Senator Thomas F. Eagleton and Society trustee Henry J. Waters III established the Eagleton-Waters Book Award to recognize the author of the best book published on the political history of Missouri. The award is presented biennially, and winners receive a certificate and $1,000. The executive director selects a committee to review the nominations, which are received from publishers and authors. The award will next be given in 2015. Books copyrighted in 2013 or 2014 will be eligible for nomination.
Eagleton-Waters Book Award Recipients
- James N. Giglio — Call Me Tom: The Life of Thomas F. Eagleton
- James McGrath Morris — Pulitzer: A Life in Politics, Print and Power
- Jay H. Buckley — William Clark: Indian Diplomat
- Dennis K. Boman — Lincoln’s Resolute Unionist: Hamilton Gamble, Dred Scott Dissenter and Missouri’s Civil War Governor
- Lana Stein — St. Louis Politics: The Triumph of Tradition
- Christopher Phillips — Missouri’s Confederate: Claiborne Fox Jackson and the Creation of Southern Identity in the Border West