Barry County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Arbuckle Hill
Description:A hill named for Washington Arbuckle who lived on the hill about 1900. (Charlie Sills; Mrs. Chas. Sills)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Archibald School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Arnhardt School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ash Township
Description:A township formed out of Sugar Creek Township July, 1870; named for a Mr. Ash of the community. (W.F. Sallee; Mrs. Manley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ash's Mill
Description:An old mill, long since torn down, one and a half miles from Seligman which was named for an early family of Ashes who operated the mill about 1840. (W.F. Sallee)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Barry City (earlier and later Butterfield)
Description:A town named for the county; earlier Butterfield and called Barry City only a short time about 1914. (John Moore; M.C. Gurley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Barry County
Description:Organized January 5, 1835; named in honor of William T. Barry of Kentucky, a member of President Jackson's cabinet and Postmaster General 1829-1835, the first appointment to that office. Died August 30, 1835, in Liverpool, while Minister to Spain. (J.H. Thomas; Eaton (46) I p. 205)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bethel School
Description:A transferred name from churches, hollows, prairies, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Big Branch
Description:A stream which takes its name from its size. (W.T. Sallee; Jake Davis)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Big Flat Creek
Description:The larger Flat Creek which derives its name from the character of the surrounding land near the source. (J.H. Thomas, Mrs. C.D. Manley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Black School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Blockade Hollow
Description:A hollow between Seligman and Washburn, which was the scene of a blockade by Pierce during the Civil War. Pierce, on his way to Pea Ridge, thus delayed the Union forces and so gained time to reach Pea Ridge. (Mrs. C.D. Manley, Charlie Sills)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bowen Spring
Description:A spring on Shoal Creek named for an early family, who lived there early in the 19th century. (W.T. Sallee)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bricefield (later Pulaskifield)
Description:A post office established in 1894 and discontinued in 1902; named for J. Brice Hudson whose father owned the land on which the post office was established. (Mrs. C.W. Hadley, Mrs. F. Jones, Mrs. J.W. Hisey)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bright Spring
Description:A spring named for O.P. Bright, who owned the land upon which it was located. (J.S. Davis, W.T. Sallee)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brixy Hollow
Description:A hollow named for Jim Brixy who lived there the latter part of the 19th century. (Charles Sills, Mrs. Charles Sills)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brock School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Butler's Creek
Description:A creek named for a pioneer family of Butlers who settled on the banks of the creek about 1850. (H.S. Montgomery, J.P. Saunders)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Butterfield (earlier and later Barry City)
Description:A town plotted for George Readman, of Edinburgh, Scotland, and acknowledged in the office of the Sheriff of Perthshire, September 14, 1883. He named the town for Fredrick Butterfield, an officer of the Frisco Railroad Company. (J.H. Thomas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Butterfield School
Description:A transferred name from a town, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Capp's Creek
Description:A creek named for the pioneer family of Capps who lived on its banks. (Jake Davis; J.H. Thomas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Capps Creek Township
Description:A township formed in 1845 and named for the creek which runs through the township. (Mrs. C.D. Manley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Carney School
Description:A transferred name from a stream or spring.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Carney's Branch
Description:Named for the family of Thomas Carney who settled on its banks in 1842. (John Moore; Mrs. C.D. Manley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Carter School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cassville
Description:Under act of February 1, 1839, commissioners were appointed to locate a permanent seat of justice; however, it was not until June, 1845 that the court decided upon the present site and commissioners were appointed and ordered to survey and plot a town by the name of Cassville. The county court named the town in honor of Lewis Cass (1782-1866), elected Senator in that year. (W.T. Sallee; J.H. Thomas; Eaton (46), p. 206)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cassville School
Description:A transferred name from a town, township, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cato
Description:A post office established in 1894 and named by Christopher Snider, the first postmaster, for an old friendly Indian who was left by his tribe on Saline Creek. (J.T. Davis; Eaton (46) V, p. 206)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cedar Bluff School
Description:A transferred name from churches, hollows, prairies, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cedar Mound School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Center School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Central School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Chapman School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Clark School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Clay Hill School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Clement's Mill
Description:A mill, since torn down, near Washburn, owned and operated by B.B. Clement as early as 1845. (J.H. Thomas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Clio School
Description:A transferred name from a town, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Corsicana (earlier Gadfly)
Description:Name was changed January, 1870 on petition presented by John B. Fly and Dr. George F. Perry and named by Dr. Perry for Corsicana, his former home in New York. (J.S. Davis; W.T. Sallee)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Corsicana School
Description:A transferred name from a town, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:County Hollow
Description:A hollow which was named for the County Road which ran past the hollow. (Mrs. F. Jones; Mrs. J.W. Hisey)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cowskin River (also Elk River)
Description:A tributary of Beaver Creek which was named during the early part of the 19th century. The story goes that an early settler had a large herd of cattle grazing on the banks of the creek. They contracted a disease and thirty or forty of them died. He skinned them and laid the skins on the bank to dry. Since this incident it has been called Cowskin. (1) However, Sturges tells us that the river was christened by a Catholic priest when a buffalo cow was killed there, and the skin made into a robe. The name was retained until recent years. (2) (1. T.A. Kay; W.F. Reynolds; 2. R (Sturges) (20), p. 9)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Crane Creek Township
Description:A township established March, 1848, and named for Crane Creek which ran through the township. Part of the original township has since been cut off and is now in Stone County; however, a section remains and retains the old name. (W.T. Sallee; M.C. Gurley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cross Hollow
Description:A hollow so named because two hollows seem to cross to form one. (Mrs. F. Jones; J.H. Thomas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cross Hollows School
Description:A transferred name from churches, hollows, prairies, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Devil's Kitchen
Description:A cave on the side of Arbuckle Hill which was named during the Civil War by people of the community because soldiers of Both Union and Confederate armies stayed there and were fed there at various times. (Charlie Sills; Mrs. Charlie Sills)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Devil's Washpan
Description:A sinkhole which resembles a washpan and was jestingly dubbed Devil's Washpan. (Charlie Sills; Mrs. Charlie Sills)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dodge Hollow
Description:A hollow named for the family of Sam Dodge who lived there about 1850. (John Moore)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dog Hollow
Description:A hollow southeast of Purdy named for the many dogs of the fox hunters who lived there prior to the Civil War. (W.F. Bayless; John Miller; J.P. Balmos)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Doss School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Eagle Rock
Description:A post office established in 1887; named for a rock nearby upon which an eagle built its nest. (Mrs. C.D. Manley; Mrs. Hisey)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Eagle Rock School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Eden School
Description:A naming approbation.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elk River (also Cowskin)
Description:The name of the river was said to have been changed from Cowskin to Elk by the legislature at the request of a local man, Steve Elkins, when he was representative. (1) However, several old settlers declare that it was named for the elks which roamed there. The creek still goes by both names. (2) (1. (R); 2. W.F. Reynolds; Ed Dobbs)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elk River (also Cowskin)
Description:The name of the river was said to have been changed from Cowskin to Elk by the legislature at the request of a local man, Steve Elkins, when he was representative. (1) However, several old settlers declare that it was named for the elks which roamed there. The creek still goes by both names. (2) (1. (R); 2. W.F. Reynolds; Ed Dobbs) [August 30, 1990. Returned by geography student. Could not document name of Elk River. Barry and McDonald touch, but Douglas is several counties away?]
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elk River (also Cowskin)
Description:The name of the river was said to have been changed from Cowskin to Elk by the legislature at the request of a local man, Steve Elkins, when he was a representative. (1) However, several old settlers declare that it was named for the elks which roamed there. The creek still goes by both names. (2) (1. (R); 2. W.F. Reynolds, Ed Dobbs)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Eureka School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Exeter
Description:A town laid out by George A. Purdy, September 29, 1880; named for Exeter, England. (John Moore; J.H. Thomas; Eaton (46), p. 206)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Exeter School
Description:A transferred name from a town, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fairview School
Description:A naming approbation.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fawver's Mill
Description:A mill one mile southwest of Seligman on Sugar Creek, owned and operated by the Fawver family soon after the Civil War. (John Moore; Mrs. F. Jones)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Flat Creek
Description:A creek so named by early settlers because of the character of the land through which it ran. (John Moore; G.C. Gurley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Flat Creek Township
Description:A township established in March, 1844, and named for the creek which runs through the township. (John Moore; G.C. Gurley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Forest Green School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gadfly (later Corsicana)
Description:A community nicknamed Gadfly because of numerous families of the name of Fly who lived there and were jestingly said to be forever "gadding" about. (J.S. Davis; J.H. Thomas; John Moore)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gadfly Mill
Description:A mill in the old settlement of Gadfly. (W.T. Sallee; J.H. Hivey)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gladdis School
Description:A transferred name from a town, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Golden
Description:An old post office established about 1860 and perhaps named for a family. (John Moore)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Golden School
Description:A transferred name from a town, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gooden Hollow
Description:A hollow in the eastern part of the county named for the family of Jim Gooden who lived there about 1860. (J.H. Thomas; Jno. Moore)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Greasy Creek
Description:A creek so named because of the greasy scum that is found on the water, apparently an oil seepage. (J.H. Thomas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Green Ridge School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gunter Creek
Description:A creek named for the Gunter family who lived on the banks of the creek about 1855. (J.H. Hivey; H.S. Montgomery)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gunter School (Consolidated No. 8)
Description:A transferred name from a stream spring.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hailey
Description:A post office which appears as early as 1886 in the Postal Guide; was named for N.L. Hailey, its first postmaster. (Eaton (46) I, p. 206)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hailey School
Description:A transferred name from a town, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Harrel School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hayes Branch
Description:A small stream in the western part of the county which was named for the Hayes family who settled there about 1850. (Jno. Moore; M.C. Gurley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hayes Hollow
Description:A hollow named for the Hayes family who lived there early in the history of the county. (W.T. Sallee; J.H. Davis)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hayes Spring
Description:A spring which derived its name from the family who owned the land upon which the spring was located. (J.H. Davis; E.N. Meadow)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hazel Dell School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hemneman School
Description:An unsolved name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Herdsville
Description:An early post office established before the Civil War and named for Adam Herd who lived there early in the 19th century. (W.T. Sallee; Jno. Moore)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hickam's Prairie
Description:A prairie, near Golden, named for Jacob Hickam who settled there in 1830. (W.F. Sallee; Mrs. Hisey)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hickory Grove School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hodo Mineral Springs (later Seven Stars)
Description:A group of springs named for a homesteader who settled nearby and gained fame for the springs by declaring that an infected leg had been cured by its waters. (Amos Williams; Jno. Moore)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Horner School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:House School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hudson School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Independence School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:J.J. Davis Mill
Description:A mill on Roaring River named for the man who owned and operated it soon after the Civil War. (J.H. Thomas; J.P. Saunders)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jenkin's Creek
Description:A creek named for an early settler, Jenkins, who lived on its bank early in the 19th century. (J.H. Thomas; Jno. Moore)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jenkins School
Description:A transferred name from a stream or spring.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Johnson School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Joy's Creek
Description:A creek named for an old settler who lived on its banks the first quarter of the 19th century. (J.S. Davis; J.H. Thomas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Keetsville (later Washburn)
Description:A community named for Josiah T. Keet who lived there. (J.H. Thomas; J.S. Davis; S.T. Clutter)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:King's Prairie
Description:A prairie settled first by George W. King in 1830 and named for him. (J.H. Thomas; T.C. Bassore)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Kings Prairie School
Description:A transferred name from a town, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:King's River
Description:A stream named for an early family who settled on its banks. (Mrs. C.D. Manley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Layton Hollow
Description:A hollow named for the Layton family, early pioneers of the county, who settled there. (J.H. Thomas; J.S. Davis)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Leann (earlier Marmaduke)
Description:A post office reestablished in 1891 and the name changed to Leann by the former postmaster, John S. Thomas, who had established the post office under the name of Marmaduke. There was a change in political power and Mr. Thomas being given the privilege of choosing the name, named it Leann for his wife. (J.H. Thomas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Leann School
Description:A transferred name from a town, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lee School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Liberty Township
Description:A township formed December, 1858 and named for patriotic reasons. (J.H. Thomas; Jno. Moore)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Line School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lohmarsburg
Description:A post office established in 1892 and discontinued between 1904-1910; named for Judge Henry Lohmar, a German who lived in that community. (Mrs. C.D. Manley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lone Elm School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lone Hill School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lone Walnut School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Madry
Description:A post office established in 1893 and named for Dr. A.H. Madry, who owned the land on which the store and post office were located. (J.H. Thomas; John Moore)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mano
Description:A post office established in 1891 by Sam Gilmore. (J.H. Thomas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mano School
Description:A transferred name from a town, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Maple Grove School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mars Hill School
Description:A transferred name from churches, hollows, prairies, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mayflower
Description:A post office established in 1888 and discontinued about 1895 which took its name from the vessel that brought over the "Pilgrim Fathers." (J.H. Thomas; Eaton (46) I, p. 206)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:McCandless School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:McDonald
Description:Town plotted in 1841 and the county seat for only a short while; named for a local family of McDonalds. (J.H. Thomas; W.T. Sallee)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:McDonald Township
Description:A township established in 1840 and named for the McDonald Community, and family. (Jno. Moore; H.S. Montgomery)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:McDowell School
Description:A transferred name from a town, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:McDowell Village
Description:An early village which ceased to exist April 18, 1880, when a torrent swept it out of existence. However, it was reestablished by Marion P. Griffith and continued until 1925. The town took its name from a family of McDowells who lived there. (Jno. Moore; J.H. Thomas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:McMurtry Spring
Description:The head of Flat Creek which was named for the family of McMurtrys, who owned the land upon which the spring was located. (Mrs. F. Jones; Mrs. J.W. Hisey)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:McQuire School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mike's Creek
Description:A creek in the eastern part of the county named for "old man" Mike, an early pioneer who lived on its banks. (1) However, Sturges says that the creek is named from one Phillip Michael, who located on the creek-bank about 1857. (2) (1. J.S. Davis, W.T. Sallee; 2. R (Sturges (20), p. 3)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mineral Spring
Description:A spring named for the character of its water. (Eaton (44) I, p. 206)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mineral Springs (earlier Panacea)
Description:A town surveyed August 17, 1888 and named for the mineral springs nearby. (W.F. Sallee; Mrs. C.D. Manley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mineral Springs School
Description:A transferred name from a stream or spring.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Monett (earlier Plymouth Junction)
Description:Surveyed by F.W. Bond, for Monett Townsite Company, September 12, 1887, and named for the general passenger agent of the N.Y. Central Railroad. (Mrs. C.D. Manley; W.T. Sallee)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Monett School
Description:A transferred name from a town, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mount Pleasant Township
Description:One of the original townships, established February 17, 1835 and named for an early church organization. (W.T. Sallee; H.S. Montgomery)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mountain Township
Description:A township in the eastern part of the county established June, 1846 and named for the character of the topography. (Jno. Moore; W.T. Sallee)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mt. Sinai School
Description:A transferred name from churches, hollows, prairies, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Muncey School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Muncey Township
Description:An early township, since disorganized, formed February, 1867 and named for a family of Munceys who lived in the community. (J.S. Davis; Mrs. C.D. Manley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:O.K. School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oak Grove School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:O'Day
Description:A post office established in 1888 and discontinued in 1892; named for John O'Day, a railroad attorney. (J.S. Davis; Mrs. C.D. Manley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oklahoma School
Description:A transferred name from a town, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oliver's Prairie
Description:A prairie named for a family of Olivers, who settled there early in the 19th century. (W.T. Sallee; Mrs. Mary Manley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Osa
Description:A post office, established in 1894 and discontinued between 1904-1910; probably from the Christian name of some person, though no one seems to know definitely. (J.S. Davis; W.T. Sallee)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Osa School
Description:A transferred name from a town, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Owl Creek
Description:A small creek in the southwestern part of the county which derives its name from the many hoot owls found in the vicinity. (J.H. Hivey; H.S. Montgomery)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ozark School
Description:A transferred name from a town, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ozark Township
Description:A township established in November, 1840 from territory detached from Smith Township and named for the Ozark Mountains. (Mrs. F. Jones; W.T. Sallee)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Painter Branch
Description:A creek which was named, it is generally agreed, for a family of Will Painter who lived on its banks. However, it may have also been named for the panthers which were so common in this section (painter is a dialect pronunciation of panther). (Jno. Moore; W.F. Sallee; J.H. Thomas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Panacea (later Mineral Springs)
Description:A post office which appears in 1886 in the Postal Guide and was discontinued in 1888; named for the curative character of the spring. (Postal Guide 1886; J.S. Davis; J.H. Thomas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pasley School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Piburn Hollow
Description:A hollow named for the Piburn family who lived there. (Charlie Sills; Mrs. Charlie Sills)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pine Grove School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pine Hollow
Description:A hollow on Roaring River which is named for the many pines which grow there. (Charlie Sills; Mrs. Charlie Sills)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pioneer
Description:A town surveyed for L.E. Pritchett and named by him in honor of all early settlers. (J.S. Davis; Mrs. C.D. Manley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pioneer School
Description:A transferred name from a town, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Dale School
Description:A naming approbation.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Ridge School
Description:A naming approbation.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Ridge Township
Description:A township established May 4, 1887 out of King's Prairie Township and named because of its attractive location upon a ridge. (Mrs. C.D. Manley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Valley School
Description:A naming approbation.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pogue's Creek
Description:A creek named for an early pioneer, Marion Pogue, who located on its banks during the early part of the 19th century. (Charlie Sills; Jno. Moore; Mrs. C.D. Manley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pogue's Mill
Description:A mill on Pogue's Creek which takes its name from Will Pogue who owned and operated it. (J.H. Thomas; Jno. Moore)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pulaskified (earlier Bricefield)
Description:A community of Polish settlers which takes its name from the famous Polish soldier, Count Pulaski of Revolutionary fame. (Mrs. C.W. Hadley; Mrs. F. Jones)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Purdy
Description:A town plotted in 1880 and named for an enterprising citizen, George A. Purdy, a railroad official and real estate agent. (Jno. Moore; J.H. Thomas; Eaton (46) I, p. 207)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Purdy School
Description:A transferred name from a town, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Quaker School
Description:An unsolved name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ridgely
Description:A community so named because of its location on a ridge. (W.T. Sallee; J.S. Davis)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ridgely School
Description:A transferred name from a town, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Roach School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Roaring River [1 of 2]
Description:The first settlement was made in 1876 by Charles Hadock and named for the stream upon whose banks it was located. (Charlie Sills; Jno. Moore)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Roaring River [2 of 2]
Description:A river so named by early settlers because of the rush of water from the cave at its source. (Charlie Sills; Mrs. C.D. Manley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Roaring River Hill
Description:A hill which derives its name from the river which flows nearby. (Charlie Sills; Mrs. Charlie Sills)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Roaring River Mill
Description:A mill built on the banks of Roaring River about 1860 and named for the stream. (W.T. Sallee; Chas. Sills)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Roaring River School
Description:A transferred name from a stream or spring.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Roaring River Township
Description:A township named for the stream which runs through it. (Charlie Sills; Jno. Moore)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Roark
Description:A post office established in 1889 and discontinued between 1910-1915; named for the Roark family who lived in the community. (Mrs. W.D. Hadley; Mrs. C.D. Manley; J.H. Thomas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rock Creek
Description:A creek east of Cassville named because the bed was so rocky. (Mrs. C.D. Manley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rock Creek School
Description:A transferred name from a stream or spring.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rock House Cave
Description:A cave explored in 1871 and named for its large rooms, and general resemblance to a house. (Jno. Moore; J.S. Davis)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rock House Creek
Description:A tributary of Flat Creek which takes its name from the cave upon its banks. (Mrs. C.D. Manley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rock Springs School
Description:A transferred name from a stream or spring.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Roller's Ridge
Description:A ridge named for Jacob Roller who owned the land and lived upon it about 1840. (J.H. Thomas; J.S. Davis)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rose Hill School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Round Prairie
Description:A prairie so named because it is a round bare place fringed with timber. (J.S. Davis; Charlie Sills)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:S(h)ugar Creek Township
Description:A township established February 16, 1835 and named for Sugar Creek, which runs through the township. "Shugar" is the old spelling of the word. (Charlie Sills; Amos Williams)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Scholten
Description:A post office established in 1888 and discontinued between 1918-1921; named for the Scholten family of that community. (Mrs. Charlie Sills; Charlie Sills)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Schotten School
Description:A transferred name from a town, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Seligman
Description:A town platted in 1880 and named in honor of Mrs. Seligman, the wife of a banker, who made a gift for building a church at this place, according to Eaton. However, according to Mr. Davis it was named for an official of the Frisco Railroad. (Eaton (46) I, p. 207; J.S. Davis)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Seligman School
Description:A transferred name from a town, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Seven Star Springs
Description:A town platted in 1881 and named for the springs nearby. (Goodspeed (19), p. 685; W.T. Sallee)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Seven Star Springs (also Hodo Mineral Springs)
Description:Springs so called from their being seven basins ranged like seven stars. (W.T. Sallee; J.H. Thomas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Seven Stars School
Description:A transferred name from a town, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Shady Grove School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Shell Knob
Description:According to Eaton, a knob so named because of the numerous fossil casts found in a nearby mound. However, it is also said that it was named for a Mr. Shell who lived on the knob. (Eaton (45), p. 207; J.P. Saunders)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Shell Knob School
Description:A transferred name from a town, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Shoal Creek [1 of 2]
Description:A creek which was named by early hunters and trappers for the numerous shoals that were found in the creek. (J.S. Davis; J.H. Thomas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Shoal Creek [2 of 2]
Description:A post office established in 1891 and discontinued in 1893; named for the creek on whose banks the post office is located. (W.T. Sallee; M.C. Gurley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Shoal Creek Township
Description:A township formed August, 1842 and named for Shoal Creek which flows through the township. (J.S. Davis; J.H. Thomas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sparks School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Spooky Hollow
Description:A hollow which is said to be haunted by the spirits of two Civil War soldiers who are buried there. (T.J. Priddy; J.P. Balmos)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Stansberry Hollow
Description:A hollow named for the family of Stansberrys who lived there about 1860. (Charlie Sills; W.T. Sallee)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Star School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sugar Creek
Description:A creek which was named for the numerous sugar maple trees which grew on its banks early in the 19th century. (J.H. Thomas; Mrs. C.D. Manley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Swindle Cottage School
Description:A transferred name from churches, hollows, prairies, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Talbert School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tan Yard Hollow (also Hungry)
Description:A hollow named for the tan yard which was in it. (J.P. Saunders; J.H. Thomas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Thomas Hollow
Description:A hollow named for the Thomas family who lived there during the early history of the county. (Jake Davis; W.T. Sallee)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Traverse
Description:A post office, established in 1891 and discontinued in 1894; named for O.H. Traverse, a politician of Springfield at that time. (J.S. Davis; W.T. Sallee)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Trent's Creek
Description:A creek named for the Trents, an early family of the county who settled on the banks of the creek. (Amos Williams; J.H. Thomas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Tuck Hollow
Description:A hollow named for the family of Will Tuck who lived there. (Amos Williams; J.S. Davis)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Union Valley School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Vanzant School
Description:A local family name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Victor School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Victory School
Description:An ideal name.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Vine Hill School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Viola
Description:A post office established in 1894 and discontinued between 1918 and 1921. Named for some girl of the community. (Postal Guide; Jake Davis; W.T. Sallee)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Viola School
Description:A transferred name from a town, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Walnut Grove School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Walnut Spring
Description:A spring near Cassville which was named for the walnut tree shadowing the spring. (W.T. Sallee; W.A. Lloyd)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Washburn (earlier Keetsville)
Description:An old community settled in 1840 and named for Samuel Washburn, a pioneer who settled Washburn's Prairie in 1828. (Eaton (46) I, p. 207; J.H. Thomas)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Washburn Prairie
Description:A prairie settled in 1829 by Samuel Washburn and named for him. (J.S. Davis; J.H. Thomas; Eaton (46) p. 207)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Washburn Prairie School
Description:A transferred name from churches, hollows, prairies, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Washburn School
Description:A transferred name from a town, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wayne School
Description:A transferred name from a town, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wheaton School
Description:A transferred name from a town, post office, etc.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:White Oak School
Description:A name of situation or direction.
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:White River Township
Description:A township detached from Sugar Creek Township May, 1841 and named for White River, which flows through the township. (J.S. Davis; Mrs. C.D. Manley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wildcat Hollow
Description:A hollow near Roaring River named for the wildcats which had a den in the hollow. (Charlie Sills; Mrs. Charlie Sills)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Winslow (also Purdy)
Description:A town surveyed by George Parrish in October, 1880 for Henry Bass and probably named for the Winslow family of that community. This is now known as Purdy and was known as Winslow only a short time. (Jno. Moore; W.C. Gurley)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Woodward Creek
Description:A creek named for the family of Jeff Woodward who lived on its banks. (E.N. Meadow; J.P. Saunders)
Source:Bell, Margaret E. "Place Names In The Southwest Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names