Adair County Place Names, 1928-1945

Place name:Adair
Description:The village of Adair was settled by Catholics from Ohio. Father McNamee of Edina interested several families living in Clay Township to make a settlement in Adair County. The village was platted in April, 1879 for M.C. and Marty Cody. The village was named for the county (q.v.). Thus the settlement in Adair County became known as the Adair parish and the community was known as Adair. The Catholics began to settle in Knox County in 1837. (HIST. OF LEWIS, ETC., p. 602; Violette, p. 423, HIST. OF ADAIR, etc., pp. 371- 2)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Adair County
Description:"Adair County was organized January 29, 1841 and was named for Adair County, Kentucky, whence some of the early settlers came." The county in Kentucky was named for General John Adair of Mercer County, Kentucky, who served as governor of that state. (Violette, p. 40; Gannett, p. 16; Eaton, p. 201; RECORD OF CHARITON COUNTY, Part I, p. 11)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Banner School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bean Creek
Description:See Fabius River.
Source:Elliott, Katherine. "Place Names of Six Northeast Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.

Place name:Benton Township
Description:Benton Township was named for Senator Thomas H. Benton. At the time the township was organized, the different factions among the Democrats in Missouri came to be known as the "Hards" and the "Softs" or the Bentonites and the anti-Bentonites. Banking and currency issues were responsible for the origins of these factions. It is not known whether the Adair County Democracy was divided on the Benton controversy or not. During the years of 1841- 1845 eleven townships were mentioned in Adair County. Benton Township was one of these. (Violette, HIST. OF MISSOURI, pp. 261-267; Gannett, p. 43; Violette, p. 39)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Blanket Grove School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Brashear
Description:Named for Richard Brashear who asked the Quincy, Milan and Pattonsburg Railroad where they could and would locate a depot if a new town was established. They told him and they bought thirty acres of land and laid out the tract in town lots. It was laid out in 1872 and named for Mr. Brashear. (Miss Minnie Brashear; Violette, pp. 505-411; Eaton, p. 201; Campbell, p. 35)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bryant School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bullion
Description:Bullion is a small one-store village in Adair County named about 1872 for C.H. Bull, a banker of Quincy, Illinois, who was one of the original promoters of the Quincy, Missouri & Pacific Railway, now Quincy, Omaha & Kansas City Railroad. The name "Old Bullion" was given to Thomas Hart Benton because of his attitude toward hard money and this may have affected the ending of the name problem. (Violette, HIST. OF MISSOURI, pp. 261-67; J.G. Trimble, Names File No. 7)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bullion School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Bunker Hill School
Description:A borrowed name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Cater Church
Description:"The chapel was built in 1896-1897 by Rev. E.B. Carter and was named in his honor. This was a very appropriate tribute to his faithful service through thirty-one years as a circuit rider in Northern Missouri." The church is Methodist in denomination. (Violette, p. 121)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Chariton Mills
Description:These mills were located on the Chariton River, hence the name. (Fisher, Map; CLARK'S NEW SECTIONAL MAP)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Clay
Description:The village of Clay probably takes its name from the township (q.v.). (TOP, EDINA QUAD.)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Clay Township
Description:Named after Henry Clay. (Violette, p. 39)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:College Mound School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Connelsville
Description:"The Missouri and Iowa Townsite Company in 1902 purchased 124 acres of land joining the village of Nineveh and laid out a new town which they called Connelsville after the famous coal and coke town of that name in Pennsylvania." (Violette, p. 418; T.S. Sublette; Names File No. 3; Eaton, p. 201)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Connelsville School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Crawfordsville
Description:Thomas J. Dockery platted the town of Crawfordsville on land belonging to Allen Crawford, July 1, 1880. The railroad name was Crawford. It was discontinued in 1889. (HIST. OF ADAIR, p. 373; ADAIR COUNTY ATLAS, p. 75; MISSOURI GAZ., (1883), p. 448; MISSOURI GAZ., (1889), p. 472)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Curtis School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Danforth
Description:This village was platted by Surveyor Dockery on 1844. (It was probably named for Danforth, Illinois). (HIST. OF ADAIR, pp. 372-3; Gannett, p. 99)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Danforth School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Dover School
Description:A borrowed name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:East Center School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:East Kim Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Elliot School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fabius River
Description:Fabius River was named for the celebrated Roman consul. (Gannett, p. 123)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fairview School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Fegley
Description:This village was named for Avid Fegley, an old and prominent citizen of that community. (T.S. Sublette, Names File No. 7; TOP. MAP. QUEEN CITY)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Floyd's Creek
Description:Floyd's Creek was named for Jonathan Floyd. He and his two brothers, William and Simon came from Kentucky and settled on what later was known as Floyd's Creek. There was also a post office by this name in 1889; it was changed to Sperry (Miss Dola Caldwell, Names File No. 1; Gannett, p. 127; TOP. MAP, QUEEN CITY; MISSOURI GAZ., 1876-1877)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Garden Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gates School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gibbs
Description:Gibbs is the successor of Wilson. The town of Gibbs was laid out in 1877 on land which belonged to the Gibbs Land Company. The town remained unincorporated until 1894. (Eaton, p. 201; Violette, p. 422; TOP. MAP, EDINA)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Golden Rule School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Gopher Hill School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Green Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hays School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hazel Creek School
Description:Named for a creek or stream.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hazel Green School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Hilberton
Description:Hilberton was named for E.L. Hilbert on whose land the railroad station was located. (T.S. Sublette, Names File No. 4; TOP. MAP, QUEEN CITY)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ida
Description:Ida was a county post office in the western part of Adair County. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1879-1880, p. 309)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Illinois Bend School
Description:A borrowed name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Jasmine
Description:Jasmine was a small station. The railroad changed the name to Crawford evidently after A. Crawford who was postmaster. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 448; MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, p. 472)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Keller School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Kent School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Kirksville
Description:Before Kirksville was laid out the vicinity was known to some as Long Point and to others as Hopkinsville. The first white settlement in the county was known as "The Cabins." This settlement was six miles west of what is now known as Kirksville. By 1841, when the town was laid out, there were a few settlers living in the vicinity, among whom were Jesse Kirk, and David E. Sloan. Mr. Kirk kept a tavern. According to the tradition, Mrs. Kirk was cooking a turkey dinner the day the surveyors were completing their work. Mr. Kirk offered the surveyors a good turkey dinner and a good supply of whiskey if they would call the town Kirksville. The offer was accepted. (Eaton, p. 201; Violette, pp. 342-404; Gannett, p. 176; Stevens, SCRAP BOOK, p. 67; HIST. OF ADAIR, pp. 320-367; Miss Dale Caldwell, Names File No. 1)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Kohlmeyer School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Liberty School
Description:An abstract name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Liberty Township
Description:"Liberty Township was probably named after patriotic sentiment." It was established during the years 1841-1845. (Violette, p. 35, 39; Gannett, p. 186)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lindersville
Description:Lindersville was named for James H. Linder. It is given Linderville on the atlas. It was just a country village. (Miss Dola Caldwell, Names File No. 1; ADAIR COUNTY ATLAS, p. 59; Campbell, p. 38; MISSOURI GAZ., 1876- 1870, p. 297)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Loeffler
Description:Loeffler was a country post office. Henry Loeffler was the first postmaster so it was probably named from him. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, p. 770; Miss Dola Caldwell, Names File, No. 1)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Lone Star School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Maple Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:McKim School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Millard
Description:The town of Millard was surveyed and platted for S.F. and Maggie A. Miller in May, 1872. The name was probably formed from that of Miller. (Violette, p. 424; HIST. OF ADAIR, pp. 367-8; Eaton, p. 201; Campbell, p. 38)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Morelock School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Morrow Township
Description:Named after Judge J. Morrow, one of the original three county judges of the county. (Violette, p. 39)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mt. Caramel School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Mulberry School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:New Baden
Description:New Baden was surveyed in 1881 for George and Ann Shaw. It was probably named for Baden Borough in Pennsylvania. (Gannett, p. 34; HIST. OF ADAIR, p. 373)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:New Hope School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:New Zion School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Nind
Description:The name Nind was sent out by the post office department for this place and no one knows why the name was selected. (Miss Dola Caldwell, Names File No. 1)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Nineveh
Description:Dr. Keil, a minister of the Protestant Methodist Church founded the Nineveh colony and gave it the Biblical name. It was a religious colony and the net proceeds realized from the products of the various industries went into a general fund. Each member of the colony was a stockholder in every concern. It is thought that the colony was established about 1844. There are six other places in the United States bearing the name of the ancient capital of Assyria. (Violette, pp. 411-17; Eaton, p. 201; Gannett, p. 225; Campbell, p. 38; HIST. OF ADAIR, pp. 369-70)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Nineveh Township
Description:The township was named after the colony at Nineveh. The township was organized in 1865. (Violette, p. 39)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Normal Mound School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Novinger
Description:The first permanent white settlement in the county was made in 1830 within three or four miles of the town of Novinger. The first step in the making of the present town of Novinger was taken after the Quincy, Milan & Pacific Railroad, was extended west from Kirksville in 1878. In that year or at least the next, John C. Novinger laid out on his land a village which bore his name and which constitutes the original town of Novinger. Up to 1901, Novinger remained as far as local government was concerned a part of the Municipal Township of Nineveh. In 1901 it was incorporated as a city of the fourth class. (Violette, pp. 418-21; Eaton, p. 201)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oak Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Oklahoma School
Description:A borrowed name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Paultown School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Paulville (Paultown)
Description:One and one-half miles north of Brashear was a town called Paulville or Paultown. This town was laid out by Walker Paul. "It was laid out sometime before the war, probably about 1855. Mr. Paul thought his town would become an important place and laid out the plans very generously." In 1872, the building of the Quincy, Milan & Pacific Railroad proved to be the end of the town as the railroad did not come near the town limits. (Violette, pp. 405-11)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pettis Township
Description:Named after Spencer Pettis, who was Missouri's sole congressman from 1829-1831. He was killed in a duel with Major Biddle in 1831. (Violette, p. 39; Conrad, Vol. V, pp. 96-7)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pleasant Hill School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Polk Township
Description:Named in 1845 after James K. Polk. (Violette, p. 39)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Port Arthur School
Description:A borrowed name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Porter School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Prairie Bird
Description:A country post office. It was established about 1860 and discontinued in 1889. It was evidently named for the birds which are numerous there even to this time. (CLARK'S MAP, MISSOURI GAZ., 1876-7, p. 382; MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, p. 956)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Prairie Bird School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Prough School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Pure Air
Description:Pure Air was named by George Shaw, an Englishman, who conducted a health resort there, forty-five years ago. A post office was established about 1883. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 783; T.E. Sublette, Names File No. 4)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Radical Ridge School
Description:A name of unknown origin.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ringo's Point
Description:Ringo's Point was so called in honor of Joseph Ringo, one of the pioneers of 1841. The post office was discontinued in 1889. (Miss Dola Caldwell, Place Names File No. 1; HIST. OF ADAIR, pp. 373-4; Campbell, p. 38; MISSOURI GAZ., 1879, p. 390; MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, p. 978)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Ringo's Point School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Rural Dell School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Rye
Description:Rye was a small settlement with a post office which began in 1883. The mail was discontinued in 1889. It was probably named for the grain which was grown there. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 815; MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, p. 991)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Rye Creek School
Description:Named for a creek or stream.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Salisburg School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sand Creek
Description:Sand Creek was a country post office. There was no village there. The post office was discontinued in 1883. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1876- 7, p. 602; MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 1152)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Shibley's Point
Description:The Shibley family settled at this place and it was called Shibley's Point after them. It is now written Shibley Point. [Settled in 1840] (Eaton, p. 201; Violette, p. 423; HIST. OF ADAIR, p. 373; TOP. MAP, GREEN CITY; MISSOURI GAZ., 1879, p. 614; Campbell, p. 38; MISSOURI GAZ., 1860, p. 448)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Shibley's Point School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sloan School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sloan's Point
Description:Sloan's Point was named after Harvey Sloan, an early settler. The post office was discontinued in 1879. (Miss Dola Caldwell, Names File No. 1; Campbell, p. 38; MISSOURI GAZ., 1879-1880, p. 802)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:South Crawford School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sperry
Description:Sperry was named after a little town by the same name in Michigan. It was formerly known as Floyd's Creek post office. See Floyd's Creek. (T.E. Sublette, Names File No. 3) (TOP. MAP, EDINA)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sperry School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Stahl
Description:"Stahl was laid out in June, 1882 by S.F. Stahl who was at this time engaged in the coal mining business at this place." The town has not grown as the other coal mining towns of the county have grown. (Violette, p. 423; Eaton, p. 201; HIST. OF ADAIR, p. 372; TOP. MAP, GREEN CITY)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Stahl School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Star School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Stinson School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sublette
Description:Sublette was named for J.P. Sublette. It was platted in 1869. (Miss Dola Caldwell, Names File No. 1; Violette, p. 423; Eaton, p. 201; HIST. OF ADAIR, pp. 368-9; T.E. Sublette, Names File No. 4)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Sugar Creek School
Description:Named for a creek or stream.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Taylor Township
Description:Taylor Township was organized August 2, 1847 and named in honor of President Zachary Taylor. (HIST. OF ADAIR, p. 54)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Trinity School
Description:Named for a church.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Troy Mills
Description:Troy Mills received its name from the old woolen mills which were located south of Kirksville and established by Thomas Hulse. (Miss Dola Caldwell, Names File No. 1; Campbell, p. 337)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Troy Mills School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Walnut Township
Description:Walnut Township was organized in 1865. It received its name from the walnut forests in the township. (Violette, p. 39)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wells School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:West Center School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:West Elm Grove School
Description:A name of location.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Williams School
Description:A family name.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Willow Branch School
Description:Named for a creek or stream.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wilmathsville
Description:"Wilmathsville was surveyed and platted by W.B. McReynolds in 1856. He afterwards had a store on his farm and hired a man by the name of McLean to run his store." The village which grew up around the store was named for Mrs. McLean whose given name was Wilmoth. The correct way of spelling the town was Wilmothsville but now it is spelled Wilmathsville. Eaton says it was named for Wilmoth McLean. (Violette, p. 423; Eaton, p. 201)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wilmathsville School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wilson School
Description:Named for a town.
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Wilson Township
Description:Wilson Township and Wilson were named after Judge Joseph Wilson who was county judge in 1842 to 1844. The town is also known as Wilsontown. (Violette, p. 39; HIST. OF ADAIR, p. 372; Campbell, p. 38)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Yarrow
Description:The village of Yarrow was named for a river in Scotland. (Eaton, p. 201)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Youngstown
Description:Youngstown was surveyed by Tyler Paine and was named for George Young. The town was built on George Young's farm. (Eaton, p. 201; Violette, p. 1096)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Place name:Zig
Description:Zig was a post office named for Harrison Zeigler. (Eaton, p. 201; Miss Dola Caldwell, Names File No. 1; Campbell 1874, p. 38; MISSOURI GAZ., 1879-1880, p. 864; MISSOURI GAZ., 1898-9, p. 1485)
Source:Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names In The North Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

Go back to the top of the page | View other place names