Audrain County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Allen Creek
Description:In Saling Township, Audrain County, and Union Township, Monroe County, a branch of Elk Fork of Salt River. Named for Charles Allen, emigrant from Kentucky in 1831, landowner. Also known as Reese's Fork, for a pioneer settler near the head. (Campbell, 47; W.H. Carpenter, T.J. Hawkins)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Appleman's Chapel Methodist Church
Description:In Saling Township. Named for William Appleman, settler from Ohio, who donated the land and promoted the erection of the building. (T.J. Hawkins, John Turner)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Audrain County
Description:Originally a part of St. Charles County and later of Pike County. Bounded on the north by Monroe and Ralls Counties; on the east by Pike and Montgomery; on the south by Montgomery, Callaway, and Boone; and on the west by Boone and Randolph. The boundaries were designated by an act of the state legislature on January 12, 1831, the county to be organized as soon as the population was such as to justify an organization and to be named Audrain for James H. Audrain, pioneer of St. Charles County and member of the state legislature of the Eighth District (Lincoln and St. Charles Counties) from 1830 until his death on November 10, 1831. The county was organized on December 17, 1836. (HIST. AUDRAIN, 95-6, State Laws, First Session of Sixth General Assembly, 1830-1831, 20, State Laws First Session of Ninth General Assembly, 1836- 1837, 44-45; Nesbit Livingston, William Vivion)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Barneyville
Description:A discontinued post office in Cuivre Township. Laid out as a town by the owner of the site, Timothy Barney from Pennsylvania, and named for him. Nothing developed here. (Campbell, 49; Nesbit Livingston, E.A. Shannon)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Beagles School
Description:In Prairie Township. Named for James Beagles, prominent in the district. (S.P. Emmons)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bean Creek
Description:In Salt River and Prairie Townships, a branch of Salt River. Named for a pioneer settler. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1918; J.S. Jesse, John Turner)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bean Creek Baptist Church
Description:In northern Salt River Township. Named from its location on Bean Creek (q.v.). Now defunct. (J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bean Creek Lutheran Church
Description:In Prairie Township, near Bean Creek (q.v.), from which it takes its name. (J.S. Jesse, William Vivion)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bean Creek School
Description:In Prairie Township. Named from its location on Bean Creek (q.v.). (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Beaver Creek
Description:See Beaver Dam Creek.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Beaver Dam Baptist Church
Description:In the southwestern part of Salt Creek Township. Organized in 1880 and named from the creek on which it is located (q.v.). (J.S. Jesse, William Vivion)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Beaver Dam Creek
Description:In Salt River Township, flowing east and then north, joining South Fork of Salt River near Mexico. So named because in early days beavers built a dam across it. Beaver Creek on AUDRAIN ATLAS 1918. (Eaton, 204; HIST. OF AUDRAIN, 406; E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Beaver Dam Presbyterian Church
Description:In southern Salt River Township. Named from its location on Beaver Dam Creek (q.v.). It is now defunct. (J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Beaver Dam School
Description:In Salt River Township. Named from its location near Beaver Dam Creek (q.v.). (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Benton City
Description:A town in northwestern Loutre Township, east of Mexico. Named in June, 1881, for Thomas H. Benton (1782-1858), United States senator from Missouri for thirty consecutive years (1820-1850). Originally known as Jefftown for Jefferson F. Jones, who resided nearby in Callaway County and was instrumental in the building of the railroad through here. Jeffstown in Goodwin's GAZETTEER, 22. (HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, I, 229, PLAT BOOK NO. 1; C.B. Kennan, William Vivion)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Berea Baptist Church
Description:In northeastern Salt River Township. Now defunct, but was one of the oldest churches in the county. A Bible name (ACTS 17:10), a city of Macedonia, where Paul preached. (J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bethel Methodist Church
Description:In southwestern Salt River Township. See above. (J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bethel Presbyterian Church
Description:In northwestern Prairie Township, northeast of Mexico. See above. (HIST. AUDRAIN, 409; J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bethlehem Baptist Church
Description:In northeastern Wilson Township. Organized in 1867. Named for the birthplace of Jesus (Mat. 2:1), the name meaning "house of bread." (HIST. AUDRAIN, 404; J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bethlehem Presbyterian Church
Description:In Wilson Township; now defunct. See above. Known locally as Skull Lick Church, from its location on the creek (q.v.). (HIST. AUDRAIN, 415; J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Big Branch
Description:In Wilson Township, a tributary of Skull Lick Creek. A name descriptive of its size only in comparison with other creeks in the neighborhood. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1877; William Vivion)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Black School
Description:In Cuivre Township, named for an early settler. (O.M. Montague)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Blue's Store
Description:See Littleby Post Office.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Boat Creek
Description:A small tributary of Judah Creek, in northwestern Saling Township. Named on a single atlas; unknown to persons interviewed. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1918)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Botts School
Description:In Prairie Township. Named for Thomas Botts, prominent in the district and county. (S.P. Emmons)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Boyd School
Description:In Cuivre Township. Named for John Boyd of the district. (O.M. Montague)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brushy Branch
Description:In Salt River Township, a short branch of Beaver Dam Creek southeast of Mexico. The banks were once brushy but are now cleared off. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1918; William Vivion)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Brushy Creek
Description:In Salt River Township, a branch of Skull Lick Creek northwest of Mexico. There is much brush along the banks. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1918; J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bryan School
Description:In Salt River Township. Named for Captain Bryan, a Mississippi River steamboat captain, who owned the farm. (J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Burk School
Description:In Wilson Township. Named for Reed Burk, a large landowner of the district. (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Burlington Lake
Description:See Lake La Kota.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Burnham School
Description:In Saling Township. Named for a family of the district. (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bush's
Description:A railroad station in Wilson Township, between Thompson and Modoc. Named only on a map of 1886.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Bynum Creek
Description:See Seven Mile Creek.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Canada School
Description:In Saling Township. Named for J.H. Canada, on whose farm it was located. (S.P. Emmons, J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Carroll
Description:A coal mine and store on the Chicago and Atchison Railroad in Cuivre Township. Named for the owner of the land on which it is located. Also known locally as Midway, from its middle position between Vandalia and Farber. (RAND MCNALLY ATLAS; C.B. Kennan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Carter School
Description:In Salt River Township. So named because it was located on Alexander Carter's farm. (J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cauthorn School
Description:In Linn Township. Named for Columbus Cauthorn of the district. (S.P. Emmons)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cedar Creek
Description:Heads in southwestern Wilson Township and forms the border of Boone and Callaway Counties. So named because of the abundant growth of cedar along the bank near the mouth. (COLUMBIA DAILY TRIBUNE, Dec. 14, 1914, p. 2-3, Beck 266; J.S. Jesse, E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cedar Grove School
Description:In Salt River Township. The name is descriptive of the location. (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Central School
Description:In Wilson Township. Named from its location half-way between Mexico and Paris. (J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Central Union Church
Description:In Cuivre Township. The building serves two congregations, the Christian and the Presbyterian; hence the name. (J.D. Greer, J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Champ
Description:A post office in Salt River Township, established in 1895 and discontinued in 1901. Named for Champ Clark (1850-1921), at that time a promising politician and member of the House of Representatives. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1898, C.B. Kennan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cornett School
Description:In Cuivre Township. Named for William W. Cornett of the district. (J.S. Jesse, O.M. Montague)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Crane School
Description:In Loutre Township. Named for H.L. Crane of the district. (J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Crow School
Description:In Cuivre Township. Named for the man on whose land it was located. (C.B. Kennan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cuivre
Description:A post office in Cuivre Township, established in 1895 and discontinued in 1902. Named from Cuivre Creek (q.v.), on which it was located. (J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cuivre Creek
Description:A small stream in southeastern Audrain County, crossing into Prairie Township, Montgomery County, where it joins West Fork of Cuivre River (q.v.), from which it gets its name. Spelt Cuiver on AUDRAIN ATLAS, 1877. (J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Cuivre Township
Description:In the eastern part of the county. Derives its name from Cuivre Creek (q.v.) which runs through the southern part of it. It is not one of the original townships. (Eaton, 205, HIST. OF N.E. MISSOURI I, 191n)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Culwell School
Description:In Cuivre Township. Named for Herman Culwell, on whose farm it was located. (O.M. Montague, E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Daniel School
Description:In Wilson Township. Named for John M. Daniel, on whose farm it is located. Originally on the William Keeton farm and named for him. (S.P. Emmons, J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Davenport
Description:A discontinued post office in Saling Township. Named for the owner of the store in which it was established. (Postal Guide 1904; C.B. Kennan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Davis Fork
Description:In Wilson and Salt River Townships, a branch of South Fork of Salt River. Named for Robert Davis, pioneer settler here. Also named Henry's Fork in SOIL SURVEY OF MISSOURI, I, 494. (Campbell, 47; J.S. Jesse, E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Doan
Description:See Ortiz.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dolphin
Description:A station on the Chicago and Atchison Railroad in southwest Saling Township, used for loading railroad ties. Because the dolphin is a larger fish than the sturgeon, the name was chosen for this station, which offered to be a competitor of Sturgeon, Missouri, a short distance away. (J.B. Hubbard; T.D. Sayre)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Duly School
Description:In Salt River Township. Named for Hamilton Duly, pioneer of the district. (S.P. Emmons, J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dutch Academy
Description:See Sames School.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dutch School
Description:See Prairie Chapel School.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Dye School
Description:In Prairie Township. Named for J. Dye, on whose farm it was located. (S.P. Emmons)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:East Lick Creek
Description:In Cuivre and Prairie Townships, Audrain County, joining Lick Creek (q.v.) in Salt River Township, Ralls County. A name descriptive of the location. (ATLAS 1918)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:East Littleby Creek
Description:In Loutre and Linn Townships; the east fork of Littleby Creek (q.v.). (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1918; E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Eller School
Description:In Salt River Township. Named for Elias Eller, an early settler. (J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ellis School
Description:In Salt River Township. Named for Squire John Ellis, an early settler. (S.P. Emmons, J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elm Bend School
Description:In Prairie Township. So named because of its location on a curve of Elm Creek (q.v.). (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elm Creek
Description:A branch of Goodwater Creek, in Saling and Wilson Townships. Named from the many elms along the banks. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1876; John Turner)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Elm Creek
Description:Rises in the extreme northern part of Prairie Township, Audrain County and joins South Fork of Salt River in South Fork Township, Monroe County. See above. (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Erisman School
Description:In Linn Township. Named for the owner of the land on which it is located. (J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Eureka School
Description:In Linn Township. An ideal name, the Greek motto of Archimedes, meaning "I have found it."
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Excelsior School
Description:In Saling Township. An ideal name (Latin meaning "higher").
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fair Oaks
Description:A discontinued post office in northern Prairie Township. Named from the school (q.v.) nearby. Fair Oak on 1891 map. (J.L. Bomar, W.H. Carpenter)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fair Oaks School
Description:See Oak Grove School.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Farber
Description:A village in Cuivre Township on the Chicago and Atchison Railroad. Laid out in January, 1872, and named for Silas W. Farber from Alton, Illinois, who donated the town site. (Campbell, 49, PLAT BOOK NO. 1; C.B. Kennan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Felton
Description:See Francis.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fennewald School
Description:In Loutre Township. Named for four brothers, pioneers from Germany and large landowners in the district. (O.M. Montague, E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fischer School
Description:In Prairie Township. Named for Henry Fischer of the district. (S.P. Emmons)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fish Branch
Description:In Salt River Township, a tributary of South Fork of Salt River. Probably named by Meredith Meyers, who in 1841 came to the county and settled on the creek. In early days many fish were found in its waters, for a slight fall of the bed of the stream causes high waters from Salt River to be retained in it a long time. It is still a favorite spot of fishermen. (EATON, 204, HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, I, 186; J.S. Jesse, John Turner)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Five Mile Creek
Description:In northern Salt River Township, a branch of Young's Creek. The name is descriptive of its length. (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Flynt School
Description:In Wilson Township. Named for Judge J.C. Flynt, director for thirty-nine consecutive years. (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Fox School
Description:In Wilson Township. Named for J.W. Fox, pioneer. (Mrs. E.F. Elliott)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Francis
Description:A station on the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad at its junction with the Chicago and Atchison Railroad near Mexico, in Salt River Township. Named for David R. Francis (1850-1927), governor of the state from 1889 until 1893 and later prominent in national politics. Formerly named Felton, for Samuel Morse Felton, president of the Chicago and Atchison Railroad. The name was changed because it was frequently confused with Fulton, Callaway County. (MAP 1908; C.B. Kennan, E.M. Lawder)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Friendship Christian Church
Description:In Northern Saling Township. An ideal name. (J.D. Greer, J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Friendship Post Office
Description:In Saling Township, run by Dr. J.T. Hickerson. Named from Friendship Christian Church (q.v.), located across the road. A store and blacksmith shop were also located here. (T.J. Hawkins)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Friendship School
Description:In Saling Township. Named from Friendship Christian Church (q.v.), which is nearby. (J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gant
Description:A discontinued post office in southern Wilson Township. Named for Thomas Gant, pioneer settler, on whose land it was located. (HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, I, 203; J.S. Jesse, John Turner)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gant School
Description:In Wilson Township. Named from the post office (q.v.).
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gatewood School
Description:In Wilson Township. Named for Jefferson Gatewood, on whose farm it was located. (S.P. Emmons)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Gentry Branch
Description:See Turner's Branch.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Goatley School
Description:See Maple Grove School.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Goodwater Creek
Description:A fork of Young's Creek, in Saling and Wilson Townships. So named because of its good, clear water. (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Goodwater School
Description:In Prairie Township. Named for its location on Goodwater Creek (q.v.). (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Grafton
Description:A station on the Chicago and Atchison Railroad in Linn Township, which went out of existence as Rush Hill developed. The origin of the name is unknown. (MAP 1873; J.L. Boman, W.H. Carpenter)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Groves Chapel Methodist Church
Description:In southwestern Salt River Township, now defunct, the building being used by a lodge. Named for William Groves, who gave both the land and the building to the congregation. (Mrs. E.F. Elliott, J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Haig
Description:A station on the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad in northern Loutre Township. Said to have been named for a railroad official. (RAND MC NALLY ATLAS; J.L. Bomar)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hall School
Description:In Cuivre Township. Named for James Hall of the district. (O.M. Montague)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Harrison School
Description:In Wilson Township. Named for John Harrison of the district. (J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hawkinsville
Description:An abandoned store and blacksmith shop and discontinued post office in Saling Township. Named for Davenport Hawkins, owner. (T.J. Hawkins)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hazel Creek
Description:In Salt River and Prairie Townships, a branch of Littleby Creek. Named from the hazel brush which once grew abundantly here. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1918; J.S. Jesse, E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hazel School
Description:In Prairie Township. Named from its location on Hazel Creek (q.v.). (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hedgedale School
Description:In Linn Township. A descriptive name, the grounds being surrounded by hedge fence. (J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Henry's Fork
Description:In Wilson and Salt River Townships, a branch of South Fork of Salt River. Undoubtedly the Christian name of an early settler of the neighborhood. (William Viivion)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hickory Branch
Description:See Hickory Creek.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hickory Creek
Description:Rises in Cuivre Township, Audrain County, and joins Spencer Creek in Jasper Township, Ralls County. Named from the hickory groves along the bank. Hickory Branch on 1878 atlas. (Mrs. Jennie Alexander, O.M. Montague)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hickory Creek
Description:A settlement and post office in Cuivre Township, established as early as 1853 and discontinued before 1876. Named from its location near Hickory Creek (q.v.). (Hayward, 824; C.B. Kennan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hickory Grove
Description:A discontinued post office and trading point in Wilson Township. Named from the hickory trees in the vicinity. (C.B. Kennan, William Vivion)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hickory Grove School
Description:In Cuivre Township. See above. (Mrs. E.F. Elliott)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:High Hill School
Description:In Wilson Township. Named from its location on a hill on the divide. (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Highland School
Description:In Wilson Township. Named from its high elevation on the divide. (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hisey School
Description:In Wilson Township. Named for Rufus Hisey, on whose land it was located. (C.B. Kennan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hollensville
Description:A trading point and post office from 1899-1904, in northern Wilson Township. Named for the postmaster, J.W. Hollingshead. The change in spelling arose doubtless from careless pronunciation. (Mrs. J.S. Snidown, John Turner)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hopewell Baptist Church
Description:Formerly in Salt River Township. Organized in 1836 and moved about twenty years ago to Thompson. An ideal name. (HIST. AUDRAIN, 401; J.D. Greer, J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hudson City
Description:See Martinsburg.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Hurdle School
Description:In Wilson Township. Named from its location on the Ed. Hurdle farm. (J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jackson School
Description:In Salt River Township. Named for Pickette Jackson, an early surveyor of the county. Sometimes known as "Seed Tick," from the "Seed Tick" Community (q.v.). (J.L. Bomar, E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jefftown
Description:See Benton City.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jesse Creek
Description:Flows from Callaway County into Beaver Dam Creek, in Salt River Township. Named for Scott Jesse, pioneer settler here. (J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Jesse School
Description:In Salt River Township. Named for Reverend William M. Jesse of the district, who settled on the land in 1854. (J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Johns Branch [1 of 2]
Description:A discontinued post office and store in eastern Linn Township. Named from its location near Johns Branch (q.v.). Named Johns Store on 1877 atlas. The erroneous apostrophe is often inserted (see above). (Campbell, 49; O.M. Montague)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Johns Branch [2 of 2]
Description:A branch of Cuivre Creek, in Linn and Cuivre Townships. Named for a pioneer, who lived near Rush Hill. Since his name was Johns, there should be no apostrophe before the "s" but it is often inserted. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1918; O.M. Montague)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Johns Store
Description:See Johns Branch (post office).
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Judah Creek
Description:In Saling Township, Audrain County and Union Township, Monroe County, a branch of Allen Creek. Named for a pioneer settler, Wesley Judah. Misnamed Judith Creek in SOIL SURVEY OF MISSOURI, I, 494. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1918; T.J. Hawkins, John Turner)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Judith Creek
Description:See Judah Creek.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Keeton School
Description:See Daniel School.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Laddonia
Description:A small town in Prairie Township, named in 1871 at the suggestion of Thomas W. Carter, county surveyor, for Amos Ladd, an early settler, who with Colonel J.J. Haden laid off the site. Ladd later committed suicide at Mexico, Missouri. (Postal Guide 1876 f.; C.B. Kennan; E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lake La Kota
Description:A Burlington Railroad lake in Salt River Township, about a mile east of Mexico. Named, when a country club house and resort was built on it, from a combination of two names Lawder and Kota, for E.M. Lawder, the manager of the club, and his wife, whose Christian name is Kota. Formerly known as Burlington Lake, for the railroad. (E.M. Lawder)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Larrabee
Description:A coal and water station on the Chicago and Atchison Railroad in southern Saling Township. Two explanations are offered by residents; one, that it was named for Summers Larrabee, a negro who lived and died in an old hut near the station; the other that it was named for a former treasurer of the Chicago and Atchison Railroad. Also known as Larrabee Station. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1898; T.J. Hawkins, T.O. Sayre)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Larrabee Lake
Description:An artificial lake in Saling Township. Named from Larrabee (q.v.), near which it was constructed. (J.S. Jesse, John Turner)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Larrabee Station
Description:See Larrabee.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lawder School
Description:In Salt River Township. Named for Mayor Rynd Edward Lawder, a director of the district. (E.M. Lawder)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lawson School
Description:In Saling Township. Named for a family of the district. (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Le Roy
Description:A discontinued post office and station on the Chicago and Atchison Railroad northeast of Mexico, in Linn Township. Named for a railroad official. (Campbell, 49; J.L. Bomar)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Liberty Christian Church
Description:In northern Wilson Township. An ideal name. (HIST. AUDRAIN, 411; J.S. Jesse, J.D. Greer)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:In Salt River Township. An ideal name. Also "Mud Dauber" from the mud daubers which once built their nests on the ceiling. (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lick Creek Country
Description:The territory in Audrain and Ralls Counties drained by Lick Creek (q.v.) and its tributaries. (Dr. W.T. Waters)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Linn Township
Description:In the east-central part of the county, originally a part of Prairie and Loutre Townships. Citizens differ as to the source of the name. Some say it is for Lewis F. Linn (1796-1843), United States Senator and a popular figure in the state at that time. Others say it is for Linn Ladd, son of Amos Ladd, prominent landowner in the eastern part of the state. (W.W. Botts, E.B. Kennan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Loutre Creek
Description:A fork of Loutre Creek (q.v.), in southeastern Loutre Township, Audrain County, and Loutre, Montgomery, and Danville Townships, Montgomery County. (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Little Skull Lick Creek
Description:In Wilson and Salt River Townships, the north fork of Skull Lick Creek (q.v.), from which it takes its name. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1918)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Littleby
Description:A railroad station in western Linn Township. Named from Littleby Creek (q.v.), about one mile distant. (W.W. Botts, C.B. Kennan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Littleby Baptist Church
Description:Organized in 1870 in southwest Prairie Township, on Littleby Creek (q.v.), which gives it the name. (J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Littleby Creek
Description:A tributary of South Fork of Salt River. Named for an Englishman, Robert Littleby, who settled on the banks in the early nineteenth century and lived a hermit's life, subsisting by hunting and fishing. In his old age neighbors cared for him after they found him on the creek, sick and old and almost blind, eating haws. Eaton says he was found dead in his cabin, supposedly mutilated by wolves; Conard says he moved to the Platte River, where he died. It was impossible to verify these statements. (Conard, I, 83, Eaton, 204; J.S. Jesse, T.A. McGee)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Littleby Methodist Church
Description:In northwestern LinnTownship, east of Mexico. Named from its location near Littleby Creek. (J.S. Jesse, William Vivion)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Littleby Post Office
Description:A discontinued post office in Prairie Township. Named from Littleby Creek (q.v.), about two miles west. Formerly Blue's Store, named for Duncan Blue, proprietor. (Goodwin, 25; J.L. Boman, W.W. Botts, R.H. Cauthorn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Long Branch
Description:A tributary of the South Fork of Salt River, rising in Saling Township, Audrain County and joining the South Fork of Salt River in South Fork Township, Monroe County. Its name is descriptive of the length of the stream, which crosses almost the entire southern part of Monroe County from west to east. (Campbell, 47)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Long Scattering Creek
Description:In Saline Township, the longer fork of Scattering Creek (q.v.). (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1877)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Lost Creek
Description:A branch of Cuivre Creek, in Cuivre Township. It is so crooked it almost loses itself; hence, its name. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1918; E.A. Shannon)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Loutre
Description:A discontinued post office in Loutre Township, on Loutre Creek (q.v.), whence its name. The post office, established June 15, 1849, was known originally as Shy Post for a Mr. Shy who ran it. The name was changed in 1858. Goodwin erroneously states this is the original of Martinsburg; the latter is not located on the creek. However, the post office was moved from Loutre to Martinsburg. (Goodwin, 26, Hayward, 824; Mrs. Frances J. O'Meara)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Loutre Branch
Description:Rises in Audrain County, flowing into Little Loutre River in southern Upper Loutre Township, Montgomery County, thence into Loutre River (q.v.). Misspelt Luter on AUDRAIN ATLAS 1877. (Beck, 289)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Loutre Creek
Description:Heads in Loutre Township, Audrain County, joining Loutre River (q.v.) in Montgomery County.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Loutre Township
Description:Laid off in 1837, in the southeastern part of the county. Named from Loutre Creek (q.v.), which heads in and flows through the southern part. The township was considerably reduced with the formation later of Linn Township. (Eaton, 205, HIST. AUDRAIN, 223)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Macedonia Christian Church
Description:In northwestern Saling Township. See above. (J.D. Greer, J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Macedonia School
Description:In Saling Township. Named from the Macedonia Christian Church (q.v.). (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mam's Slough
Description:In Loutre and Linn Townships, a branch of Cuivre Creek. An appochryphal story has that in an early day a woman killed an animal, presumably a deer, on the bank. Since "mam slew," the creek was given the name Mam's Slough. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1918; William Vivion)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Maple Grove Methodist Church
Description:In southern Wilson Township. Named from its location. (HIST. AUDRAIN, 408; J.D. Greer, J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Maple Grove School
Description:In Salt River Township. Named from the maple trees planted in the yard. Formerly Goatley School, for John Goatley of the district. (J.S. Jesse, E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Martinsburg
Description:A town in Loutre Township, laid out in November 21, 1857, and named for William Russell Martin, a Kentuckian, who settled in the county in 1851. The station previously was known as Hudson City, named by Martin for a friend, a traveling clockmaker, who was well liked in the community. He was quite a philosopher. The name was changed to honor the donor of the town site. Early spelling varies with Martinsburgh. (HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, I, 227, PLAT BOOK NO. 1; C.B. Kennan, Mrs. Frances J. O'Meara)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mayes Branch
Description:In southern Wilson Township, a branch of the South Fork of Salt River. Benjamin Mays, pioneer, owned land here. The variation spelling follows the usual modern orthography for this family name. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1877; E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:McClintic School
Description:In Linn Township. Named for Robert McClintic of the district. (S.P. Emmons)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:McGee
Description:A store, blacksmith shop, and post office in western Wilson Township, destroyed by a cyclone in 1896. Named for the owner, William McGee. (T.J. Hawkins)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mexico
Description:The county seat, in Salt River Township. Laid out in April, 1836, (recorded April 25, 1836) by Robert Mansfield and James H. Smith and named for the country of Mexico, in recognition of the increasing excitement over independence of Texas from Mexico, which led to the Mexican War. The note of the name was expected to bring popularity to the town. By error referred to in State Laws (1836) as New Mexico. (Campbell, 49, COUNTY PLAT BOOK NO. 2, HIST. N.E. MISSOURI I, 186, 223; William Vivion)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Middle Lick Creek
Description:In Linn and Prairie Townships, Audrain County, joining Lick Creek (q.v.) in Salt River, Ralls County. A name descriptive of the location. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1918)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Midway
Description:See Carroll.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Midway Christian Church
Description:In northwestern Salt River Township, northwest of Mexico. Named from its location midway on the Mexico-Paris road. (HIST. AUDRAIN, 411; J.D. Greer, J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Modoc
Description:A post office in southern Wilson Township, established in 1879 and discontinued in 1886. Named for the Modoc Indians. This far western tribe, whose home was in southwest Oregon, came into national prominence during the Modoc War of 1872-3. Known locally as Ridgeway's Store, for the proprietor, John Ridgeway. (HIST. AUDRAIN, 227, Hodge, sub. "Modocs," Maps 1879-86; J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Molino
Description:A settlement and post office in Salt River Township. Named by William Dudley, postmaster, because he liked it. He chose the first part of Molino del Rey, the name of some stone buildings near Mexico City, also the site of a battle of the Mexican War (1847). (W.W. Botts, R.H. Cauthorn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mount Carmel
Description:A post office and trading point in Cuivre Township, run by Gregory Duchant and discontinued at his death in 1932. A Bible name, for the mountain where Elijah overcame the priests of Baal (I KINGS 18:42).
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mt. Olivet Presbyterian Church
Description:In Cuivre Township, eight miles south of Vandalia. Organized in 1871. See above. (SYNOD OF MISSOURI, 69; J.D. Greer, J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mt. Zion Baptist Church
Description:In northern Salt River Township. Organized in 1881, now moved to Molino. A Bible name, the southwest hill of Jerusalem, surrounded on all sides except the north by deep valleys (II SAM 5:7). (MISSOURI BAP. ASSOC., 213; J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Mud Dauber School
Description:See Liberty School.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Naylor School
Description:In Wilson Township. Named for a pioneer on whose land it is located. (J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:New Hope Baptist Church
Description:In Wilson Township, organized in 1869. An ideal name. (HIST. AUDRAIN, 404; J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:New Hope Christian Church
Description:In southeastern Salt River Township, now defunct. See above. (HIST. AUDRAIN, 413; J.D. Greer, J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:New Mexico
Description:See Mexico.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:New Michigan School
Description:In Cuivre Township. Named from the state by early settlers from Michigan. (J.L. Bomar)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:New Michigan Union Church
Description:In Cuivre Township. So named because the congregations meet in New Michigan schoolhouse (q.v.). (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:New Providence Baptist Church
Description:In Loutre Township, south of Martinsburg, now defunct. An ideal name. (J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Oak Grove School
Description:In Cuivre Township. Named for the many large oak trees once in the yard. The name has been changed, for no obvious reason, from Fair Oaks, also a descriptive name. (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Olivet Methodist Church
Description:In northwest Salt River Township. See above. (HIST. AUDRAIN, 407; J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ortiz
Description:A loading station in Salt River Township on the Fulton branch of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad. Named by M.B. Guthrie, a farmer near the station, for his favorite saddle horse, Ortiz Rose. Formerly known as Doan, for John Doan, on whose land it was located. Guthrie had the name changed because he was so fond of his horse. Misspelt Ortez frequently. Often referred to as Ortiz Station. (Map 1888-1933; J.S. Jesse, C.B. Kennan, William Vivion)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ortiz Station
Description:See Ortiz.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Payne School
Description:In Wilson Township. Named for a family of the district. (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pine School
Description:In Saling Township. Named for a family of the district. (C.B. Kennan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pisgah Baptist Church
Description:In southwestern Saling Township, one of the oldest in the county. A Bible name (DEUT. 34:1), the mountain from which Moses viewed the Promised Land. (J.D. Greer, J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pisgah Branch
Description:In Saling Township, a branch of Saling Creek. Named from Pisgah Baptist Church (q.v.). (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pisgah School
Description:In Saling Township. Named from Pisgah Baptist Church (q.v.). (J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Green School
Description:In Wilson Township. A name descriptive of its location on level land on the divide. (E.C. Offutt, J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Grove Methodist Church
Description:In Saling Township, near Saling Creek. See above. (J.D. Greer, J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Plains Baptist Church
Description:In central Cuivre Township. Organized in 1882 and named from the school (q.v.). (MISSOURI BAP. BULL., 203; J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Plains Methodist Church
Description:In central Cuivre Township. Named from the school (q.v.). (J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Pleasant Plains School
Description:In Cuivre Township. A name descriptive of its location. (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Possum Branch
Description:See Possum Walk.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Possum Walk
Description:In western Salt River Township, a section of Davis Fork locally so named because the region nearby was good opossum hunting grounds. This part of the creek is also referred to as Possum Branch. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1877, E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prairie Chapel School
Description:In Loutre Township. Named from its location on a prairie. (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prairie Lea School
Description:In Salt River Township. Named from its location. (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prairie Township
Description:In the north-central part of the county. Laid out in 1837 and so named because it consists almost entirely of prairie land. Its size was reduced by the formation later of Linn Township. (Eaton, 204, HIST. AUDRAIN, 223; C.B. Kennan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prairie View Methodist Church
Description:In Cuivre Township, now defunct. Named from Prairie View School (q.v.), nearby in Pike County (q.v.). (E.A. Shannon, Mrs. E.J. Straube)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Prairie View Presbyterian Church
Description:In southeastern Wilson Township, now defunct. Named from its location. (Mrs. E.F. Elliott, J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Progress
Description:A store and discontinued post office in Linn Township, operated by L.M. Hendrix and Mott Heizer. An ideal name. The Littleby post office about two miles north ceased to exist when a post office was established at Progress. (HIST. AUDRAIN, 161; W.W. Botts)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Reese's Fork
Description:See Allen Creek.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ridgeway's Store
Description:See Modoc.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Ringo School
Description:In Prairie Township. Named for Alvin Ringo, prominent in the district. (S.P. Emmons)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rising Sun Christian Church
Description:See Sunrise Christian Church.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rock Hill Christian Church
Description:In southern Prairie Township, now defunct, nothing remaining but the cemetery, which is kept up. Named from its location on a rocky hill. (J.D. Greer, J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rowe
Description:See Rowena.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rowena
Description:A store and post office in Wilson Township, established in 1844 and discontinued in 1904. Named for Hiley Rowe, owner of the store and of a large tract of land in the vicinity. (Eaton states wrongly that it was for Dr. Sam S. Rowe). The earlier name was Rowe. (Eaton, 204; Mrs. J.S. Snidow, John Turner)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Rush Hill
Description:A town in Linn Township, laid out in 1881. The name was coined by combining the names of Gustav Reusch and William Preston Hill, who owned the site and laid off the town. (Conard V, 415, Eaton, 204, PLAT BOOK NO. 1, Postal Guide, 1886 f.; C.B. Kennan, E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Saling
Description:A trading point and post office (1886-1904), in northeast Saling Township. Named from the township. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1898; C.B. Kennan, John Turner)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Saling Creek
Description:Rises in southwestern Saling Township, Audrain County, and flows into Allen's Fork in Union Township, Monroe County. Named for George Saling, who located here in 1830. (HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, I, 191n, ORIGINAL COUNTY PLAT BOOK; W.W. Botts, W.H. Carpenter)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Saling Township
Description:In the northwestern corner of the county, one of the five original townships. Laid out in 1837 and named for Saling Creek, which heads within its boundaries, joining Long Branch in Monroe County. (HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, I, 191n)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salt Creek
Description:In Wilson Township, a branch of the South Fork of Salt River (q.v.); whence its name. (ATLAS 1918; John Turner)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salt River
Description:A discontinued post office in Salt River Township, southwest of Mexico. Named from the township. (HAYWARD GAZ., 824; Maps 1844-1871)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salt River Christian Church
Description:In southern Wilson Township. Named from the Salt Fork of Salt River (q.v.) which heads near here. (William Vivion)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Salt River Township
Description:In the central part of the county, one of the five original townships. Laid off in 1837 and named for Salt River (q.v.), the South Fork of which drains it. (HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, I, 191n)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sames School
Description:In Saling Township. Named for a German doctor, who was a pioneer settler here. Once called "Dutch Academy," because of an attempt of the German settlers to establish a school of higher learning. (J.S. Jesse, E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sandy Creek
Description:Rises in the southeastern part of Cuivre Township, Audrain County, crossing a corner of Pike County into Prairie Township, Montgomery County where it joins West Fork Cuivre Township. Most of the bed is sandy; there are few rocks in it. The atlas of 1877 spells it Sandey, also Sanders. (L.W. Williams)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Scattering Creek
Description:A small stream in the northern part of Saling and Wilson Townships, Audrain County, flowing into Long Branch in Monroe County. So named because it breaks into several forks. (Atlas 1918; E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Scattering Fork
Description:In the south-central part of the county, a branch of South Fork of Salt River. So named because it runs in every direction, also because it often overflows, the bed being shallow. Scattering Creek on 1918 atlas. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1918; C.B. Kennan, William Vivion)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Scott's Branch
Description:In southern Salt River Township, a branch of Beaver Dam Creek. Named for John Scott, pioneer settler. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1918; ORIGINAL PLAT BOOK; J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Seed Tick Church
Description:See Union Chapel.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Seed Tick Community
Description:This nickname, applied locally to a region in Salt River Township south of Mexico, originated probably because someone happened to be unusually pestered with seed ticks while in the neighborhood. In the community are Union Chapel, sometimes called "Seed Tick" Church, and Jackson School, the so-called "Seed Tick" school. (J.D. Greer, J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Seed Tick School
Description:See Jackson School.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Seven Mile Creek
Description:Rises in southern Wilson Township, flowing into Callaway County. Named from its length. Also known as Bynum Creek, for an early settler. (HIST. AUDRAIN, 223, J.S. Jesse, E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Shannon Branch
Description:In Prairie Township, a branch of West Lick Creek. Named for an old settler from Virginia. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1918; J.L. Bomar, William Vivion)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Short Scattering Creek
Description:A fork of Scattering Creek (q.v.) in Saling Township. So named to distinguish it from Long Scattering Creek. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1877; John Turner)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Shy Post
Description:See Loutre.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Simms School
Description:In Wilson Township. Named for Irving J. Simms, on whose land it was located. (J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Skinner
Description:A trading point and post office from 1895-1904 in Wilson Township. Named for a pioneer settler from Tennessee. (C.B. Bomar, C.B. Kennan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Skull Lick
Description:A post office discontinued many years ago, on Skull Lick Creek, whence its name. (ST. LOUIS GAZ. & BUS. D., 1860, 450, Goodwin GAZ., 38; C.B. Kennan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Skull Lick Creek
Description:In the west-central part of the county, a branch of South Fork of Salt River. So named because many skulls were found on its bank near a salt lick. About 1812 settlers on Loutre Island, following some Indian horse thieves,were attacked while camping one night on the bank of the stream. Most of them were slain. Skulls found later were supposed to be those of these unfortunate men. Misspelt Scull Lick on atlas of 1877. Sometimes spoken of as Big Skull Lick Creek to distinguish it from its smaller fork, Little Skull Creek. (Conard, I, 82-3, Eaton, 205; J.S. Jesse, E.M. Lawder)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Skull Lick Presbyterian Church
Description:See Bethlehem Presbyterian Church.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Skull Lick School
Description:In Wilson Township. Named for its location on Skull Lick Creek (q.v.). (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sneed School
Description:In Salt River Township. Named for a family who came here from Virginia after the Civil War. (J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:South Branch Junction
Description:A railroad station west of Mexico on the proposed Wabash branch of Glasgow, south of the main line of the railroad. Hence its name. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1933; J.S. Jesse, C.B. Kennan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:South Carter School
Description:In Cuivre Township. So named to distinguish it from the Carter school north of it. Named for a family in the district. (O.M. Montague, E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:South Fork of Salt River
Description:A branch of Salt River, named from its location. It flows through Salt River and Prairie Townships of Audrain County into Monroe County, joining Salt River in Jefferson Township. (Campbell, 49)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:South Liberty School
Description:In Loutre Township. Named from its location south of Liberty School. (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Stauffer School
Description:In Loutre Township. Named for a family of the district. (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Strother School
Description:In Wilson Township. Named for a family of the district. (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sunrise Christian Church
Description:In Salt River Township, north of Mexico. Named from its location on a high knoll on South Fork of Salt River, from which the view is magnificent. Sometimes referred to locally as Rising Sun Church. (HIST. AUDRAIN, 412; J.D. Greer, J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Sunrise School
Description:In Loutre Township. Named from its location on an elevation in prairie land. Also an emblematic name. (E.B. Kennan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Switzler
Description:A post office in Wilson Township, near the Monroe County Line. Named for Colonel William F. Switzler of Columbia, Missouri, prominent during the Civil War, especially in central Missouri. Listed in Monroe County in Postal Guide 1870. (Davis-Durrie, 604, HIST. AUDRAIN, 227; W.W. Botts, W.H. Carpenter)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Talley's Branch
Description:In Prairie Township, a branch of South Fork of Salt River. Named for a pioneer family who located here. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1918; C.B. Kenna, O.M. Montague)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Thompson
Description:A village in Wilson Township west of Mexico, begun as a post office when the Wabash Railroad was built through this vicinity. Named for William Tompson, the first postmaster and owner of the land on which it was situated. Custom gradually changed the spelling to Thompson. Tompsons Station on map 1870; Thompsons Station on map 1873. (Campbell, 49; Willard Tompson)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Thompson Station
Description:See Thompson.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Trinity Methodist Church
Description:In central Salt River Township, northwest of Mexico. Named for a Christian doctrine. (HIST. AUDRAIN, 407; J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Turner's Branch
Description:In southwestern Saling Township, a branch of Saling Creek. Named for Gus Turner, pioneer settler here. Sometimes called Gentry, for a later settler here. (T.J. Hawkins)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Twin Churches
Description:In Salt River Township, about ten miles southeast of Mexico. So named because the two churches, Union Chapel and New Hope Christian, are only about two hundred yards apart. (J.S. Jesse, William Vivion)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Union Chapel
Description:In Salt River Township. Organized in 1862 and used by both Baptists and Presbyterians, this fact accounting for the name. Sometimes called "Seed Tick" church from the community named in jest "Seed Tick" (q.v.). (J.D. Davis, J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Union School
Description:In Salt River Township. An ideal name. (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Unity Christian Church
Description:In Loutre Township, two miles south of Benton City. An ideal name. See Union Chapel Christian Church (Ralls), above. (J.S. Jesse, William Vivion)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Unity Presbyterian Church
Description:In north-central Prairie Township, northwest of Laddonia. So named because the building was used also by a Methodist organization. The latter was known as Wesley Chapel, for the founder of Methodism, John Wesley (1703-1791). (SYNOD OF MISSOURI, 70; J.D. Greer, J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Vandalia
Description:A city in Cuivre Township. Laid out in July, 1871, by Aaron McPike and Judge Caldwell. Named for the old capital of Illinois by settlers from that state. (Eaton, 205, PLAT BOOK NO. 1; J.L. Bomar, W.W. Botts)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Vandalia Prairie
Description:A section in northern Cuivre Township extending into Ralls and Pike Counties, most of which region is prairie land. Named for the town (q.v.); a part of the so-called Grand Prairie. (Frank Hendrix, C.B. Kennan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Walker School
Description:In Linn Township. Named for a family of the district. (O.M. Montague)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Washington School
Description:In Salt River Township. Named for the President by the Bomars and McIntyres, early setters from Virginia. (J.L. Bomar, J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Watt's Branch
Description:A branch of Beaver Dam Creek, in Salt River Township. Named for an early settler, George Watts. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1918; J.S. Jesse, John Turner)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wesley Chapel Methodist Church
Description:See Unity Presbyterian Church.
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:West Cuivre Baptist Church
Description:Organized in 1845 in southwestern Cuivre Township, southeast of Laddonia on West Fork of Cuivre River (q.v.). Hence its name. (MISSOURI BAP. BULL., 213; J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:West Fork of Cuivre River
Description:Rises in southeastern Audrain County, crossing the corner of Pike and Montgomery Counties, into Lincoln County, where it becomes Cuivre River with its junction with North Fork. The Cuivre River (Riviere au Cuivre) was so named by the French, who were led to believe, no doubt from the Indians, that there was copper in the vicinity. One theory, advanced as a more plausible explanation because there is no copper in the region, says the correct original word was cuvre, meaning "fish pool." (COMMONWEALTH MISSOURI, 173; C.B. Kennan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:West Lick Creek
Description:In Linn and Prairie Townships, Audrain County, joining Lick Creek (q.v.) in Salt River Township, Ralls County. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1918; E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:West Lick School
Description:In Cuivre Township. Named from its location on West Lick Creek (q.v.). (E.C. Offutt)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:White Oak Branch
Description:In Salt River Township, a branch of Beaver Dam Creek. White oak trees are numerous in the vicinity of this stream. (AUDRAIN ATLAS 1918; C.B. Shannon)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wild Cat Branch
Description:Heads in Prairie Township, Randolph County, joining Judah Creek in northwestern Saling Township, Audrain County. Named for the animal. (William Vivion)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Wilson Township
Description:In the western part of the county. Organized in 1837 and named for Daniel Wilson, an early settler of the township. (Eaton, 204, HIST. AUDRAIN, 223; J.S. Jesse, William Vivion)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Worcester
Description:A post office in Prairie Township, established by early settlers in 1886 and discontinued in 1904. Named for their hometown in Massachusetts. (HIST. AUDRAIN, 328; J.L. Boman, W.W. Botts, R.H. Cauthorn)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Young's Creek
Description:A discontinued post office and trading point northwest of Mexico, in Salt River Township; located on Young's Creek (q.v.), from which it was named. (Campbell, 49; C.B. Kennan)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Young's Creek
Description:In the north-central part of Audrain County, joining Long Brance of Salt River in South Fork Township, Monroe County. Named for an early settler, Benjamin Young, a native of North Carolina, who located in what is now Audrain County in 1821. He is said to have been gored to death by a bull in 1833. (Conard, I, 83, Eaton, 20r5, HIST. AUDRAIN, 93; W.W. Botts, John Turner)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Place name:Zion Baptist Church
Description:In eastern Saling Township, one of the oldest organizations but now defunct. A Bible name. See Mt. Zion. (J.S. Jesse)
Source:Leech, Esther. "Place Names Of Six East Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names