Louis S. Curtiss (1865 - 1924)
Louis S. Curtiss was a prominent Kansas City architect known for his innovative buildings. During the course of his career, he designed over two hundred structures for clients across the country.
He was born “Louis S. Curtis” on July 1, 1865, to Don Carlos Curtis and Frances Deaver Curtis, in Belleville, Ontario, Canada. He later changed the spelling of his surname to “Curtiss.”
Little is known about Curtiss’s early years. He reportedly studied architecture at the University of Toronto and the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris, France. Throughout his life, Curtis periodically traveled to Europe to study architecture.
In 1887 Curtiss settled in Kansas City, Missouri, where he worked as a draftsman for one of the city’s most prominent architectural firms, Van Brunt & Howe. Two years later, Curtiss was appointed assistant to the Superintendent of Buildings in Kansas City.
In 1890 he partnered with Frederick C. Gunn to found the architectural firm Gunn and Curtiss. Over a ten-year period, Gunn and Curtiss designed more than a dozen distinctive buildings across the country, including churches, courthouses, and hotels.
Several examples of their work still exist today, including the Henry County Courthouse in Clinton, Missouri; the Tarrant County Courthouse in Fort Worth, Texas; St. Patrick’s Parish Catholic Church in Emerald, Kansas; and the Cabell County Courthouse in Huntington, West Virginia.
In 1893 Gunn and Curtiss designed the Missouri State Building for the Chicago World’s Fair. Millions of visitors saw the impressive Beaux Arts building before it was dismantled after the fair ended. Five years later the partnership dissolved.
Working alone, Curtiss designed a number of residences, churches, and commercial buildings in Kansas City. He became friends with fellow Canadians Thomas and Bernard Corrigan, brothers and business partners who made their fortune in street railways, real estate, and construction in Kansas City. Bernard Corrigan became one of Curtiss’s most loyal patrons.
Curtiss became well-known not only for his designs, but also for his eccentric behavior. One of the first individuals to own an automobile in Kansas City, Curtiss loved to roar through the streets in his Winton runabout which had a top speed of thirty miles an hour. He dressed entirely in white clothing, cut his own hair, and paid his rent in gold instead of cash. Curtiss’s eccentricities did not stop him from becoming a success.
In 1905 Curtiss established a fruitful relationship with the Santa Fe Railroad, designing a number of train depots and buildings for the company. This led to him designing hotels and restaurants for the Fred Harvey Company, which specialized in providing dining and lodging services to rail travelers across the United States.
He continued to design residential and commercial buildings. In 1908 Curtiss designed the first metal-and-glass curtain-wall structure in the world for businessman Charles W. Boley, who wanted a building “with light and plenty of it.” Unlike most buildings constructed at this time, the Boley Building lacked ornamentation, and instead featured a plain, metal and glass façade. Although the building’s design was visionary, not everyone liked its stark appearance.
One of Curtiss’s most striking designs was the Bernard Corrigan residence. The house, a blend of Prairie and Art Nouveau architectural styles accentuated with traditional Japanese motifs, was one of his masterpieces.
Curtiss died on June 24, 1924, while seated at his drawing board. He is buried in an unmarked grave in Mt. Washington Cemetery in Kansas City. Fewer than forty of his buildings survive.