Andrew County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Amazonia
Description:In the early days there was a village near the site of Amazonia known as Boston (q.v.). No information concerning why the name was changed to Amazonia when the present town was laid out could be found. It is said that the founder selected the name for its euphonious qualities. (Names File, No. 20)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Amazonia School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Andrew County
Description:Andrew County was a part of the Platte Purchase and was organized in 1841. It was named in honor of Andrew Jackson Davis, a prominent lawyer of St. Louis and formerly of Savannah, the county seat of this county. (HIST. OF HARR., p. 181; Eaton, p. 202; BOONEVILLE WEEKLY ADV., Nov. 10, 1911, p. 2; SAVANNAH REPORTER, Mar. 10, 1916, p. 1; SESSION LAWS, 1840, p. 33)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Arapahoe Creek
Description:For several months a group of Arapahoe Indians camped on the creek which bears their name. The name is said to signify "traders," or "he who buys or trades." (Names File No. 20; Stennett, p. 38; Thwaites, Vol. 28, p. 266)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Arapahoe School
Description:Named for a stream.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Avenue City
Description:In 1877 it was the popular opinion that St. Joseph, Missouri, would grow towards Savannah. Avenue City, a half way place between the two, was so named because it was thought that it would soon connect with Frederick Avenue in St. Joseph. (Names File No. 20; MISSOURI GAZ., 1876-7, p. 132)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Barr School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Beauchamp School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Beeler School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bennett Lane
Description:"This was the first place in that section where enough settler's farms were contiguous when fenced in, to form a road... The lane ran north and south about three miles. On the east side of the lane were located the farms of Elisha, John, Isaiah and William Bennett." Hence the name. This locality is still referred to by this name. (HIST. OF NOD. 1882, p. 262; Miss Sallie Woodcock)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bennett Lane School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bennywood School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Benton Township
Description:Benton Township is found in three counties in this survey. All are named in honor of Thomas H. Benton. In Atchison County, the township was organized in 1858 from the Nishnebotna and reduced to its present limits in 1870. In Daviess County, Benton Township was first included in Grindstone in 1837, next in Big Creek, in 1839 and finally in 1840 it was made a separate township. (HIST. OF DAV. p. 248; Names File No. 20; HIST. OF N.W. MISSOURI, p. 449; Sam Evans, (letter); HIST. OF HOLT & ATCH., p. 630)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bethel School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Black Oak School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Blue School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bolckow
Description:Bolckow was laid out about 1868 by John Anderson and Benjamin A. Conard and named in honor of one of the officials of the Platte County Railroad. (Conard, Vol. 1, p. 315; MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 176)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bonham School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Bonteun
Description:A trading company, rivalling Robidoux, sprung up at Bonteun between 1837 and 1840. (Robidoux, p. 100)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Boston
Description:The town of Boston was established about 1840 by settlers from Massachusetts, and the name doubtless was borrowed from the city of Boston. The town was deserted and another was later established under the name of Amazonia (q.v.). (Miss Sallie Woodcock; MISSOURI GAZ., 1876-7, p. 824)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Brand School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Breckenridge School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Buchanan Township
Description:Originally a part of Nodaway Township in Andrew County was known as Buchanan Township. In May, 1858, the county court of Atchison County reduced the limits of Polk and Nishnebotna Townships by forming another called Buchanan. In both counties the name was derived from James Buchanan, who became President of the United States in 1857. (ATLAS OF ANDRES, 1877; HIST. OF HOLT & ATCH., p. 870)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Callen School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Carr School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Castle
Description:The Avenue City (q.v.) post office at one time was called Castle, a name given in honor of Judge Castle, a prominent citizen of the county. Names File, No. 20; MISSOURI GAZ., 1878-7, p. 132)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Castle School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Cherry Grove School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Chestnut Grove School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Clanton School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Clay Center School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Clay Township
Description:Henry Clay, leader of the Whig Party, was a popular American Statesman, who died in 1852. Townships were established in Andrew about 1845, Atchison February, 1856, Harrison 1842 and Holt; all were named in his honor. (Miss Sallie Woodcock; HIST. OF HOLT & ATCH., p. 205; 642; B.P. Sigler; R.H. Dunn)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Coffman School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Cosby
Description:Cosby was first located in 1878, one mile east of the present location. When the railroad was built in 1885, the village was moved to its present site. This town was named for the first child born in the village, Cosby Miller. (Names File, No. 20; Mrs. J. Houseman; MISSOURI GAZ., 1882, p. 90)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Cosby School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Craig
Description:The village in Andrew County now known as Rea (q.v.) was first called Craig, for L.W. Craig, a prominent citizen of the community. The name was changed to its present style after 1868, when a town was established in Holt County and named Craig, in honor of General James Craig of St. Joseph, who was a member of the state legislature in 1846 and a member of congress from Missouri in 1856- 1860. General Craig was active in the establishment of the railroad which called the town into existence. (Miss Sallie Woodcock; HIST. OF HOLT, p. 317)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Dale School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Deacon School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:DeWitt School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Dillon Creek
Description:Abraham Dillon put up a log water mill on Dillon Creek; hence the name. (Conard, Vol. 1, p. 42; Names File, No. 20)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Elrod
Description:William Elrod owned a water power grist mill on Platte River. About 1885, a post office was established at this place and named for the miller, who was the first postmaster. (Names File, No. 20; MISSOURI GAZ., 1891, p. 323)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Eminence School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Empire Prairie
Description:David Bonham came to Missouri in the early 1850s from Wisconsin and bought a large tract of land which he called Empire Prairie. The land was nearly level, and a most attractive farming spot. It was from this farm thar the village and post office known as Empire Prairie derived their names. (Names File, No. 20; MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 328)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Empire Township
Description:Like Empire Prairie (q.v.), Empire Township derived its name from David Bonham's farm. (Names File, No. 20)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Eureka School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fillmore
Description:Established in 1845 and named in honor of Millard Fillmore, who was coming into political prominence at that time. He became President of the United States in 1850. (Eaton, p. 202)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Flag Springs
Description:Near where the town of Flag Springs now stands there was once a swamp in which numerous flags grew. There are also springs, in that vicinity, which flow through a ledge of limestone. Hence the name is descriptive. The town site was owned by Marshall McQuinn and a Mr. Gaddy in 1841. (Conard, Vol. 1, p. 470; MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 340; Names File, No. 20)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Flag Springs School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fleming School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fountainbleau
Description:The village of Fountainbleau came into existence when a Union Church was erected. Frank Wilson and John Riley were asked to suggest a name for the place, and as both were great admirers of Napoleon they gave the name Fontainebleau, for Napoleon's palace. In 1876 when William Sullenger petitioned for a post office the name was misspelled and has since been accepted as Fountainbleau. The post office has ceased to exist. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 342; Names File, No. 20)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Fountainbleau School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Franklin School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Frog Pong School
Description:A sobriquet; an assumed name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Garfield School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Gee School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Glendale
Description:A village in Andrew County and discontinued post office established in Nodaway County in 1870, were evidently named Glendale, a name which describes their location. (Names File, No. 20; Davis & Durrie, p. 316; MISSOURI GAZ., 1879, p. 260; N. Sisson (letter); H.N. Kennedy)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Glenwood School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Goodloe School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Gravelwall School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Helena
Description:In 1878 H.C. Webster and Henry Snowden founded the town of Helena. It is said that a railroad official selected the name in honor of his daughter. (Eaton, p. 202; Names File, No. 20; Mrs. Edna Houseman; MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 410)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hickory Creek School
Description:Named for a stream.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hickory Point School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:High Bank School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:High Prairie School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Houseman School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Howard School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Hummon School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jackson School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jackson Township
Description:Four counties honored Andrew Jackson, the seventh President of the United States, when each named a township Jackson: Buchanan in 1843; Clinton, 1833; Daviess, 1840; and Nodaway, 1866. Andrew & Gentry Counties honored pioneer settlers. Jackson Township, in Andrew County, was established in 1846. (HIST. OF BUCH., 1915, p. 39; HIST. OF CLINTON, p. 103; HIST. OF DAVIESS, p. 252; 744; ATLAS OF DAVIESS, 1876, p. 12; HIST. OF N.W. MISSOURI, Vol. 1, p. 449; Sam Evans (letter); PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 281; C. Gooden; Names File, No. 20; ATLAS OF ANDREW, 1877; J.S. Williams)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jasper Township
Description:No information was obtained concerning this name. (ATLAS OF ANDREW, 1877)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jefferson Township
Description:All of the counties, with the exception of Gentry, which honored Andrew Jackson by naming townships for him, likewise honored Thomas Jefferson, the third President of the United States. The dates for the organization of these townships are as follows: Andrew, 1846; Buchanan, 1839; Clinton, 1838; Daviess, 1840; Harrison, about 1845; Nodaway, 1871. (Names File, No. 20; ATLAS OF ANDREW, 1877; HIST. OF BUCH., 1915, p. 39; MORNING HERALD, Aug. 20, 1873, p. 8; HIST. OF CLINT., p. 107; HIST. OF DAV., p. 252; Sam Evans (letter); ATLAS OF DAV., 1876, p. 12; HIST. OF N.W. MISSOURI, Vol. 1, p. 449; R.H. Dunn; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 286)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Jimtown
Description:A village established in 1839. All that remains of the town is the Jimtown Church. (Names File, No. 20)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Kodiak
Description:In 1892 Simon Mackey petitioned for a post office and as he suggested no name, the officials at Washington gave the name Kodiak. Kodiak now consists of one store, owned by J.W. Carson, and a few houses. (Names File, No. 20; MISSOURI GAZ., 1898, p. 716)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lanowa Park
Description:Lanowa is a name derived from Wan-wan-Lamo-wau (q.v.). It commemorates a strip of land along the Missouri River which is said to have been sacred ground to the Indians who once inhabited the region. (LANOWA, 1925)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Liggett School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lincoln Creek
Description:Named for John Lincoln, who owned a grist mill and a large tract of land, in early days. He was a cousin of Abraham Lincoln. (Names File, No. 20)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lincoln Township
Description:Andrew County named a township Lincoln for John Lincoln mentioned under Lincoln Creek (q.v.). Atchison County, in 1871; Caldwell, in 1869; Daviess, in 1866; Harrison, in the 1860s; and Nodaway, in 1866, all honored Abraham Lincoln by naming townships for him. (Names File, No. 20; HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 526; HIST. OF HOLT & ATCH., p. 789; ATLAS OF DAV., 1876, p. 12; Sam Evans (letter); B.P. Sigler; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 293)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Little Platte River
Description:See Platte River.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Long Branch
Description:The name Long Branch, describes the length of streams found in four counties of Northwest Missouri. (Names File No. 20; J.S. Williams; HIST. OF CALD. & LIV., p. 650; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 276)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Long Corner
Description:The old wagon road, running west of Bolckow, made a long corner at a point which was named from this fact. When a post office was established, it was called Parker, (q.v.). (MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 607)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Long Corner School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Lower Neely School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Miller School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Monroe Township
Description:James Monroe, fifth President of the United States, was honored by a township having been named for him in each of the three counties of Andrew, Daviess and Nodaway. The County Court, of Daviess, reorganized and renamed many of the townships, giving them names for national leaders. Monroe Township, Nodaway, was organized on February 12, 1881. (Names File, No. 20; ATLAS OF ANDREW, 1877; ATLAS OF DAV., 1890, p. 12; HIST. OF DAV., p. 799; Sam Evans (letter); PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 299)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Montgomery School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mt. Calvary School
Description:A Biblical name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mt. Pleasant School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Mt. Vernon School
Description:A borrowed name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Murphy School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Neely Grove Branch
Description:Named for James Neely, the original settler in that neighborhood. (Mrs. John Houseman (letter)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:New Hope School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Nodaway
Description:A village settled in 1868 and located at the confluence of the Nodaway and Missouri Rivers. (Eaton, p. 202; MISSOURI GAZ., 1898-9, p. 873)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Nodaway Island School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Nodaway River
Description:Nodaway is an Indian name which has many meanings. A simple explanation of the word is that it signifies "placid" or "placid water." Others hold that the word means "snakes," and figuratively "aliens" or "enemies." Mr. Allen Read, in his study of Iowa place names gives the following explanation of the name of a town called Nodaway, and the river from Andres Historical Atlas (p. 420). "There was an Indian interpreter in that vicinity in the early days who the other Indians called "Not-a-way." Dr. Luther Bent, who had a contract to supply beef to them asked the Indian the reason for it, and he replied that it was because he was like a rattlesnake, vindictive, revengeful and cunning. The stream for which this town was named also had the same source for its name be said, because in the early days its borders had been infested with rattlesnakes." Mr. Read quotes from A.R. Fulton's RED MEN OF IOWA (p. 488) to show how the name Nodaway links up with Nishnebotna: "When the Indians came to the Nodaway, they found it narrow and shallow enough that they called it "Crossed-without-a-canoe" or Nodaway. For the Nishnebotna they found the opposite and said, "crossed-with-a-canoe." (Eaton, p. 198, 336 Ibid. HIST. OF NOD., p. 85; Read, W.A., p. 43-4 Ibid, Gannett, p. 225; Ibid Thwaites, Vol. 14, p. 37; Read, Allen W., p. 52)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Nodaway Township
Description:Although the Nodaway River crosses only three counties of northwest Missouri, townships in five counties were named for it. Andrew organized a Nodaway Township in 1846; Buchanan, in 1839; Clinton, in 1838; Holt, in 1841; and Nodaway in 1871. In Buchanan County, the name is no longer in existence. Nodaway Township, Clinton County, was organized before the county was reduced to its present limits. (Names File, No. 20; ATLAS OF ANDREW, 1877; HIST. OF CLINT., p. 107; HIST. OF HOLT & ATCH., p. 104; HIST. OF BUCH. & ST. JOSEPH, 1915, p. 39; PAST & PRESENT, Vol. 1, p. 303)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:North Star School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Oak Grove School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Oakridge School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:One Hundred and Two River
Description:The name of this river is a disputed point. One authority asserts that it was 102 miles in length. Another, that it was named when surveyors were locating a military road and upon reaching the river, they found the distance was 102 miles from Fort Leavenworth. (HIST. OF BUCH. & ST. JOSEPH, 1904, p. 21; HIST. OF BUCH. & ST. JOSEPH, 1898, p. 40)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Parker
Description:The post office at Long Corner (q.v.) was named Parker, for the merchant, in whose store it was located. (Names File, No. 20; MISSOURI GAZ., 1891, p. 775)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Parker School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pepperbox School
Description:A sobriquet; an assumed name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Platte River
Description:The Platte River rises in Southern Iowa and flows southward through that part of Missouri known as the Platte Purchase. Lewis and Clark called it the Little Platte, perhaps to distinguish it from the larger Platte, and described it as a passing through "high open plains interspersed with groves of timber." This would indicate that the name had the meaning of a plat. The name was doubtless given by Frenchmen. A post office, located on the river in Buchanan County, in 1848, was called Platte River. It was established at Matney's Mill (q.v.), or the Platte River Mills (q.v.). (Lewis & Clark, Vol. 6, p. 36; MISSOURI GAZ., 1876-7, p. 765; HIST. OF BUCH., 1881, p. 119; Thwaites, Vol. 27, p. 227; Hutawa's Map, 1844)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Platte Township
Description:Three townships formed in the early days of Andrew, Buchanan and Clinton Counties, (in the years 1846, 1839 and 1838, respectively) were named from the Platte River. (Names File, No. 20; HIST. OF CLINT., p. 107; HIST. OF BUCH. & ST. JOSEPH, 1915, p. 39; MORNING HERALD, Aug. 20, 1873, p. 8)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Pleasant Prairie School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Prairie Valley School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Radical School
Description:A sobriquet; an assumed name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rankin
Description:Named for John Rankin who donated the land on which the village was located. (Mrs. John Houseman (letter)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rea
Description:Rea, Andrew County, was established in 1888 and first called Craig (q.v.). The present name was derived from Judge Joseph Rea on whose farm the town was built. A post office in De Kalb County was established about 1880 in Sherman Township. Perhaps named for a local citizen. (Names File, No. 20; MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, p. 966-7)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Republican School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Riverview School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rochester
Description:The site of Rochester was entered as early as 1840 when a store and hotel were established. Early settlers came by steamboat to the mouth of the Platte, where they took a canoe or flat boat for the rest of the journey. The town was laid out in 1848 and named for Rochester, England. (Names File, No. 20; Eaton, p. 202)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rochester School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rosedale
Description:See Rosendale.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rosendale
Description:When Hiram Gaemlick first settled on the site of Rosendale, he named it Rose-dale, because his house stood in the midst of a bed of wild roses, and on low ground near the One Hundred and Two River. Later the name assumed its present form. (Mrs. John Houseman (letter)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rush
Description:Named for the owner of the town site, Peter Rush. When it became a railroad station, it was called Rush Siding and later, Wyeth (q.v.). (Mrs. John Houseman (letter); Miss Sallie Woodcock)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Rush Siding
Description:See Rush.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Salem School
Description:A Biblical name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Savannah
Description:Two towns in Andrew County were named for children, Cosby (q.v.) and Savannah. In 1841, Savannah was laid off and named for the first white child born in the town, Savannah Woods. The child had been named for Mr. Wood's old home in Savannah, Georgia, and as Georgia was the former home of Judge Samuel Crowley, he suggested the name be given. The first county seat had been White Hall (q.v.) but it was moved to Savannah in 1841. (Names File, No. 20; Eaton, p. 202; Davis & Durrie, p. 316)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Savannah Landing
Description:Amazonia (q.v.) was at one time called Savanah Landing, presumably because it was the nearest town to Savannah on the Missouri River. (HIST. OF HOLT & ATCH., p. 820)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Stone Church School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Todd School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Union School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Upper Neely School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wade School
Description:Named for a prominent family.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Washington School
Description:Named for a famous man.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:West Star School
Description:An emblematic name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:White Hall
Description:The first county seat of Andrew was named White Hall. Owing to the scarcity of water, the town was moved two miles southeast to the site of Savannah (q.v.). (Names File, No. 20)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:White Oak School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Whitesville
Description:Laid out by Lyman Hunt and John D. White in 1848 and named in honor of the latter. (Eaton, p. 202)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Woodlawn School
Description:A descriptive name.
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Place name:Wyeth
Description:Named by the railroad company about 1895. First called Rush (q.v.) and Rush Siding (q.v.). (Mrs. John Houseman (letter)
Source:Ewing, Martha K. "Place Names In The Northwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1929.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names