Harrison County was organized in 1845. The county seat is Bethany. The collections listed below deal in some manner with Harrison County. This list is not comprehensive, so be sure to browse collection descriptions by subject.
Civil War Scrapbook, Missouri, 1823-1868, (C1379)
The papers contain a collection of newspaper clippings on Missouri, 1823-1868, from New York and Boston newspapers, primarily the New York Daily Tribune. Most of the items pertain to the Civil War in Missouri, 1861-1862, and include maps and diagrams of the war in the west.
Guitar, Sarah (1892-1963), Collection, n.d., (C3391)
1.5 linear feet
Card file compiled by Sarah Guitar, reference librarian of the State Historical Society of Missouri, as a guide to county boundaries of Missouri, 1812-1929; Missouri congressional district boundaries, 1845-1933; Missouri senatorial districts, 1820-1931; and Missouri judicial circuits, 1815-1915.
Jones, P.S. and Luther, Letter, 1836, (C0536)
To James Jones Family, High Hill, MO, from Moons Bluff, MS, Mar. 24, 1836. Discuss living conditions, weather, and local gossip.
Leazenby, Grant, "A Story of an Emigrant People," n.d., (C0747)
Reminiscences of the author's boyhood in Cainsville, Harrison County, MO. Recounts the lives of prominent Czechoslovakian immigrants in the community, describing their history as a people, their country, and the area they finally settled in.
Missouri Extension Homemakers Association, Inc., Sacred Stones & Stained Glass Windows, Project, (C3723)
7.1 linear feet
Statewide documentation of local churches by county. Includes cultural arts reports, church histories, floor plans, architectural details, clippings, slides, photographs, and miscellany.
Missouri, Harrison County, "Hall of Fame," 1967, (SUNP0536)
Copy of the Inaugural Program of the Hall of Fame, Nov. 1967, with pictures.
Presbytery of Missouri, Minutes, 1920-1943, (C1353)
0.2 linear feet
The records contain official copies of minutes of the Presbytery of Missouri. Minutes for 1920-1939 are bound; others are in pamphlet form.
Presbytery of Missouri Records, 1817-1920, (C1354)
1.4 linear feet, 6 oversize volumes
The records of the Presbytery of Missouri contain minutes, reports, and other records of an organization composed of ministers and representative elders of Presbyterian churches in Missouri. Volumes 1-6 have been microfilmed. Volume 7 is available onsite. See also collection C1353.
Ramsay Place Names File 1928-1945, (C2366)
12 cubic feet
Card file of origins of Missouri place names, compiled by students of Robert L. Ramsay, University of Missouri professor of English.
Skelton, S. W., "A Brief History of Lincoln Township, Harrison County, Missouri," 1962, (C2123)
The papers contain a history of the settlement of Lincoln Township, growth of Hatfield, settlers, property owners, outstanding citizens, educational facilities, businesses, churches. Sketches of Hatfield in 1894, 1910, and 1962.
Soetaert, Opal, "The Pioneer Edson School," n.d., (C2190)
The papers contain a history of education and the Edson School, Harrison County, Missouri and genealogy of Edson and Needham families.
The Missouri Collection, (C3982)
The Missouri Collection is an artificial collection combining miscellaneous small acquisitions related to Missouri places, individuals, organizations, and events.
U.S. Work Projects Administration, "Church Bibliography, Baptist Bodies of Missouri, Associational Minutes," 1941, (C1312)
The collection contains a list of the various Baptist associations in Missouri and the dates for which their records are in existence.
U.S. Work Projects Administration, Historical Records Survey, Missouri, 1935-1942, (C3551)
302 linear feet; also available on 817 rolls of microfilm
Correspondence, records, and working files. Originally designed to survey and inventory all county government records, the survey finally included inventories of church records, manuscript collections, vital statistics, American imprints, and federal archives. Incorporates records of the Federal Writers Project for Missouri.