Atchison County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Angel School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Atchison County
Description:This county was organized from a part of Holt in 1845 and named in honor of David R. Atchison, who was then a senator from Missouri. (SESSION LAWS, 1844-1845, p. 34; Davis & Durrie, p. 316; HIST. HOLT & ATCH. 1882, p. 585; HIST. HARR. 1888, p. 182; BIOG. HIST. ATCH. p. 7; ATCH. CO. MAIL, Aug. 5, 1827, p. 1)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bailey's Grove
Description:Evidently named for James Bailey who settled there in 1845. It is sometimes called McCallister's Grove (q.v.). (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., 1882, p. 792)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Banner School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Belleview School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Benton Center School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Benton Township
Description:Benton Township is found in three counties in this survey. All are named in honor of Thomas H. Benton. In Atchison County, the township was organized in 1858 from the Nishnebotna and reduced to its present limits in 1870. In Daviess County, Benton Township was first included in Grindstone in 1837, next in Big Creek, in 1839 and finally in 1840 it was made a separate township. (HIST. OF DAV. p. 248; Names File No. 20; HIST. OF N.W. MISSOURI, p. 449; Sam Evans, (letter); HIST. OF HOLT & ATCH., p. 630)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Beverly Lake
Description:A resort lake in northwest Lee Township, one and a half miles southeast of Beverly Station, the town from which it derived its name. (ATLAS PLATTE 1907, 7; Hill)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Bluff Township
Description:A former township in Atchison County, between the Nishnebotna and Missouri Rivers, was established when the county was organized in April, 1845. Later it became a part of Buchanan. The name doubtless describes the character of its boundary lines. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 469)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bryant School
Description:In southeastern Knoxville Township. Named for Peter Bryant, landowner. (Judge McGill)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Buchanan Township
Description:Originally a part of Nodaway Township in Andrew County was known as Buchanan Township. In May, 1858, the county court of Atchison County reduced the limits of Polk and Nishnebotna Townships by forming another called Buchanan. In both counties the name was derived from James Buchanan, who became President of the United States in 1857. (ATLAS OF ANDRES, 1877; HIST. OF HOLT & ATCH., p. 870)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Byron
Description:The post office of Rock Port (q.v.) was named Byron in 1855 and changed in 1856. This is an example of how towns were frequently named without due consideration. No record or information could be found as to its origin. (Mrs. F. Kurtz (letter); HIST. HOLT & ATCH., 1882, p. 678)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Campbell School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Center Grove
Description:This settlement was located near the center of Lincoln Township in timber land; hence the name. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 792)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Center Point
Description:Located by William and Harriet Roberts, between the East and Middle Tarkio Rivers and near the geographical center of the north section of the county. The town was abandoned when Tarkio was laid out in 1880, the settlers going to the new town. (Mrs. F. Kurtz (letter); HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 891)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Center View School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Central School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Chicken Bristle School
Description:A sobriquet; an assumed name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Clark Township
Description:One of the original townships organized by the first county court in April, 1845. It was reduced to its present limits in 1878, by the organization of Dale Township. Like most of the other townships in this county, it was doubtless named for a distinguished American, either General George Rogers Clark or his brother William Clark, the explorer, William Clark was governor of Missouri Territory from 1813-1821. He died in 1838. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 628; 721)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Clay Township
Description:Henry Clay, leader of the Whig Party, was a popular American Statesman, who died in 1852. Townships were established in Andrew about 1845, Atchison February, 1856, Harrison 1842 and Holt; all were named in his honor. (Miss Sallie Woodcock; HIST. OF HOLT & ATCH., p. 205; 642; B.P. Sigler; R.H. Dunn)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Clover Hill School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Cooper School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Cottonwood Grove School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Cow Branch
Description:A tributary of the Big Tarkio River, There are many such names of streams throughout the state, as for example, Horse Bear, Hog, Wolf. In most instances there is no record left as to why such names were given. In this instance it is said that its banks offered good grass upon which cows grazed in early days. (Mrs. F. Kurtz (letter); HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 890)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Cox School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Dale Township
Description:This township is almost wholly a prairie district of country, having only a small amount of timber along the Little Tarkio Creek. Perhaps the name is descriptive for it is valley land between the Tarkio and Nodaway Rivers. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 756)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:De Armond's Branch
Description:William De Armond was an early settler near this stream; hence the name. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 764)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Dogwoods
Description:A timbered district extending along the Missouri River. The flood of 1881 left a large deposit of sand, making the land worthless. The name is evidently descriptive; the dogwood tree is common in Northwest Missouri. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 81)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Dothan
Description:A village established about 1880 by J.R. Collison. Doubtless the name is taken from the Bible, for the town in Palestine (Genesis XXXVII, 17); (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 757)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:El Paso
Description:The first town in Buchanan Township was laid out by John Worlen and wife in July, 1852 and called El Paso. It was located at the narrows (q.v.) between the Nishnebotna and Missouri Rivers. After the encroachments of the Nishnebotna destroyed the steamboat landing. El Paso was abandoned, the inhabitants moving their houses to Sacramento City (q.v.). It is possible that the name El Paso, which is derived from the Spanish word meaning "a pass," was suggested by El Paso County in Texas, or El Paso del Norte, in Mexico, place names made known by the Mexican War, which ended four years before the establishment of the town. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 873-4)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Elk Dale
Description:Located in Dale Township. Doubtless this fact, coupled with that of the frequency of finding elk in pioneer days, was responsible for the naming of the village. (Mrs. F. Kurtz (letter); HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 958)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Elk Dale School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Emporia School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:English Grove
Description:So named because the first settler, John Matthews, was an Englishman by birth. Matthews settled in Atchison County in 1840. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 612)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Eudora
Description:A county post office in existence in 1876-1877. It is a feminine Christian name, but the origin has been lost. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1876-7, p. 178)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Eureka School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Evening Star School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Excelsior
Description:Formerly a town on the Missouri River, centering around a mill called Excelsior. The Excelsior Wheel was an added improvement to mill machinery about 1850, the approximate date of the origin of the town. Perhaps the name of the mill was derived from this wheel. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 633; Fiala Map, 1871)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Excelsior School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fairfax
Description:Laid out in April, 1881, by Charles E. Perkins. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 726)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fairview School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fowler Mill
Description:John Fowler established a mill on Rock Creek in 1842; hence the name. (ATCH. COUNTY MAIL, Aug. 5, 1927)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fugitt's Mill
Description:A trading point grew up around a mill established by Sarshal Fugitt in 1844. After Linden was laid out in 1846, this village ceased to exist. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 646; Mrs. F. Kurtz (letter); Conard, Vol. 1, p. 75-6)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Gill
Description:The MISSOURI GAZETTEER states that a post office called Gill existed in Polk Township, Atchison County, between the years 1889 and 1891. No other reference or information concerning the name was found. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, p. 386; 1891, p. 363)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Golden View School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Grave's Grove
Description:An early settlement in Atchison County, the earliest resident of which was Aaron Graves, who came from Kentucky. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 792)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Greenlee
Description:Frederick Greenley (also spelled Greenlee), was the first merchant in the village of Greenlee or Greenville. He erected a store in 1874. The post office was called York (q.v.). (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 896; 910)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Greenville
Description:The popular suffix, "ville," was sometimes added to the village of Greenley, in place of the last syllable of Greenley's name. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 896; 910)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Happy Hill School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Harmes School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hazel Grove
Description:Formerly a post office and hamlet in Atchison County. It was located in timber which covered eight hundred acres of land. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 790; Mrs. F. Kurtz (letter); MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, P. 431)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hazel Grove School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:High Creek
Description:High Creek rises in Iowa and flows across the western part of Polk Township. The name is evidently descriptive. A post office on this stream, in the same county, was also called High Creek. (Map in HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 646)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Highland School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hog Thief Bend
Description:A noted locality above the Narrows, in timber land. Probably the name reflects a bit of pioneer humor. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 874)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Homer
Description:A country post office established in 1871, on the mail route between Maryville and Rock Port. It was abandoned ten years later. This office did not, as was usually the case, derive its name from its first postmaster. In all probability the officials at Washington gave the name in honor of the Greek poet who seems to be their favorite, judging from the number of post offices named for him. In 1868 fourteen post offices were listed by that name. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 896; 914; P.O. GUIDE, 1868, p. 69)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Homer School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hope Chapel
Description:A country post office existing between the years 1879 and 1883. David P. Kyle, the postmaster, came to Atchison County in 1876. Apparently the name was taken from a church, called after one of the Christian virtues. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 776-7; 1033; MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 426)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hull's Point
Description:An atlas of 1877 designates this place as a town "about five miles west northwest of Orrick." By 1930 there was no longer a town there. It was named for J.E. Hull, a railroad contractor and merchant. (ATLAS RAY 1877, 10; RICHMOND MISSOURIAN January 9, 1930, 8)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Hunkadora
Description:An attempt was made to found a town through which the railroad would possibly be built. When the officials built through Tarkio instead, Hunkadora rapidly declined. Doubtless the name comes from the slang word, Hunkydory, which is now obsolete. "Hunky" signifies something done satisfactorily, all right; or even, square. (ATCH. COUNTY MAIL, No. 18, 1915, p. 1; STANDARD DICT.; NEW INTERNATIONAL DICT.)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hunters Bridge
Description:Named for William Hunter, who came from Clinton County in 1842, and settled at this point on Rock Creek. Conard calls it Hunters Ridge. (Conard, Vol. 1, p. 75; HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 615)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Huston School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Irish Grove
Description:A colony of Irish people, under the leadership of Martin Murphy, came from Canada in 1841 and settled in Atchison County in a locality afterwards known as Irish Grove. When a town was laid out in 1867, in the grove, it was called Milton (q.v.). (Conard, Vol. 1, p. 75; HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 612; 723)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Langdon
Description:When a post office was established at Thompson's Switch (q.v.) the village became known as Langdon, for John Langdon, a section foreman. The business houses were moved to Phelps City, with the establishment of that town. (TARKIO AVALANCHE, Mar. 16, 1917, p. 1; HIST. HOLT & ATCH, p. 947; Mrs. F. Kurtz (letter)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Langdon School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lewis School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lincoln Township
Description:Andrew County named a township Lincoln for John Lincoln mentioned under Lincoln Creek (q.v.). Atchison County, in 1871; Caldwell, in 1869; Daviess, in 1866; Harrison, in the 1860s; and Nodaway, in 1866, all honored Abraham Lincoln by naming townships for him. (Names File, No. 20; HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 526; HIST. OF HOLT & ATCH., p. 789; ATLAS OF DAV., 1876, p. 12; Sam Evans (letter); B.P. Sigler; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 293)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Linden
Description:The first county seat of Atchison. The name was derived from the number of linden trees in that region. The town was laid out in 1848, in a German community. In 1879 the name of the post office was changed to Magnet (q.v.). (HIST. HARR., p. 182; BIG'L HIST. ATCH., p. 17; HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 854)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:London
Description:A country post office established about 1875. Twelve post offices in 1868 bore the name of London. (P.O. GUIDE, 1868; MISSOURI GAZ., 1876-7, p. 300; HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 896)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:London School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lone Cedar School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lone Star School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Long Branch School
Description:Named for a stream.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lost Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lowe School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Magnet
Description:The post office at Linden (q.v.) was discontinued in 1869. Ten years later it was again secured but the name was changed to Magnet. Probably the name is merely forceful, carrying with it the idea that the village had magnetic powers. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 854)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:McCollister's Grove
Description:Evidently named for early settlers, among whom was John McCollister. Also called Bailey's Grove (q.v.). (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 807)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:McElroy's Branch
Description:Named for A. McElroy, an early settler, and one of the first county judges. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 849)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:McKissock's Island
Description:An island in the Missouri River. Jacob McKissock was an early settler in the locality. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 819; 872-31)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Meeks Mill
Description:In 1843 Nathaniel Meek erected a mill on Rock Creek. Eight years later he laid out the town of Rock Port (q.v.) across the stream from the mill. (ATCH. COUNTY MAIL, Aug. 5, 1927, p. 1; BIG'L. HIST. ATCH., p. 12)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Miller School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Millsap School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Milton
Description:Laid out by John Van Gundy and wife in 1867. It was located in Irish Grove (q.v.) on the Big Tarkio River. Why they selected this name is unknown. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 725)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Milton School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Morning Star School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Morning Sun School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mt. Hope School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mt. Pleasant School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mt. Salem School
Description:A Biblical name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Narrows
Description:In Atchison County, along the Nishnebotna River, a narrow strip of land containing about twenty-seven acres was named Narrows, or The Narrows. The first inhabitant of the region was Joseph Bernard, better known as "Faw-Faw," who, in 1839, operated a ferry, which was the first within the limits of Atchison County. This was a noted crossing. The One Hundred and Two Platte Rivers left a similar strip of valley land in Nodaway County, which was also called The Narrows. There was a post office located there. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 871; C. Gooden; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 254; Hayward's GAZ., p. 825)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:National School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:New Hope School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Nishnebotna
Description:A town founded by Frederick Volker in 1877, on the river by the same name. For brevity some people call it Nisha; others, Ishna. (ATCH. COUNTY MAIL, Nov. 18, 1915, p. 1; HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 729)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Nishnebotna River
Description:An Indian name which is said to signify a canoe-making river, or a river where boats were built. Like most Indian names, there is some disagreement on the correct spelling. Nishnabotna, Nishnebottona and Nishnebotona are all found, but preference is usually given to the simple form, Nishnebotna. (Thwaites, Vol. 14, p. 217; COLUMBIA MISSOURIAN, Mar. 14, 1925, mag. sec., p. 8; HIST. OF HOLT & ATCH., p. 104; Campbell, p. 40; Gannett, p. 148)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Nishnebotna Township
Description:Townships in both Atchison and Holt Counties, which had for boundary lines the Nishnebotna and Missouri Rivers, were named for the Nishnebotna River. In Atchison County, the township was established in 1845 and reduced to its present limits in 1870, after Benton and Templeton Townships were carved out of it. In Holt County, Nishnebotna Township was organized in 1841. (HIST. OF HOLT & ATCH., p. 104; 629; 817)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:North Polk School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:North Star
Description:The post office at Scott City (q.v.) was named North Star, by W.H. Hillman, postmaster, a name which was perhaps suggested by the emblem of Texas. The town was established in 1856. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 947)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:North Star School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Oak Grove School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Opp School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Oswald
Description:A country post office established about 1895. Perhaps it was named for a family in the community. Henry Oswald, a German by birth, came to Atchison County in 1868. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 704; MISSOURI GAZ., 1898-9, p. 890)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Phelps City
Description:Laid out in August, 1868, by Philip A. Thompson, Richard Buckham and Willis Phelps; named for the latter. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 944; BIOG'L. HIST. ATCH., p. 18; ATCH. COUNTY MAIL, Aug. 5, 1927, p. 1)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Phelps City School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pleasant Mound School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Polk Township
Description:Three townships were organized in 1845, in Atchison, DeKalb and Nodaway Counties. At that time James K. Polk was President of the United States. (HIST. OF HOLT & ATCH., p. 628; 848; ATLAS OF DE KALB, 1877; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, pp. 308- 12)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Powelton
Description:A country post office, doubtless named for the postmaster, Edward F. Powell. Sometimes spelled Powellton. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 778; HIST OF HOLT & ATCH., p. 793)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Prairie Flower School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Red Star School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Riverside Park
Description:A small park in southwestern Gallatin Township on a high bluff overlooking the Missouri River. (R. McN. 1925; Rev. Barr)
Source:Atchison, Anne. "Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1937.

Place name:Rock Creek
Description:A name descriptive of the bed of the stream. (Mary P. Keeley)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rock Port
Description:Laid out in April, 1851, by Nathan Meek, across the creek from Meek's Mill (q.v.). The name is derived from the fact that Rock Creek (q.v.) is rocky at this point. At one time their name was spelled as one word but in 1853 it was divided, to avoid confusion of mails with Rocheport, Missouri. In 1856 the county seat was moved from Linden (q.v.) to Rock Port. (ATCH. COUNTY MAIL, Aug. 5, 1927, p. 1; May 25, 1917, p. 2; ATCH. COUNTY JOURNAL, Sept. 16, 1915, p. 1; BIOG'L. HIST. ATCH., p. 12; HIST. HARR., p. 182; Mary P. Keeley; HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 649-50)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rose Branch
Description:Perhaps descriptive of the banks of the stream. (Cited in HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 645)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Ross School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Royal School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rupe's Grove
Description:A grove containing about eight hundred acres and named for Richard Rupe, the first settler. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 615-6; Conard, vol. 1, p. 75)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rupe's Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Sacramento City
Description:Laid out by the Rev. J.F. Duncan at a steamboat landing in the Missouri River. The change in the channel of the river brought about the abandonment of the town about 1872. Most of the buildings were moved to Hamburg, Iowa. There were many "Forty-niners" from Atchison County, and, as Sacramento was the first point reached in California by miners coming from the east, Sacramento City may have been named from the city in California, which originated as a fort in 1839 and was laid out in 1848. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 874; ENCY. BRIT., vol)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Scott City
Description:Laid out by Margaret Scott, who came to Missouri from Illinois. The post office was called North Star (q.v.) (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 947)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Seller School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Seminary School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Sonora
Description:H. B. Roberts and Thomas Wilson, the first permanent settlers in Atchison County, located at a point on the Missouri River in 1839. In 1846 a town was laid off there and named Sonora. After the Civil War, and the founding of Watson, Sonora was deserted. (Conard, Vol. 1, p. 74-5; vol. V11, p. 18; HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 819-20)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:South Blanchard
Description:That part of Blanchard, Iowa, which extends into Missouri is called South Blanchard. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 795)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:South Dale School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:South York School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Squan Creek
Description:This name may refer to the Indians who once inhabited the region. Possibly there are interesting folk stories concerning its origin, but none were discovered. (E.L. McDonald)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:St. Deroin
Description:Before Atchison County was settled, there was a trading point, on the Missouri River, called St. Deroin. Perhaps the name was derived from French traders. (ATCH. COUNTY JOURNAL, Sept. 16, 1915, p. 1) [Across the river in Nemaha County, Nebraska. See Campbell's Missouri Atlas, 1872-3. Named for Oto Chief, Joseph Deroin. See Nebraska Place Names Books. Wiped out in 1911 flood.]
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Star School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Sunny Grove School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Sunny Slope School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Tarkio
Description:Charles E. Perkins laid out a town on the Tarkio River (q.v.) and named it Tarkio, for the stream. (Mrs. J.D. McCrander (letter); BIOG. HIST. ATCH., p. 14)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Tarkio River
Description:An Indian place name of which there are two theories concerning its origin. The more common one is that Tarkio means "full of walnuts." Gannett gives its meaning as "difficult to ford." The main stream is also called Big Tarkio, to distinguish it from Little Tarkio, East Tarkio, Tarkio Creek, Middle Fork of Tarkio and West Fork of Little Tarkio, which are its tributaries. (Thwaites, vol. 14, p. 216; Gannett, p. 296; Map in HIST. HOLT & ATCH.)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Tarkio Township
Description:Established in 1845 between the Nisnebotna and Big Tarkio Rivers, and named for the latter. It was reduced to its present limits in 1871. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 629; 889)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Templeton Township
Description:Organized from the Nishnebotna and Benton Townships in 1870 and named for John W. Templeton who was a former county clerk. (ATCH. COUNTY MAIL, Sept. 9, 1915, p. 1; TARKIO AVALANCHE, Mar. 16, 1917, p. 1; HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 630; 942)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Thompson's Switch
Description:Located near the home of P.A. Thompson who used it extensively for shipping stock. The post office was called Langdon (q.v.). (TARKIO AVALANCHE, Mar. 16, 1917, p. 1)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Union City
Description:Laid out in 1865 by Enoch D. Scammon at the base of bluffs, near Rock Port. The name was doubtless inspired by the Civil War. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 678; Mary P. Keeley; ATCH. COUNTY MAIL, Jan. 5, 1917, p. 1)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Union School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Vogler Branch
Description:Named for an early German settler. (ATCH. COUNTY MAIL, Sept. 16, 1915, p. 1; ATCH. COUNTY JOURNAL, Dec. 2, 1915, p. 1; Mrs. F. Kurtz (letter)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wade School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Walkup School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Walkup's Grove
Description:A settlement named for James Walkup, who came from an adjoining county. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 757)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wallbaum School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Watson
Description:Laid out in 1869 by Marion Good and named for an engineer on the Burlington Railroad. (Mrs. Sylvia Schitzer (letter); HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 182; 825)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Waugh's Grove
Description:A settlement named for Robert Waugh, who came from Dunbar, Scotland. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 757)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wau-Wau-Lano-Wau
Description:Tradition says the Indians called the Platte Purchase Wau-Wau-Lano-Wau. From this name Lanowa (q.v.) has been coined recently, during a campaign to set off a state park in that region. (SAVANNAH REPORTER, Mar. 10, 1916, p. 1; LANOWA, 1925)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:West Bend School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Westboro
Description:Named by the Railroad Company in the 1880s. (Mrs. J.D. McCrander (letter)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:White's Branch
Description:Lewis White was an early settler near the source of this stream. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 756; 890; 939)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wolf School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Yale School
Description:A borrowed name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:York
Description:A country post office established in January, 1878, at Greenville (q.v.) or Greenlee (q.v.). Frederick Greenley, the postmaster and merchant of the village, was a native of New York state where he lived until he was twenty-one years of age. Doubtless he gave the name York to the post office in honor of his native state. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 896; 909-10)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:York School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Yorktown
Description:Laid out by Archibald York in 1857; hence the name. (HIST. HOLT & ATCH., p. 819; 824)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names