Barton County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Anderson School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Ardath
Description:Ardath was laid out and named by a Mr. Swan about 1910. He may have taken the name from Marie Corelli's novel, ARDATH, published in 1889. (H.C. Chancellor; C.D. Goodrum)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Baker's Grove (later Fairbanks, q.v.)
Description:Baker's Grove was named for the pioneer family of Bakers, who lived in a beautiful grove of oaks. (C.D. Goodrum; C. Snip)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Baker's Grove School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Banner School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Barton City (later Hannon, q.v.)
Description:Established soon after the Civil War, was an old trading-point and got its name from Barton County (q.v.).
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Barton City School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Barton City Township
Description:Named for Barton City (q.v.). (E.L. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Barton County
Description:Established by an act of the legislature on December 12, 1855. It was named by George E. Ward, the man who owned the site of Lamar and helped to build the city, for United States Senator David Barton, who was elected October 2, 1820 in a joint session of the legislature on first ballot, "viva voce," and served until 1830. (Session Acts 1854- 1855; E.L. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Beloit
Description:Laid out by A. Steetman, July 25, 1881. It was known before as Carleton Station. There are Beloits in six other states. It is probable that the store was named for Beloit, Wisconsin, as many people from the north settled in Barton County. (Missouri (16), p. 544; Mrs. C. Snip)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Berry Hill (later Hell-on-the-Line, q.v.)
Description:Laid out March 24, 1888 by Philo H. Sawyer. No reason for the name is known. (Missouri (16), p. 544; C.D. Goodrum; C. Snip)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Blackjack School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Blue School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Blue Star School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Boston (earlier Carleton Station, q.v.; then Beloit, q.v.)
Description:Named for Boston, Massachusetts. (Eaton (28), p. 207; E.L. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Boston School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Bryan School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Burgess
Description:The trading- point Burgess was named in the 1880s for a Kentuckian named Burgess who was interested in the coal mines in this region. (J.S. Allen; E.L. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Burgess School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Bushnell
Description:A trading- point six miles east of Lamar, was established by Andy and Sibyl (his sister) Bushnell about 1884, and took its name from them. (B.E. Winton)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Caput
Description:A village and post office five miles west of Lamar. Possibly it was named by some Latin student, who wanted it to be the "head" of all the other places of the region. (H.C. Chancellor; C.D. Goodrum)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Caput School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Carleton Station (later Beloit, q.v.; then Boston, q.v.)
Description:Carleton Station was the name of Beloit before 1881. No reason for the name is known. (Missouri (16), p. 544)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Catalpa Park
Description:Sometime after G.H. Walser had established Liberal (q.v.), he turned spiritualist, wrote a life of Christ, and established Catalpa Park, to which his spiritualist friends could come from all parts of the country to worship. He called it Catalpa Park because it was in a beautiful grove of catalpas. (Missouri (16), p. 536-8)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Central School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Central Township
Description:Named from its position in the county. (C.D. Goodrum; H.C. Chancellor)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cherry Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:City View School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Coal Valley School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Coon Creek [1 of 2]
Description:A small stream rising near the Dade County line and flowing westward to Muddy Creek south of Lamar. It got its name among the pioneers from the abundance of raccoons along its course. (C.D. Goodrum; H.C. Chancellor)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Coon Creek [2 of 2] (post office) (later Midway, q.v.; then Dublin, q.v.)
Description:The name of a trading-point in the southern part of Barton County in the pioneer days. It was named for the creek nearby. (C.D. Goodrum; H.C. Chancellor)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Coon Creek Mill
Description:Named for Coon Creek (q.v.) on which it is located. (C.D. Goodrum; H.C. Chancellor)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Cross Roads School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Deadwood Branch (later Drywood Branch)
Description:The first name of a branch rising in the northwestern part of Barton County, emptying into the Marmaton in Vernon, given by the pioneers because the ridges along its course were covered with dead timber. Later renamed Drywood (q.v.). (Holcombe's HIST. VERNON (1887), 154; Myers, Place-Names in the Southwest Counties of Missouri (1930), 74)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Denison, North (later Liberal, q.v.)
Description:North Denison was laid out in 1884 by A. Delissa, and is in the north part of the present town of Liberal (q.v.). It was probably named for Denison, Texas, because there was much trade between these two sections during this time. The suffix "North" is applied to its relative position. (E.L. Moore; Missouri (16), p. 54-55)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Denison, South (later Liberal, q.v.)
Description:South Denison was laid out in 1884 by R.C. Goss, and is the south part of the present town of Liberal. It was very likely named for Denison, Texas, as was North Denison (q.v.). The suffix "South", applies to the relative position of the place. (Missouri (16), p. 541-2)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Diamond School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Dorris Creek
Description:Dorris Creek, which flows into Pettis Creek, was named for a family who lived along its course. (C.D. Goodrum; H.C. Chancellor)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Dorris Valley School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Doylesport
Description:A trading- point in the northeast part of the county. It was probably named for a Doyle family in the neighborhood, but the reason for suffixing "port" is not known. (C.D. Goodrum; E.L. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Doylesport School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Doylesport Township
Description:Named for Doylesport. (E.L. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Drywood Branch (earlier Deadwood Branch)
Description:This name, which replaced Deadwood (q.v.) was adopted for the same reason. (Coues "Expedition of Pike" (1895), II, note, p. 386; Holcombe's HIST. VERNON (1887), 516; Myers; Place-Names in the Southwest Counties of Missouri (1930), 74)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Drywood Creek
Description:A stream in the northwest part of the county, was named by the pioneers because the ridges along its course were covered with dead timber. (C.D. Goodrum; C. Snip)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Dublin (earlier Coon Creek, q.v.; then Midway, q.v.)
Description:Dublin was named by Mrs. Gilson, a native of Ireland, for the city of that name in the "old country." (Bert Webb; C.D. Goodrum)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Duval Creek
Description:Duval Creek, which flows into Little North Fork from the north, was named for a family living nearby. (C.D. Goodrum; H.C. Chancellor)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Duval School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:English School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Esrom Post Office (earlier Farmersville, q.v.)
Description:A post office eight miles southwest of Lamar beginning in 1880. It was very probably named for the Biblical Esrom, and ancestor of Judah, mentioned in the genealogy of Christ (Luke 3:33) (Missouri (16), p. 545)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Excelsior School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Fair View School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Fairbanks (earlier Baker's Grove, q.v.)
Description:A later name for Baker's Grove, was named for a merchant there. (J.S. Allen; H.C. Chancellor)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Fairmount School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Farmer School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Farmers Union School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Farmersville (later Esrom, q.v.)
Description:Farmersville was a name applied to Esrom for a time. It is in a good farming section, and that is probably the reason for the name Farmersville. (C. Snip; C.D. Goodrum)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Forest Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Friendship School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Gilmartin School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Ginger Hill School
Description:A nickname.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Glen Dale School (2)
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Golden City
Description:Was named for the neighboring Golden Grove (q.v.) by Mrs. Lucile Morgan. (Mrs. C.P. Hawkins)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Golden City School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Golden City Township
Description:Golden City Township took its name from the city. (E.L. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Golden Grove
Description:A great forest of about four thousand acres just north of Golden City, was named from some small gold mines in the north part of the grove. (Dr. E.V. Lafoon; Mrs. C.P. Hawkins)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Golden Grove School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Granger School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Greer School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Haines Grove School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Hannon (earlier Barton City, q.v.)
Description:When Barton City got a post office it came under the name of Hannon. It was probably named from the family name of Hannon, a common Celtic name for O'Hannon, descended from Annan, which came from the river Annan in Scotland. (Harrison (57)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Hannon School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Harmony School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Hell-on-the-Line (earlier Berry Hill, q.v.)
Description:Hell-on-the-Line is a nickname for Berry Hill, which was on the Kansas-Missouri line. In the days of dry Kansas and wet Missouri, many Kansans came over to the Missouri town and drank and fought. (C.D. Goodrum; C. Snip)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Horse Creek (later Newport, q.v.)
Description:For many years the trading-point at Newport was known as Horse Creek because it was located near Horse Creek (q.v.). (E.L. Moore; J.S. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Iantha
Description:Iantha was laid out by M.N. Wills of Lamar, July 25, 1881. The name Ianthe is of classic origin, the daughter of Oceanus and Tethys. In modern times she appears in Sir William Davenant's "THE SIEGE OF RHODES" and in Shelley's "QUEEN MAB." Byron dedicates "CHILDE HAROLD'S PILGRIMAGE" to Ianthe (his name for Lady Charlotte Harley, daughter of the Earl of Oxford). This little town was very likely named for some lady who had been named for Ianthe. (Harper (54); Standard Dict.; Ency. Brit. (59); Ency. Dict.)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Iantha School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Irwin
Description:Laid out by James McCormick February 9, 1884. It was named for a local family who owned land there. (Eaton (28), p. 207; E.L. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Irwin School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Kenoma
Description:Laid out by an early merchant, Barnebas Boggess, of Illinois, October 26, 1884. No reason for the name is known. (Missouri (16), p. 545; Eaton (28), p. 207)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Kenoma Lake
Description:Near Kenoma, and was named for the town. (H.C. Chancellor)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Kenoma School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lamar
Description:Laid out in 1846 by order of the county court on land owned by George E. Ward and his son-in-law, Joseph C. Parry. The town was named by Mrs. George E. Ward for an old Louisiana friend of hers, Mirabeau B. Lamar, who had been President of Texas recently. (George Ward; Eaton (28), p. 207)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lamar School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lamar Township
Description:Lamar Township takes its name from the city. (E.L. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Last Chance
Description:The last station on the Frisco just inside of Missouri on the Missouri-Kansas line. It was so called in 1881 because it was the "last chance" to get a drink of whiskey when Kansas was dry and Missouri wet. (H.C. Chancellor; E.L. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Le Roy
Description:Laid out by John Jones on January 12, 1873, was built one mile east and three-quarters south of the Oskaloosa site. No reason for the name is known. (Missouri (16), p. 543; Mrs. C. Snip)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Le Roy Township
Description:Took its name from Le Roy. (C. Snip)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Ledbetter School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Liberal (earlier Denison, North and South, q.v.)
Description:When G.H. Walser came in 1881 he laid off a new town on the east, adjacent to North Denison and South Denison and named it Liberal. The name is an embodiment of his views. The following quotation, from the historical account, taken from one of his pamphlets (not named and now unobtainable) show the reason for the name. "The reason we started the town was that it was apparent to all that no person could live in a Christian community and express an honest opinion regarding the Christian religion adverse to the interest of priestcraft without hazarding his business and social standing."-----"With one foot upon the neck of priestcraft, and the other upon the rock of truth, we have thrown our banner to the breeze and challenged the world to produce a better cause for the devotion of man than that of a grand, noble, and perfect humanity."-----"Bound to no creed, to no sect confined, the world our home, our brethren all mankind." "No god, no devil, no hell, no heaven." In 1884 North and South Denison united with Liberal and petitioned the county court for incorporation under the name of Liberal. (Missouri (16), p. 536-538)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Liberal School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Little Drywood
Description:This is the largest tributary of Drywood (q.v.) and gets its name from the stream into which it empties. (C.D. Goodrum; C. Snip)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Little Drywood
Description:A tributary of the Marmaton River; rises in the northeastern part of Barton County. A smaller stream than the neighboring Drywood Creek (q.v.), from which it doubtless derives its name. Both streams empty into the Marmaton River. (Missouri Nevada Sheet Maps 1894; Holcombe's HIST. VERNON (1887), 516; Myers Place-Names in the Southwest Counties of Missouri (1930), 74)
Source:Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Northfork
Description:Little Northfork rises near Mindenmines and flows southward to Northfork. It was so named because it was an important tributary to Northfork (q.v.). (C.D. Goodrum; C. Snip)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lone Elm School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lone Star School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Lookout School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Malta
Description:A trading-point six miles east and one mile north of Dublin, was established near 1870 and continued for several years. The reason for borrowing the name of the famous Mediterranean island is not known. (C.D. Goodrum)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:McCullum Creek
Description:Flows westward to Northfork just south of Lamar. It was named for a family who lived along its course. (H.C. Chancellor; J.S. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Midway (earlier Coon Creek, q.v.; finally Dublin, q.v.)
Description:As Carthage and Lamar became prosperous towns, Coon Creek took on the name of Midway because of its position with reference to these towns. (E.L. Moore; Bert Webb)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Milford
Description:On November 15, 1869, Charles Milford Wilcox laid out the town site and gave the place his middle name. (Eaton (28), p. 207; E.L. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Milford School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Milford Township
Description:Milford Township was named for the town of that name. (E.L. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Minden (later Mindenmines, q.v.)
Description:The town was laid out by Captain J.R. Tucker, March 19, 1883. There are many Germans in this neighborhood, and it is quite likely that they brought the name with them. Minden, a city in Prussia, is about forty miles west of Hanover. (Eaton (28), p. 207; H.C. Chancellor)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Minden School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mindenmines (earlier Minden, q.v.)
Description:Soon after the town of Minden was laid out its name was changed to Mindenmines because the mail got mixed with that of Mendon in Chariton County. The suffix was added because the chief occupation of the local inhabitants was coal mining. (H.C. Chancellor)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Montrose School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Morerod
Description:A little coal camp opened by Keith and Perry of Kansas City about 1880. It was named for a local landowner, E.R. Morerod. (H.C. Chancellor; J.S. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Morris Grove School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Mount Carmel School
Description:A transferred name from the Bible or a church.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Muddy Creek (also North Fork of Spring River q.v.)
Description:Muddy Creek is the same as North Fork of Spring River. It drains a section of flat, mucky land and is therefore muddy almost all the time. For this reason it was named Muddy Creek in early days. (H.H. Howard; Bert Webb)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Nashville
Description:Laid out by Thomas and Squire Baker, January 28, 1869, and was named for Nashville, Tennessee. (Eaton (28), p. 207)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Nashville Center
Description:Was laid out one mile south of old Nashville (q.v.), and probably inherited its name. (C.D. Goodrum; C. Snip)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Nashville School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Nashville Township
Description:Was named for the town of Nashville within its boundaries. (E.L. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Newport (earlier Horse Creek, q.v.)
Description:Laid out June 24, 1874, by Miles Boord, the owner of the land. Very likely the name came from one of the other twenty-five Newports in the United States. (Eaton (28), p. 207; Missouri (16), p. 544)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Newport School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Newport Township
Description:Named for the town of Newport (q.v.), which lies within its boundaries. (E.L. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:North Fork of Spring River (also Muddy Creek, q.v.)
Description:North Fork of Spring River was so named because it is a north tributary of Spring River. It is also known as Muddy Creek, especially in its upper course. (E.L. Moore; H.H. Howard)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:North Star School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Northfork Township
Description:Named for the Spring River tributary known as North Fork (q.v.). (E.L. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Oak Grove (later Oakton, q.v.)
Description:A trading-point and post office, got its name from a beautiful grove of oaks in which it was located. It was changed to Oakton in 1895. (C.D. Goodrum; C. Snip)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Oak Grove School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Oakton (earlier Oak Grove, q.v.)
Description:The post office at Oak Grove had to be changed in 1895 because there was another Missouri post office by that name. The name was simply altered to retain the old idea under another form. (C.D. Goodrum; C. Snip)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Oakton School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Oskaloosa
Description:An old trading-point near the place where the Frisco crosses the Missouri-Kansas line. It was named by people from Oskaloosa, Iowa, for their old hometown. (Mrs. C. Snip)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Oskaloosa School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Ozark School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Ozark Township
Description:Named for the Ozark Hills not far away. (C.D. Goodrum)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Patten Branch
Description:Patten Branch, which flows into Horse Creek, was named for a local family, who owned land along its course. (H.C. Chancellor)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pedro
Description:The railroad company gave this name to the station at Liberal (q.v.) and printed it this way for a few years. The "town" never did bear the name. The source of the name is unknown. (C.D. Goodrum; Missouri (16), p. 541-542)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pettis Creek
Description:Was named for Allen Petty, who was an early settler and judge of the county court. The present spelling is a confusion of the possessive form of "Petty's Creek." (C.D. Goodrum; E.L. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pleasant Hill School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pleasant Valley School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Pleasant View School (2)
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Prairie Bell School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Prairie Chapel School
Description:A transferred name from the Bible or a church.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Prairie Home School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Prairie Rose School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Prairie Star School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Prairie View School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Richland Township
Description:Named from the quality of its soil, which is the best in the county. (C.D. Goodrum; C. Snip)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Rockdale School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Rocky Mound School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Rose Branch School
Description:A transferred name from a stream.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Round Prairie School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Shapley School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Shiloh School
Description:A transferred name from the Bible or a church.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Southwest School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Southwest Township
Description:Was so named because of its position in the county. (C.D. Goodrum)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Star Valley School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Stone School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Summit Post Office
Description:Located on a high point in the hills along Horse Creek. It was named for its location. (C.D. Goodrum; E.L. Moore)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Summit School
Description:A transferred name from a town or township.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Triumph School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Union School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Union Township
Description:This township was named Union because of the union of parts of two townships to make the new one. (C. Snip; C.D. Goodrum)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Valley School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Verdella Post Office
Description:This is probably a feminine Christian name, like Iantha. It is not uncommon in Southwest Missouri. (C.D. Goodrum; C. Snip)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Victory School (2)
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:West Point School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:West Star School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:West Union School
Description:Named for its location.
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Westfork
Description:Rises near Iantha and empties into Northfork. It was named for its position. (H.C. Chancellor)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Place name:Wise
Description:A post office established soon after the Civil War, was named for a resident. (C.D. Goodrum; J.S. Allen)
Source:Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names