nearby church. The town is now extinct. (P.S. Quinn; Cited in HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 1117) [Found Lebanon on several state maps 1840-1860, but location varied.]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lee School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lexington
Description:"The first post office on Thrall's Prairie, as the land which Mr. Thrall entered was called, because of its topography, was named Lexington. But in a short time it was moved to the Missouri River bank and given the name of Rock Port which was later changed to Rocheport." The name Lexington seems to have no justification outside of the fact that it is one of national importance and reputation since the days of the American Revolution. (COLUMBIA MISSOURIAN, Feb. 3, 1923, 6-4; P.S. Quinn)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lick Fork
Description:This stream was so named on account of the number of deer licks along its banks. (COLUMBIA EVENING MISSOURIAN, Aug. 15, 1921, 1-6; HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 550)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Linden School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Long Creek
Description:This name is applied to a long creek which flows across the prairie. (P.S. Quinn; Cited in ATLAS OF BOONE COUNTY, p. 73).
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Martin School
Description:A local family name. [Storekeeper named Martin in Sapp. School in Sapp could be named after him?]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:McBaine
Description:Founded August 1, 1899, was named in honor of Turner McBaine, who owned the land on which the town was built. (Williams, I, p. 237; COLUMBIA MISSOURIAN, Oct. 22, 1923, 4-5)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:McBaine School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:McGuire School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Middletown
Description:Middletown was surveyed May 18, 1847. Nothing definite could be found concerning the name. It was perhaps midway between Germantown and Harrisburg or some local point. Nothing of the town remains today. (P.S. Quinn, Cited in Parker, p. 193) [Also referred to as Middleburgh. Post office established Dec. 12, 1850 and discontinued July 6, 1855. Post office reestablished Feb. 16, 1858 and discontinued in Sept., 1858. Mail went to Rome. (Dr. Denny's Post Office files) ]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Middletown School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Midway
Description:Midway is the mid-point between Columbia and Rocheport. It is also practically the mid-point between Kansas City and St. Louis on Highway 40. (Eaton, p. 212, Williams, I, p. 237, COLUMBIA MISSOURIAN, Oct. 25, 1923, 6-2)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Midway School [also Midway Heights School]
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Minnie
Description:This country store was probably named for the wife or daughter of the owner. However, nothing definite was found. (Cited on Railroad Commissioner's Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Missouri Township
Description:This township was settled in 1816 and organized as a township February 18, 1822. It was named in honor of the state and river. (P.S. Quinn; M.G. Proctor)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Moniteau Creek
Description:"Moniteau is a French translation of "Manitou," an Indian name meaning Diety or Great Spirit." (E.W. Stephens, Cited on Sectional Map of Missouri) [It marks the boundary between Boone and Howard Counties for two ways.]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Murry School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Nashville
Description:Nashville "was laid out in 1819 just below the present site of Providence on a Spanish grant of land owned by Ira P. Nash, an eccentric genius, who lived in that vicinity for many years." In 1820 the town was partly destroyed by the Missouri River and abandoned. (HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 639; COLUMBIA MISSOURIAN, Oct. 25, 1923, 6-2; Williams, I, p. 234)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Nashville School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oak Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oakland School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oldham
Description:Mr. Asa Old, the owner of this country store, took great pride in boasting of his stock of old hams. As they are poor stock to have in a country store the place took the name of Oldham in honor of Mr. Old and his hams. (M.G. Proctor, John Will Sappington)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:O'Rear School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Owen School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pauley School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Perche Township
Description:This township was organized in 1821 and named for the Rock Perche Creek which runs through the township from north to south. (see Rock Perche). (HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 1069)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Perchetown
Description:"Perchetown, or "the town of Persia," as it is spelled in the record of deeds, was laid off April 2, 1821," and named for Perche Creek (q.v.). Both names, Persia and Perche, were evidently applied to the town. The Missouri Intelligencer for April 1, 1820, 3-2 advertised lots for sale in "the town of Persia." On the Higgin's Map of Missouri Perche is used. Persia tried to secure the seat of Justice of Boone County but failing to obtain it the town was abandoned. (HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 1073; COLUMBIA DAILY TRIBUNE, Jan. 25, 1915; HERALD STATESMAN, April 1895, p. 76) [Later in history was a Perche Post Office but that was at another location. See Perche Post Office.]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Persinger
Description:John Persinger owned the land on which this station was built and it was named in his honor. (J.C. Schwabe, P.S. Quinn, Cited on Railroad Commissioner's Map of Missouri 1910) [One mile southwest of Switzler on Norfolk and Western Railroad]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Petersburg
Description:Petersburg was founded in 1836 and was named for Dr. Peters who lived there. All evidence of the town has long since passed away. (P.S. Quinn; J.C. Schwabe; Williams, I, p. 235) [Post office established March 27, 1838 and discontinued November 19, 1849. Mail went to Bourbonton (Bourbenton?) on Silver Fork Creek southeast of Sturgeon. Location from HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 535]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Petite Bonne Femme
Description:The following, possibly apocryphal story, is told concerning the origin of this name. "A Frenchman was wounded in a conflict with the Indians and received care from an Indian woman in regard for whom he called the nearby stream "Bonne Femme" or "Good Woman." Later "Petite" was added by the settlers to distinguish the creek from "Big Bonne Femme" in Howard County. (COLUMBIA MISSOURIAN, Feb. 3, 1923, 6-4; Campbell, p. 43) [Formed by joining of Gans Creek and Clear Creek]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pierpont
Description:This name was suggested to Mr. J.K. Fyber, owner of the store, by a professor in the University of Missouri. It means "stonypoint" and is very fitting as the store is near Boone County's famous Rock Bridge. (Names File No. 2; Cited on Railroad Commissioner's Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Points
Description:Points was named for Dr. J. [W.] Points, its leading physician. It is now extinct. (J.C. Schwabe, P.S. Quinn, Cited on Higgin's Map of Missouri) [Post office was established June 2, 1886 and discontinued September 20, 1897. (HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 1127) ]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Potts School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Powell School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pratherville
Description:Bears the name of William Prather, who built the store on his farm. It is still in existence and supplies the nearby miners. (J.C. Schwabe, P.S. Quinn) [Spelled "Prathersville" on U.S.G.S. 1969 map.]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Prospect School
Description:Name of unknown origin.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Providence
Description:"Nashville was washed away by the flood of 1844, and the people decided to establish a village up on the bluffs away from the river. This new village they called Providence. They felt it had been Providence who had driven them to seek a new location and they hoped Providence would keep their new home from being washed away." (COLUMBIA EVENING MISSOURIAN, Feb. 6, 1922, 4-5; Cited on Clark's Sec. Map 1860)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Providence School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ramsey's Bluff
Description:Ramsey's Bluff, a boat landing on the Missouri River, was named for a family of Ramseys who lived there. The place remained a boat landing several years but was finally abandoned. (P.S. Quinn; Cited on Whitmore's GAZETTEER OF MISSOURI, p. 43)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Red Rock School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Richland School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ridgeway School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Riggs
Description:This country store and post office bears the name of the keeper, Shelton Riggs. Recently the post office was abandoned but the store remains. (E.W. Stephens, M.G. Proctor, Cited on Railroad Commissioner's Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Rileysburg
Description:Many years ago John Riley ran a store "and kept the post office." (HERALD STATESMAN, April, 1895, p. 92; M.G. Proctor, Sr.)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Roberts School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Robinson School
Description:A local family name. [Robinson family owned 240 acres of Sec. 8 in 1875 Atlas and 1878 Plat books of Boone County. School symbolized on part of this land, in those references.]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Robnett School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Roche Percee [Perche]
Description:This stream "received its name from a high craggy cliff on the Missouri River near its mouth, called by the French, Roche Percee, perforated or split rock." Part of the name has been dropped and the spelling has been changed until the stream is now known as "the Percee." (Switzler, p. 1069; Beck, p. 313, Thwaites, Vol. 14, p. 147) [1975 Note: 1969 Harrisburg 7.5 Min Quad has spelling as Perche]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Rocheport
Description:"The name of this place was first intended to be Rock Port, but it was changed to Rocheport at the instance, it is said, of a French missionary who was in the neighborhood. The name signifies a "rocky port" or "port of rocks." The town was surveyed in 1825. (Eaton, p. 213; COLUMBIA MISSOURIAN, Oct. 22, 1923, 4-5; Barns, p. 178; HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 999)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Rock Bridge
Description:This peculiar formation of rock received its name from the bridge in Virginia because of the similarity between the two. (COLUMBIA MISSOURIAN, Feb. 3, 1923, 6-4)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Rocky Fork Creek
Description:The significance of this creek is told in its name. At the point where it enters Percee there is a large bed of limestone cut into a fork by the two creeks, thus the origin of the name. The country on its banks is rugged and broken, and the surrounding hills are very rocky. (UNIVERSITY MISSOURIAN, March 8, 1912, 3-2)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Rocky Fork Township
Description:This township was organized in May, 1821 and received its name from the stream known as Rocky Fork of the Perche. Rocky Fork Creek empties into the Perche in this township. (HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 1105; P.S. Quinn)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Rucker
Description:Rucker, a country store, was named in honor of Major John F. Rucker, an influential businessman of Sturgeon, Missouri. Major Rucker was prominent in politics having held the office of Chairman of the Congressional Central Committee for several years. In 1875 he was elected to the convention to form a new State constitution. (Eaton, p. 213; COLUMBIA MISSOURIAN, Oct. 22, 1923, 4-5; HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 607)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Shaw
Description:Shaw was named for Mr. S.M. Shaw, who owned a large farm nearby. (COLUMBIA MISSOURIAN, Oct. 25, 1923, 6-2; Cited on Railroad Commission Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Silver's Fork
Description:Silver's Fork received its name from "Hugh Silvers who settled what is now known as the Stice Farm, near Dripping Springs Church. He gave his name to one of the most beautiful streams in Boone County." (HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 1070; COLUMBIA DAILY TRIBUNE, Dec. 14, 1914; UNIVERSITY MISSOURIAN, March 8, 1912, 3-2) [Referred to as Silver Creek in 1875 Boone County Atlas]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Smackout
Description:The following story is told concerning the origin of this name. "Very few articles were kept in stock. When a customer came to purchase something, nine times out of ten the article was out of stock and Mr. McKinsie, the proprietor, would exclaim, "I am just smackout of that." Thus the place became known as Smackout. The store has been extinct for many years. (P.S. Quinn; M.G. Proctor)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Smithton
Description:From 1818 until 1821 Smithton was the county seat of Boone County. It was named in honor of General T.A. Smith, receiver of the land office at Franklin, and one of the proprietors of the town site. No trace of the town remains today. (HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 197; Campbell, p. 65; Williams, I, p. 232) [Stood on elevated ground one-half mile west of present Columbia Courthouse, on what was later known as the Garth property. The eastern boundary of the town ran near the line of Columbia's present First Street. (p. 33 Ramsay PLACE NAMES OF BOONE COUNTY, MO) ]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Stapletown
Description:Named for S.T. Stapletown, who had a flour mill there. The place was abandoned years ago. (A.M. Schwabe) [Located in the western part of the county, two and a half miles above the junction of Callahan and Perche Creek. Also sawed lumber with which the State University was built.]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Star School
Description:Name of unknown origin.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Stonesport
Description:Laid out in 1836 by Asa Stone, an extensive landowner in that neighborhood, and named for him. This is another of the defunct villages that once aspired to be the capitol of of the state. After the flood of 1844 the town was abandoned and the inhabitants moved to higher ground, now Claysville. (Eaton, p. 212; HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 639; Williams, I, p. 234) [A little over a mile above Claysville on the Missouri River.]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Strawn School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sturgeon
Description:Sturgeon bears the name of Isaac H. Sturgeon, then the Superintendent of the North Missouri Railroad. "When first laid out, 1856, the founders of Sturgeon had in view a great future for their town; not only was it intended to be a great railroad and shipping point, but it was intended, and so advertised, to be the county seat of the new county of Rollins. As "Rollins County" was never formed, Sturgeon never became a county capital." (HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 561; COLUMBIA EVENING MISSOURIAN, July 18, 1921, 4-3; Eaton, p. 213)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sugar Creek
Description:Surgar Creek is so called from the sugar maples on its banks. (Campbell, p. 68; Cited on U.S. Geological Survey, Jefferson City Sheet)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Summerville
Description:"In January, 1848, Ensibus Hubbard and David Jacob plotted a town on the east side of Range Line Road, halfway between the present town of Deer Park and Englewood, which they called Summerville. But this was only a town on paper." Nothing is known of the origin of the name. (Williams, I, p. 235) [Also spelled "Summersville." Post office established October 24, 1849 and discontinued February 4, 1852. Reestablished March 8, 1952 and discontinued June 10, 1856. (Dr. Hugh Denny, University of Missouri.) ]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Switzler
Description:This station, in the coal mining district of the county, was named for Colonel William F. Switzler, a historian of no little fame. (J.C. Schwabe; M.G. Proctor; Cited on Railroad Commissioner's Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sycamore School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Thrall's Prairie
Description:In 1816 Augusta Thrall, an emigrant from Tennessee settled on here. The first cabin in Boone County was erected in 1812 on Thrall's Prairie. In 1816 Thrall's Prairie became the first permanent settlement. (HIST. BOONE COUNTY, p. 979; COLUMBIA MISSOURIAN, Feb. 3, 1923, 6-4; Conrad, I, p. 323) [On the western edge of the county. Two and a half miles northwest of Rocheport.]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Tucker School
Description:A local family name. [Built in 1869]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Turkey Creek
Description:Turkey Creek was so named because of the abundance of wild turkeys found in the neighborhood. (UNIVERSITY MISSOURIAN, March 8, 1912, 3-2; M.G. Proctor)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Turner School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Turner Station
Description:Turner Station on the Missouri Kansas Texas Railroad commemorates the name of Judge Turner, who was once judge of the county court. (M.G. Proctor; Cited on Railroad Commissioner's Map of Missouri 1910)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Two Mile Prairie
Description:As indicated by its name this prairie is two miles in length. (P.S. Quinn) [Has as eastern boundary Cedar Creek. Nelson Creek headwaters and a branch of Hinkson Creek on west and north.]
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Union School
Description:A transferred name from a church.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Valley Springs School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Varnon School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Vawter School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Via School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wade School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wallace School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Walnut Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Warren School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:White Oak School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:White School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Whoopup [See Sapp]
Description:After the flood of 1844 a cooperative store was built near Dry Ridge Church and was called "the store at Dry Ridge." Two stories are told concerning the origin of the present name "Whoopup." The most probable one is as follows: "One day the proprietor and his clerks were busy wrapping up goods and people who crowded the store were all clamoring to be waited on next. Some man came in and said, "What is the name of this town? This is like a town store and it ought to have a name." Mr. Roddy, the proprietor, was tying up a large bundle and he said, "Whoopup, Whoopup, that's the name of this store, Whoopup." So it went by that name for a long time until the post office was established there and they wanted a more dignified name. A young fellow by the name of Sapp was teaching school in the district, and as his name was not an ordinary one, was short and easy to say, they called the place Sapp, and it goes by that name today." (Eaton, p. 287) People living in the community of "the store at Dry Ridge" were in the habit of playing marbles there all morning, going home for lunch, returning immediately and playing marbles all afternoon. Someone remarked, "They certainly are whooping it up over there playing marbles." Hence the name. (H.P. Cheavens) Regardless of the origin of "Whoopup" it is now used only as a nickname.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wilhite
Description:Wilhite bears the name of John Wilhite, owner of the store. (J.C. Schwabe; M.G. Proctor)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:William Wren School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wilton
Description:Wilton, founded October, 1892, was first called Spencer for G.P. Spencer. About forty years ago it was changed to Wilton in honor of J. Dee. Wilton, who was for many years an attorney and at one time prosecuting attorney of Boone County. (E.W. Stephens; Williams, I, p. 237)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wilton School
Description:A transferred name from a town.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Winn School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Woodlandville
Description:Was so named because the land was covered with wood that had to be cleared away when the store was built. (Eaton, p. 213; COLUMBIA MISSOURIAN, Oct. 22, 1923, 4-5; J.C. Schwabe)
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Woods School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Zaring School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Pace, Nadine. "Place Names In The Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names