Pemiscot County, named for Pemiscot Bayou, was organized in 1851. The county seat is Caruthersville. The collections listed below deal in some manner with Pemiscot County. This list is not comprehensive, so be sure to browse collection descriptions by subject.
*Collections marked with DIGITIZED MATERIALS have additional digitized items available.
American Legion Fair, Caruthersville, Missouri, Program Booklet, 1951, (R0890)
This is a "Souvenir Program" booklet for the American Legion Fair held at Caruthersville in Pemiscot County, Missouri, on 3-7 October 1951. Included are a history of the fair, a description of acts at the grandstand show, and a schedule of horse races.
Bootheel Project, Records, 1993-1997, (C3928)
3.2 linear feet, 161 audio cassettes, 9 records, 2 video cassettes
The records of the Bootheel Project document the art, culture and heritage of the Missouri Bootheel. The records include photographs, color slides, audio cassettes, transcripts, and video cassettes of interviews with Bootheel residents. Sound recordings, planning documents, field workers' notes, and miscellaneous items collected throughout the project are also included.
Carey, Scott (1884-1963), Papers, 1917-1961, (C2336)
The papers of Scott Carey contain correspondence, reports of arrests, affidavits, and photographs pertinent to Carey's work as a private detective and Frisco Lines agent in Scott and Pemiscot Counties. A private detective for more than fifty years, Carey was also a special officer for the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad in the Missouri Bootheel region.
Civil War Scrapbook, Missouri, 1823-1868, (C1379)
The papers contain a collection of newspaper clippings on Missouri, 1823-1868, from New York and Boston newspapers, primarily the New York Daily Tribune. Most of the items pertain to the Civil War in Missouri, 1861-1862, and include maps and diagrams of the war in the west.
First Baptist Church, Steele, Missouri, Papers, 1955-1957, (R0698)
This collection includes a Fiftieth Anniversary souvenir booklet (1955) for, and an invitation to a wedding (1957) at, the First Baptist Church of Steele in Pemiscot County, Missouri.
Franklin, John Eddy, Papers, 1946-1954, (C0319)
Recollections of life in southeast Missouri and Franklin's part in bank, land, and railroad development during the 1880s and 1890s. Poem and article by Alice Franklin Bryant; The Land of Corn, about Franklin's southeast Missouri plantation, by J.E. Wood; 2 letters; and newspaper clippings.
Gideon-Anderson Lumber & Mercantile Co., Papers, 1901-1938, (R0290)
This collection consists of correspondence and business papers of the Gideon-Anderson Lumber & Mercantile Company concerning the lumber trade in southeastern Missouri and northeastern Arkansas. Based in Gideon, Missouri, the company operated primarily in Dunklin, New Madrid, and Pemiscot counties in Missouri. The collection includes papers from two subsidiary operations, the Gideon Cooperage Company and the Gideon & North Island Railroad Company.
Gideon-Anderson Lumber & Mercantile Company, Papers, 1901-1985, (R0449)
This is an addition to the business records of the Gideon-Anderson Lumber & Mercantile Company (see also R0290), which operated at Gideon in New Madrid County, Missouri. Most of the papers concern operations in 1901-1919, but there are also papers of a subsidiary operation, the Gideon and North Island Railroad Company, 1903-1932, and historical materials on the firm to 1985.
Guitar, Sarah (1892-1963), Collection, n.d., (C3391)
1.5 linear feet
Card file compiled by Sarah Guitar, reference librarian of the State Historical Society of Missouri, as a guide to county boundaries of Missouri, 1812-1929; Missouri congressional district boundaries, 1845-1933; Missouri senatorial districts, 1820-1931; and Missouri judicial circuits, 1815-1915.
Kelley, Max L., Historical Essays on Southeast Missouri, n.d., (C0779)
Five articles including "The Heel of Missouri," "Consolidated School District Number 8," "Louis Houck, the Father of Southeast Missouri," "The Execution of Tewanya," and "The Awakening of the Big Swamp."
Little River Valley Land Company, Booklet, ca. 1908, (R0946)
1 folder, photocopies
This is a promotional booklet for the Little River Valley Land Company, which marketed land made available by the drainage of the swamps in southeastern Missouri. A. L. Harty served as president and W. F. Smith served as secretary of the firm, which was based at Cape Girardeau in Cape Girardeau County, Missouri.
Mark Twain National Forest, Local History Collection, 1930s-1980s, (R0471)
This collection was selected from unofficial files on miscellaneous historical topics, including local histories, the CCC, the YCC, the "Irish Wilderness," and the Eleven Point River. There are transcriptions of interviews with "old-timers" and Forest Service retirees.
Missouri Extension Homemakers Association, Inc., Sacred Stones & Stained Glass Windows, Project, (C3723)
7.1 linear feet
Statewide documentation of local churches by county. Includes cultural arts reports, church histories, floor plans, architectural details, clippings, slides, photographs, and miscellany.
Moark Land & Timber Co., Records, 1898-1903, (R0068)
These are financial records of a timber exploitation and lumber business in the Bootheel section of Missouri. Franklin Johnson Cunningham managed the firm and its headquarters were at Caruthersville in Pemiscot County, Missouri.
Politics in Missouri Oral History Project, Records, 1996-, (C3929)
1.8 linear feet
Interviews with Missouri legislators, politicians, aides, and other participants in Missouri politics. The records include audio cassettes, compact discs, and transcripts of the interviews.
Presbytery of Missouri, Minutes, 1920-1943, (C1353)
0.2 linear feet
The records contain official copies of minutes of the Presbytery of Missouri. Minutes for 1920-1939 are bound; others are in pamphlet form.
Presbytery of Missouri Records, 1817-1920, (C1354)
1.4 linear feet, 6 oversize volumes
The records of the Presbytery of Missouri contain minutes, reports, and other records of an organization composed of ministers and representative elders of Presbyterian churches in Missouri. Volumes 1-6 have been microfilmed. Volume 7 is available onsite. See also collection C1353.
Ramsay Place Names File 1928-1945, (C2366)
12 cubic feet
Card file of origins of Missouri place names, compiled by students of Robert L. Ramsay, University of Missouri professor of English.
Ramsay, Robert L. (1880-1953), Papers, 1918-1953, (C3230)
2.5 linear feet
The Robert Ramsay Papers includes correspondence, 1918-1953; notes, rough drafts, revisions, and proof sheets for the Place Name series, with emphasis upon the Missouri Place Names; newspaper clippings about Ramsay and newspaper clippings of the Place Name articles. Small volumes of notes and a variety of prints pertaining to his academic classes are included as well as sample themes and bibliographies submitted by his students.
Saint Francis Levee District, Records, 1893-1980, (R0076)
8 volumes, 1 folder
These are ledgers, minute books, and financial records of the Saint Francis Levee District. The District was organized in 1893, and reorganized in 1913. It includes parts of Dunklin, New Madrid, and Pemiscot counties in Missouri.
Southeast Missouri Drummers' Association, Souvenir Program, 1910, (R0680)
1 folder, photocopies
This is the souvenir program of the fourteenth annual meeting of the Southeast Missouri Drummers' Association, held at Sikeston, Scott County, Missouri, 26-28 May 1910. The program features a schedule of events, descriptions of prominent Scott County businesses, photographs of officers and members of the association, and views of businesses, residences, and public buildings in Sikeston.
St. Louis-San Francisco Railway Company, Records, 1859-1980, (R0362)
635 items in 56 cartons
These are corporate minutes and financial account books, and other records of the St. Louis-San Francisco ("Frisco") Railway Company (1916-1980) and predecessor, subsidiary, and constituent companies, most notably the St. Louis & San Francisco Railway (1876-1896) and the St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad (1896-1916). The "Frisco" operated in Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida. It became part of the Burlington Northern Railroad in 1980.
State Historical Society of Missouri, Typescript Collection, (C0995)
774 items on 14 rolls of microfilm
The State Historical Society of Missouri Typescript Collection consists of typescripts of articles and manuscripts donated over the years to the Historical Society.
Stewart, Goah W., Letters, 1864, (R0699)
1 folder, typescripts
These are transcripts of two letters by Capt. Goah W. Stewart of Company K, 1st Missouri Infantry (CSA), to his sister in Pemiscot County, Missouri. The letters briefly note his escape from Gratiot Prison in St. Louis, and the Battle of Franklin, Tennessee, in which he was wounded.
The Missouri Collection, (C3982)
The Missouri Collection is an artificial collection combining miscellaneous small acquisitions related to Missouri places, individuals, organizations, and events.
U.S. Work Projects Administration, "Church Bibliography, Baptist Bodies of Missouri, Associational Minutes," 1941, (C1312)
The collection contains a list of the various Baptist associations in Missouri and the dates for which their records are in existence.
U.S. Work Projects Administration, Historical Records Survey, Missouri, 1935-1942, (C3551)
302 linear feet; also available on 817 rolls of microfilm
Correspondence, records, and working files. Originally designed to survey and inventory all county government records, the survey finally included inventories of church records, manuscript collections, vital statistics, American imprints, and federal archives. Incorporates records of the Federal Writers Project for Missouri.